The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 25, 2010, 01:54 PM   #1
MosinM38

Double-ringing a scope behind turret.

Okay I got a question for the experts, I couldn't find any so I came here. ( Just kidding).

My question, I've got a picatinny rail that doesn't go quite far enough forward to mount some scopes.

The scope(s) I plan on using are short, straight tubes, no forward bell.

My question is, can I install two rings behind the adjustment turrets (Or three rings if there is room), and leave the section of tube ahead of the turrets unsupported?

I know having two (or three) rings behind the turret is not as good as one in front and one in back. But is it actually BAD?

With that much supporting area, it should be good enough....shouldn't it?

I appreciate any responses, as this I really don't know.

Thanks.
Old December 25, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Crosshair

What kind of rifle are you using?
Old December 25, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Pat T

This sounds iffy. A scope with a two piece tube is going to twang like a ruler on the end of a table when you fire it mounted like this, especially a heavy recoiling rifle. Even a one piece would be prone to failure due to flex stress. There has to be a better mount system for your application, just trying to save you some headache.
Old December 25, 2010, 06:13 PM   #4
MosinM38

It's on an AK, 7.62X39.

And on a note to cut off the AR15 guys speech of "It's an AK, why bother?".....just don't It shoots just under 3" at a hundred yards, that's almost as good as a FAL, and alot of people scope them

It had a Weaver 1-3X on it and was good, but that scope went kaput in under two months and 600 rounds.

It's using a side-mount, and the rail don't go real far forward. All the other side-mounts I've looked at don't extend and farther.

And of the several "dogleg" mounts, which attach to the rear tang and the rear sight, I've just not been happy. The TexasWeaponsSystem rail doesn't extend any farther than my side mount, and the DPH arms Quick-Detach version looks a little bulky (but usable if I have to).

I've been searching for a short-eye-relief scope, but most seem to be around 4"+ AND have the turret set far ahead.

I have one question: What is a one piece and what is a two piece tube? I googled but could only come up with 1 & 2 piece mounts.

Are they fixed (1 piece) and variables (2 piece)?

Thanks for the help so far.
Old December 26, 2010, 12:14 AM   #5
MosinM38

Found out what a 1-2 piece scope was (duh!) by looking at them,.
Old December 26, 2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Pat T

The scope mfgrs usually will tell you the type of construction but sometimes you have to dig for it. I'm not familiar with what is available for mounts on an AK, Mosin, but I bet if you checked out Larue Tactical, Daniels Defense, Bravo Company, Brownells, etc someone should have a rail that will work for you. Sorry I can't be more help than that. Good luck with this, and enjoy it much when you get it set up!

Pat
Old January 4, 2011, 01:12 PM   #7
precision_shooter

Quote:
It had a Weaver 1-3X on it and was good, but that scope went kaput in under two months and 600 rounds.
Did you have this scope mounted with only a ring or rings behind the turrets? If so, then I think you answered your own question about what it will do to a scope...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 4, 2011, 07:20 PM   #8
MosinM38

Nope, the rings were one in front, one in back. It went "poof" so quickly, I am thinking (hoping) it was just a lemon. Seems like the V3 Weavers have a pretty good reputation.

I'm sending the V3 back to Weaver tomorrow. See what comes of it I guess.....

Never did get a good answer on double-ringing a scope so: I'm trying extended rings first, if that absolutely don't work.

I'll *bangs head against wall* drop the money and get a Beryl-style rail from Krebs. $315 shipped for just the mount...

But: The DPH arms Beryl mount doesn't look solid enough up front.
And the TWS mount doesn't extend any farther forward than my side mount.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:01 AM   #9
precision_shooter

Is your base a 1 piece or 2?

If it's a 1 piece base, you may try a cantelever mount like used on AR-15's. The rings are built into a mounting base as all 1 piece or you can get the individual cantelever rings. The rings come up from the base and extend forward at an angle thus moving the optic forward without having to move the base forward.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. Here is a link to what i'm talking about.

http://www.nelsontactical.com/produc...ugmpmav1kafuk7
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 8, 2011, 12:43 PM   #10
MosinM38

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked into cantilevers, and might be an option. My problem is all the cantilevers also raise the rings up quite a bit. I think it'll be too much but I don't know. Whenever a gunshow comes around I can experiment with them then

But I appreciate the help! I like getting ideas and opinions.
Old January 8, 2011, 10:32 PM   #11
ChadCD

I use a large single ring on one of mine:

Old January 11, 2011, 08:44 AM   #12
MosinM38

Cool. From the mount, I assume it's on a AR15?