The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2013, 12:06 AM   #1
sigshepardo

Interested in the 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm interested in learning more about the 6.5 Creedmoor. What rifle would this caliber be best suited in? What are its effective ranges? What personal experiences do you guys have with the 6.5? Thanks
Old January 29, 2013, 01:24 AM   #2
alex0535

Hornady has pretty good data on their factory 6.5 creedmoor ammunition.

Go onto their website and do an ammunition search for 6.5 creedmoor.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:33 AM   #3
chipchip

I just bought a Ruger M77 Markll VT in 6.5 Creedmoor and it should be here Wednesday. Ruger is also chambering it in their Hawkeye Preditor and standard Hawkeye. Hornady make the ammo and Nosler is getting into the act as well.
Supposed to be very accurate round.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:45 AM   #4
steveNChunter

Im pretty sure Hornady is the only one who makes factory 6.5 creedmoor ammo and you can only get it in their "Superformance" and "Match" lines

Ive never fired a round of 6.5 creedmoor but everyone Ive heard of who has a Savage chambered for it are very pleased.

Savage and Hornady are closely linked anyway so it makes sense that they would design their rifles with Hornady ammo in mind.

You could always ditch the 6.5 creedmoor idea and get a .260 remington
Old January 29, 2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Mezzanine

Ive got the DPMS LR6.5, all i can say is WOW. This rifle and cartridge are scary accurate. Its heavy but man that thing shoots tight. Only complaint is the trigger on the DPMS. Effective ranges for what? Hunting or groups? I havent shot it past 400yds but im sure its good well beyond that. The only thing about the Creedmoor is finding the Creedmoor. My Gander Mtn doesnt carry it, nor would i pay the outlandish prices they would want, the LGS is constantly sold out and Cabelas is an hour away with a 50/50 shot of it being in stock. Brownells has been out for the duration of the scare, found some elsewhere online with a bit of searching at a reasonable price, $26 per box. If you reload thats a non-issue.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:50 AM   #6
tobnpr

Quote:
What rifle would this caliber be best suited in? What are its effective ranges?
For what use?

Range- as far as you're able to shoot it. The 6.5's have excellent ballistics and are one of the best for long range target.

Look, it all comes down to the intended use of the rifle, and the range.
If it's target use, energy at any range is irrelevant.

If it's hunting, then energy has all the relevance...and the choice depends on the game, and the maximum range.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Geo_Erudite

I own a Savage model 16 fcss in 6.5 Creedmoor and I love it. Browning, DPMS, Thompson Center, Savage, and Ruger all carry rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The cartridge itself was designed off the .30 T/C, which is a shortened .308. It has a 30 degree shoulder, and the body has less of a taper compared to .260 or .308. The shortened length of the case is what makes this cartridge excel when it comes to the longer 140+ grain bullets. The shortened case allows these longer bullets to be seated with less intrusion into the case compared to the .260. When you subtract bullet intrusion from the .260's case capacity with these longer bullets, the .260 has a minimal 0.7 grain advantage. When you combine the 30 degree shoulder (20 degree shoulder in .260), reduced body taper, and shorter case length you get a more efficient cartridge that burns less powder and gets the same numbers as the .260. If you reload, that means more bang for your buck. If you don't, the Creedmoor Hornady ammo is less costly compared to the .260. Hornady offers match ammo in 120 and 140 grain A-Max and cost around $26/box. Nosler will start producing ammunition for the 6.5 Creedmoor this spring, as well as brass. One of Nosler's 6.5 Creedmoor loads will be match ammo ($40/box).