The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 3, 2010, 08:52 PM   #1
hot sauce

A few M1A Socom II questions

Hey everyone! I've been so busy and trying to save money so I stopped looking at guns/forums for a while but just put one of these on lay-a-way. Yep I'm stoked....

Anyway any info of some good gear I can trick her out with would be appreciated.

Are the 25 round checkmate mags any good?

What optics do you guys use on these rifles? Seems like a lot of eye relief for a scope and the only optic that would work is a red dot. Please correct me if I'm wrong b/c I do not know much about these rifles.

Any pics you guys have of tricked out M1A's I'd love to see btw. Thanks for looking and I'll check back in a few days.
Old August 4, 2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Maximus4427

M1A

My M1A/Loaded shoots one ragged hole as is. I don't need to trick it out.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Longdayjake

Well, the socom isn't really known as a long range gun (though it can do okay at it) so it shouldn't be that important to put a nice scope on it. It won't stabalize the heavy long range bullets anyway so its kind of a moot point. A red dot or scout scope will do just fine. You will probably want something though because that front sight is probably the WORST front sight on any gun I have ever shot. IT IS HUGE!
Old August 4, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
hot sauce

Thanks guys. I cant wait to get it. So what kind of range should I expect from this gun?
Old August 4, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
THORN74

with the 16" barrel on the socom u shouldnt have problem out to 500-600 yrds .... i have the 18" Scout and it hits 600+ np

btw.... thats a great gun, but im not a fan of the whole huge rail system on it. thats why i went with the scout
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old August 4, 2010, 09:07 PM   #6
hot sauce

Thanks
Old August 4, 2010, 09:10 PM   #7
IZinterrogator

I love it when people complain about the front sight. If they weren't shooting bullseyes vs. silhouettes, they would notice that the white stripe and the tritium stripe are as wide as a silhouette at 200 and 300 yards, respectively. Lining up the edges of the stripe with the edges of the silhouette puts it center mass everytime.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old August 5, 2010, 04:25 PM   #8
glock 2026

Dont listen , i have a soccom ii with luepold scout scope , and long distance ,like 300 yard i can put all rds in bottom of can . Dont listen save your pennies , worth every dime . Just only time i seen another one in person is never.They are rare to see , probally because of cost. I only wish it was a little quietier . i cant re-member how many grains ,but mine loves reloader 15 powder too. If u reload , 308 you will reload soon , if u like to shoot. And i am very happy with gun glad i could buy, dont ever regret it.Last gun i would sell , HEAVY AND LOUD UNDER AN OVERHANG only negetives and i got gun.