The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 22, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
old chuck

colt 1861 special musket

Am getting a colt 1861 musket,58 cal,repo from colt blackpowder.Any thoughts on a load and I have real b/p.Would like to roll some cartriges for it.I have read articles on how to do that but cant find any info.thanks for any help..chuck
Old November 22, 2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Hawg

Original charge for the U.S. Springfield was 60 grs. I use tea bags to make paper cartridges but they're not historically accurate. I wrap it around the minie with the base of the bullet greased and glue it in place with Elmer's glue. Then I have a wooden dowel slightly smaller than bullet diameter. I wrap the paper around it and glue it together. Once the glue dries I fill it with a pre measured charge of 70 grs and twist the end and tie it off with thread and a drop of glue. No need to tear it open before loading, just load the whole thing.
You can do a google search and find several sites with instructions and pics on how to make authentic cartridges but to me they're a PITA. The ones I make are faster and easier but I hardly ever make any of them. Just lazy I guess.