The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 23, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
jdm357

Breakfree Powderblast

I had been using Hoppes no. 9 for cleaning (and still do for soaking parts) but have recently switched to Breakfree Powderblast. This stuff is STRONG. Stuff that had to be scrubbed off with Hoppes drips off with Powderblast.

The only thing I'm worried about is that it's TOO strong. I wipe everything dry after cleaning. Do any of you think any dried residue (in the event that I miss a drip here or there in places I cannot get to) will cause any wear on the steel pieces? I realize I should avoid getting this stuff on wood or polymer, and I also realize the metal is STRONG as well, but anyone have any reason why I shouldn't use this stuff every time I clean?

Anyone know of any negative reactions between this stuff and Hoppes (I use both on some guns)?

It almost seems too good to be true, but maybe I'm just used to the milder Hoppes no. 9.

Last edited by jdm357; July 24, 2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Clayton

I use Powder Blast a lot and I really like it as well. It has a much better smell than Gun Scrubber, and it costs less.

I don't think that you will harm any metal surfaces using Powder Blast, and in my opinion it would be much better to use than leaving Hoppes or some other solvent on the metal that will not dry like Powder Blast or Gun Scrubber. Powder Blast will also not harm Glocks or other plastic frames, in my experience, YMMV.

Hoppes No. 9 is mainly just kerosene, or it was ten years ago anyway. Most bore cleaners are pretty harsh on everything but bores. I must be the only guy on the planet that hates Hoppes No. 9. I think it is barely adequate as a powder solvent, and it does nothing to copper or lead fouling in my experience. I prefer to use CLP's for general upkeep, and the spray degreasers and good bore solvents like Sweets, Shooters Choice, and JB Bore Paste for the heavy duty cleaning after a class, etc..

Birchwood Casey makes an alcohol-based product that is safe for most wood finishes and plastics, and it is available at your local Wal-Mart.

With that said, several instructors from the Smith & Wesson Academy discouraged the use of degreasers because they leave metal surfaces exposed to corrosion unless all surfaces are treated properly with lubricant/preservative, and they felt that the degreasers may weaken or cause damage to metal and plastics over time. They recommended using a product like Break-Free CLP on the weapons instead of solvents and degreasers.

While I personally don't think that using these products after every 100 rounds is necessary, I doubt it will harm anything other than your wallet.

Clay