The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Homerboy

Installing ghost ring sights on older Rem 870

The newer 870 Tacticals come with a picatinny rail nd a GRS installed, but my 8 year old 870 Express does not. I really don't need a rail, but I would like to put a grs on my 870 (the receiver is not tapped for one), and maybe change the bead sight to a better front sight. Is this possible, and is it easy to do? I don't want to drill into my shotgun unless I am confident I can get the sight on.
Old December 25, 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
zippy13

There are GRS's for Remingtons that are clamped to the barrel's rib, replace the rifle-type sights on slug barrels, or are receiver mounted, like you want.

Just like mounting a scope base on a rifle that isn't pre-drilled, you need to drill and tap your receiver to mount the GRS. IMHO, it's a job best done by some one who's done it before. For more on this, see the thread Double Duty Pump with Ghost Ring Sights