The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 1, 2012, 06:26 PM   #26
FrosSsT

shockwave - im referring to my local dicks sporting goods manager - not state law. I cannot speak for any other dicks store because the only one I have been to is the one by me (the next closest store is far away)
Old April 1, 2012, 10:25 PM   #27
arcticap

So who would be the person prosecuted if the store sold handgun ammo without the proper ID card and what could the potential penalties be?
Old April 2, 2012, 09:54 AM   #28
Uncle Buck

Arcticap ~ That is a very interesting point of view. I never thought about it from that side of the discussion.
Old April 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #29
FrosSsT

articap - like i said, its .223 remington is not under NJ state law considered handgun ammo
Old April 2, 2012, 01:21 PM   #30
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrosSsT
articap - like i said, its .223 remington is not under NJ state law considered handgun ammo
That wasn't my question though.
My question was about if it were handgun ammo, who is the responsible party, the corporation, the manager or the cashier?
Some party must be legally responsible for the sale.
So which party is it, all, part or none?
How can someone know who to blame for the decision without knowing which party or parties are legally responsible?

For instance in CT, if a store sells cigarettes to a minor, the cashier gets arrested and the business gets fined and could lose its license.

The liability for a corporation selling ammo can also be about who can be held liable if someone gets shot with the ammo. A civil lawyer might try to sue and claim that the ammo was sold illegally, or that the company didn't enforce it's own corporate policy of requiring a firearm ID card from the buyer, even if the ammo could only potentially be used in a pistol.

Last edited by arcticap; April 4, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old April 2, 2012, 03:39 PM   #31
Sweet Shooter

Ahh yes... Dick's Sporting Goods, where the experts and experienced work, and the Jobsworth award gathers dust on the shelf in the managers office.

Help a customer? when?
Old April 2, 2012, 05:07 PM   #32
Cascade1911

I don't know how similar the NJ law is to the NY law but here in NY you can purchase handgun ammo such as .357, 45 colt, 44 mag etc as long as you tell them it is for a rifle. I know people who have their wives pick up ammo at Wall-Mart doing this.
Old April 2, 2012, 06:37 PM   #33
FrosSsT

articap - i understand what your trying to say now, but heres how i feel: if your going to sell something, whatever it may be (alcohol, medication, firearms, life insurance, tobacco etc) you must know the laws. I dont expect everyone to know every single little detail about everything - but something as simple as telling the difference between long gun and handgun is something everybody who deals with firearms transfers should know.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:15 PM   #34
Maximus856

I'd rather right a complaint to the state of NJ than Dicks. If the laws of NJ were a bit more lenient, it wouldn't be an issue at all. The Dicks Sporting Goods in my area would ask if the .22LR ammo I was buying was for a pistol and would sell it to me if I said no (while under 21).

The way I look at it is this: If he wasn't sure I think he had every right not too. If for *whatever* reason something went wrong, its his job on the line. Could he of asked you to wait and double checked with somebody, most certainly. I think the possibility of having a person wait and possibly still not come up with an answer may leave the customer fairly irrate.

The laws and those who enforce them are twisted. My girlfriend was working at a Wawa when she asked to see the ID of someone who was clearly older then 35. The guy got a bit belligerent when he said he wasn't going to show it to her, so she said sorry no sale. It turned out he was a secret shopper, and had she not done so could of done so, it could of been a bad thing for her and the store. If they are like that with Tobacco in PA, I can't even think of what NJ does to enforce their firearms/ammo laws.
Old April 3, 2012, 09:21 AM   #35
cnimrod

also in NJ

I always bought my ammo in a local mom and pop sporting goods store, however those are getting harder and harder to find. Every sales clerk is different I wouldn't blame the chain. It is annoying but until the boss and I retire we're stuck here
Old April 3, 2012, 06:14 PM   #36
FrosSsT

cnimrod - i too am stuck in this anti gun state....it sucks...
Old April 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #37
gvw3

Try IL

Sounds good that you don't need a lic to buy rifle or shotgun ammo. In Illinois you need it to buy any ammo.
Old April 3, 2012, 07:47 PM   #38
war_elephant

