The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old June 5, 2009, 04:31 AM   #1
BMSMA

"strikes" instead of closure

I understand that forum moderators have a large job with limited tools, but is there any way to "give strikes" or such to individuals who continually cause strife on the forums.

I don't usually get to check the forum until the wee hours of the morning, and by that time many of the interesting or "colorful" post are closed due to the postings of a few who cannot seem to control their words.

I understand you guys have a big job. Thanks a lot for what you guys do.
Old June 5, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Yes, we have an infraction system and we use it. However, unless you are the member receiving the infraction, it won't be at all obvious that it was given.

Threads that are closed are seldom closed due to only one or two members misbehaving in it even though it may appear that way on the surface. Often there are deleted posts that added to the decision to close, or the topic itself was on shaky grounds from the gitgo.

If any member thinks a thread should be re-opened for a good reason, they only have to PM the moderator who closed it stating their case for re-opening it. Re-opening a thread only so a member can add their "two cents" is not a good reason.
Old June 7, 2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I sort of liked the old days when we just mailed the offender a rattlesnake...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

We ran out of rattlesnakes. With the snake wranglers charging a lot more for one these days due to the high demand, we decided to go with a gentler approach. Now, if and when the economy improves ...
Old June 7, 2009, 02:11 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

I'm sure someone in India (or elsewhere in Asia or Africa) could be convinced to procure cobras (of some variety) for that purpose for cheap...

An elegant snake-in-the-mail, for a more civilized age?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 7, 2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Kraits would be a much better solution: smaller, lighter, and considerably more subtle.

Wandering Thoughts
Old June 8, 2009, 01:08 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I'm sure someone in India (or elsewhere in Asia or Africa) could be convinced to procure cobras (of some variety) for that purpose for cheap..."

Oh that's just frigging great, Tyme!

You're one of the reasons why this country is in such a freaking financial mess these days!

Just another person more than happy to send good American jobs overseas!

Old June 8, 2009, 09:03 AM   #8
grymster2007

Hey Mike,

Did I do something wrong? Found a rattler in my driveway yesterday. While I was seperating it's head from it's body with a shovel, Mrs. Grymster kept asking me why I was grumbling about TLF and Mike Irwin and how I didn't do nuthin' to deserve this and how I was gonna get even and....
Old June 8, 2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unless it had proper postage, it wasn't from us.

You've made an enemy out there somewhere...

Old June 10, 2009, 02:33 AM   #10
BMSMA

Thanks for answering the question guys... that's good to know.

And yeah... I'm all for reverting to the snakes thing... sounds like it would solve problems with the repeat offenders.

BMSMA
Old June 10, 2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

Good - time to close this before someone gets bitten.
Closed Thread