The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 24, 2009, 03:17 AM   #26
fivepaknh

I don’t have color coded conditions. I just go out and live. If something bad happens I just hope I respond appropriately. If that means running, then so be it. If there's no place to run, then hopefully I'll keep my head enough that I can use my firearm.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:00 AM   #27
Firepower!

This just makes me laugh. I lived in the US for over 10 years and never felt need be paranoid. Do you guys have lots of enemies that you sit facing the exit, etc. I guess you guy never had people after you with guns. Sorry but this sounds childish, and like some one who wants to be a hunted 'wanabe'.
Or perhaps you are runing out of excuses to buy new handgun. How do ppl put up with this sort or wierd attitude???
Old February 24, 2009, 04:17 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have at times had serious enemies but that is not the point. Situational awareness is...
You need not be paranoid or a hunted person to be caught up in violence.
Firepower, You obviously have not seen the news more than once or twice in the last 20 years have you?
Brent
Old February 24, 2009, 04:41 AM   #29
BillCA

Firepower - some of us developed these habits while eating out in uniform. Anyone in any kind of emergency services or military uniform is a prime target when the action starts.

koolminx - Seating yourself so that you can have a good view of your surroundings does not imply a desire to engage any miscreant who starts something. It may be much harder for you to understand that priority #1 is to survive, even if that means not engaging. And for most of us, being able to get our family out of the kill zone supercedes any concept of heroic engagements. But then, most of us don't have the advantage of exuding an aura of badness that will make Chuck Norris and Vin Diesel belly crawl out the back door when we walk in either.

G-Man, as BikerRN pointed out, you need to refamiliarize yourself with the color code, preferrably Jeff Cooper's version. But you did bring up a good point about practicing watching your partner's six. Of course, that implies your partner is someone alert and aware enough to spot potential trouble at your six. Unlike my ex who doesn't pay much attention to anything more than 12 feet away from her "bubble".

Last edited by BillCA; February 24, 2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:47 AM   #30
evan1293

How about just enjoying a nice dinner out, rather than being worried about impending danger at every moment.

Certainly, common sense is needful in every situation, and common sense in a restaraunt would generally dictate that you should just relax and enjoy your food.
Old February 24, 2009, 05:08 AM   #31
fivepaknh

Quote:
How about just enjoying a nice dinner out, rather than being worried about impending danger at every moment.

Certainly, common sense is needful in every situation, and common sense in a restaraunt would generally dictate that you should just relax and enjoy your food.
Because a responsible gun owner is prepared at all times. That’s why in the shower I put a 1911 in a condom and duct tape it to my thigh. Yes, reloads are taped to my other thigh. You never know when those scrubbing bubbles might attack.

Where I put my bug in the shower I’ll leave up to your imagination.
Old February 24, 2009, 05:15 AM   #32
Firepower!

Quote:
Because a responsible gun owner is prepared at all times. That’s why in the shower I put a 1911 in a condom and duct tape it to my thigh. Yes, reloads are taped to my other thigh. You never know when those scrubbing bubbles might attack.

This is just soooooooooooooo funnnnyyyyy!
Old February 24, 2009, 05:17 AM   #33
Firepower!

Quote:
Firepower, You obviously have not seen the news more than once or twice in the last 20 years have you?
Ha ha ha.. Sorry I missed the daily NEWS of people getting ambushed at local IHOPs! What? Yes, its the pancakes with shifty eyes.
Old February 24, 2009, 07:48 AM   #34
pmeisel

I don't worry, my posse's got that for me.

love your posts Wild
Old February 24, 2009, 08:00 AM   #35
PhoenixConflagration

I sit anywhere but the lounge/bar area, since that's not allowed with a CFL. Beyond that, I enjoy my meal. If someone comes in blasting with a silencer, I guess I'm screwed, but other than that, I can hear when gunshots and screams ring out. I maintain the general mindset of not being stupid and doing what's right for myself and others. All anyone can do is hope that they'll react to a situation appropriately. That goes for mass shootings and ordering your meal equally.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:10 AM   #36
The Great Mahoo

I typically don't worry about it. When we get to the table, its polite to seat the ladies in my party before I sit down. Most don't know that I have a firearm or have any clue as to my seating preference.

All things being equal, I prefer to sit with with my gun towards the inside of a booth, towards a wall, or anywhere there will be fewer people likely to see it. This is only because I may want to take my jacket off and not want to expose or print my gun (depending on dress). I've always been accustomed to putting my back to the wall if able, but it certainly wouldn't make me leave if I couldn't.