Actually, they were told on the Corporate level, by the NJSP that they could not sell any ammo to anyone without a NJ FAID. This is a NJ wide policy that was handed down from corporate. The managers dont have a choice if they want to keep their jobs. The real culprit is the NJSP, giving different information on different days, most of it wrong. Then they will charge you for following their advice.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:55 PM   #39
FrosSsT

war elephant - It is NOT a policy according to everyone whom I have contacted on this issue - and the NJSP enforce the law, they do not make the law. If they told a corporation to do something, the corporation has the obligation both for its customers and itself to research and know the law. I would not jump off a bridge if a state trooper told me to.

Last edited by FrosSsT; April 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:03 PM   #40
Stevie-Ray

When I bought my last shotgun it was at Dick's. I think their name fits their counter guys. When I showed him my CPL, he said "So?" I said, "Well I just thought you'd want to know since you can skip the instant check." He said, "Here, we do it anyway." Putz. Not very professional at all. Good price though, so I bit my tongue.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:22 PM   #41
Don P

Quote:
When I bought my last shotgun it was at Dick's. I think their name fits their counter guys. When I showed him my CPL, he said "So?" I said, "Well I just thought you'd want to know since you can skip the instant check." He said, "Here, we do it anyway
Different to a degree here in FLA. When I purchased my shot gun they were polite and knowledgeable. Politely asked if i had a CCW permit and stated and did so wave the charge for the NICS check. Nice folks down here in a super gun friendly state.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 6, 2012, 10:59 PM   #42
FrosSsT

"nice folks down here in a super gun friendly state"

wish I could say the same, but nope - the dicks sporting goods around me got their name from the way there employees act.
Old April 7, 2012, 06:13 AM   #43
shortwave

FrosSsT,

Per your posts regarding NJ laws and information you've gathered implying this particular store manager is not only impeding the law, but Dicks store policy, why not call corporate and file a complaint? Your complaint should state managers name along with the fact that he(manager) is arbitrarily picking ammo as he see's fit to include in the list of 'handgun ammo' rather then abiding by the law and Dick's store policy.

I'm sure Dick's Corp. would love to know that they have a manager setting his own rules/laws costing them $ and customers.
Old April 7, 2012, 06:51 AM   #44
Cascade1911

Quote:
Putz. Not very professional at all. Good price though, so I bit my tongue.

Maybe price isn't everything.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #45
shortwave

Quote:
BINGO!

It's principle

In FrosSsT's situation, if there was a store manager adding his/her own rules to already existing pathetic laws, it wouldn't matter if the store was giving guns(or anything else) away, just don't give them your business period. Course, whether they(store) got my business or not would depend on how Corp. responded to my complaint. Too if I decided never to buy a product from the store again, Corp. would know my reasoning behind my decision.

In other words, I'd handle the situation same as business's with the ' NO GUNS ALLOWED' signs.

They have the right to post em, I have the right to spend $ elsewhere.

But I always make it a point to give one of my cards, which politely states the reason I won't shop there to the owner/manager of the business.
Old April 7, 2012, 01:48 PM   #46
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Price IS everything, when LGS decides they can charge $60 more for the same item and not even come down half-way so I would give them my business. Being rigid on your price just because you think it's good enough definitely isn't everything.
Old April 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #47
FrosSsT

shortwave - I have contacted corporate and they are looking into it, they said they would call me back within a few days and its been a almost 10 days
Old April 12, 2012, 03:24 PM   #48
FireForged

eh, down here in the "South" any dicks-sporting-goods I have visited just hands you the ammo and you carry it around until you pay for it at the front registers. Just a regional thing i guess.
Old April 12, 2012, 05:16 PM   #49
FrosSsT

fireforged - do they ask a firearms ID card for "handgun" ammunition?
Old April 13, 2012, 06:26 AM   #50
Don P

Quote:
eh, down here in the "South" any dicks-sporting-goods I have visited just hands you the ammo and you carry it around until you pay for it at the front registers
Dick's in Daytona Beach has all the ammo on shelves in the general shopping area and you pick what you want. Nothing behind the counter except rifles and shotguns
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.