All in all, if I am the first to arrive and get a table, I take a prefered seat. If not, I still sit comfortably and enjoy my meal.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:14 AM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

We hear all too often terms like random violence, target of oppurtunity, and unintended victim... While you may hear the shooting start, I am told you won't hear the one that kills you. It is that slim chance I will be able to tell folks are up to no good. It is the * "read" the "tells" * I am hoping for...
Brent
Old February 24, 2009, 10:26 AM   #38
ZeSpectre

mostly I try to sit reasonably close to an exit (that includes big plate glass windows ).

Beyond that I do like to at least keep an eye on the doors.

I'm also in the club that likes to sit with my firearm on the "inside" (near the wall or whatever) but this is mostly because in Va if you carry in a place that serves alcohol you have to carry openly. Va natives don't tend to even notice but I live in a fairly touristy town and sometimes the out-of-towners get nervous if they notice.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:33 AM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer

Don't get romantically involved with the chef.

http://www.modernghana.com/news2/186...boyfriend.html

What round for orang in restaurant?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...estaurant.html

You should only eat out with a tactical class dripping hardware and watch the argument over the tactical table and seating.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:38 AM   #40
David Armstrong

I sit where they want to seat me unless I find the seating uncomfortable, such as too close to other people. Basing my seating position on "how can I best survive if BGs come in to kill everybody" seems like such an exercise in absurdity to me that I can't even visualize it. If you are that worried, eat at home with the doors locked and the bunker curtains secured.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:41 AM   #41
NRAhab

I try to not take "tactical lunches". But when I do, I use a Blackhawk Serpa chest rig, so that I can get to my gun in a hurry when I'm seated - if some tangos hit the local Chilis, I need to be able to drop my burger and get my CQB Tactical Destroyer in .455 Heffalump Magnum out in a hurry!
Old February 24, 2009, 10:42 AM   #42
ElectricHellfire

Usually, when possible, facing the door, gun (right side) to the wall. Not hard and fast rule though. Restaurants can be busy and I'm not waiting an hour for the "perfect" tactical table.
Old February 24, 2009, 10:45 AM   #43
rantingredneck

Quote:
Ha ha ha.. Sorry I missed the daily NEWS of people getting ambushed at local IHOPs! What? Yes, its the pancakes with shifty eyes.
Firepower,

I respect you for what you have to go through daily just to survive where you live. No doubt you are in harms way more often than any of us here in the States in our civilian lives. That being said, keep in mind that while rare, mass shootings do happen here. They sometimes happen in restaurants as well. Click the link and read the story of Dr. Susan Gratia-Hupp and the Luby's Diner massacre. She was one of the leading advocates in the passage of the TX CHL law. Had she been armed she may have been able to save her family members that day.

While most of us will go through our lives without ever having to stare down the barrel of a gun or at the point of a knife, many of us will (and have) survive(d) such incidents. Having a firearm at that critical time can mean the difference between your or your family's survival. Those of us who carry aren't doing so to live out some "Rambo" fantasy, we're doing so to protect our selves and our loved ones from real, though rare, dangers.

Thanks for your understanding,

RR

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 24, 2009, 10:50 AM   #44
ATW525

Given that I'm not important enough to worry about assassination attempts, I don't stress over seating.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:10 AM   #45
Huey Long

Quote:
I keep a Super Redhawk hidden in my toilet tank.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:21 AM   #46
Firepower!

RR
I respect your opinion, Sir.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:27 AM   #47
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don’t have color coded conditions. I just go out and live. If something bad happens I just hope I respond appropriately. If that means running, then so be it. If there's no place to run, then hopefully I'll keep my head enough that I can use my firearm.
+1! Me too.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:54 AM   #48
Wagonman

I am sure that most posters aren't stressing about the possibility of armed conflict while enjoying a tasty burger, just giving some insight into their S/A while in resturants.

I always face the door after a good 360 scan. It's kinda funny when I eat at work with 4-5 other Coppers all wanting the same seat.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:26 PM   #49
onthejon55

Quote:
Don't sit next to the restrooms. ( Hostilities usually enter through the front/rear doors or the subject enters the restroom from the crowd to "gear up"; exits and that poor soul next to the "Johnny Door" gets the warm-up shot,
Oh Noez! Hahaha

Thats horrible but so true
Old February 24, 2009, 12:33 PM   #50
BikerRN

While I have a preference, the seating location when I'm not in uniform will not interfere with my meal.

Biker
Closed Thread