The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 11, 2000, 09:33 PM   #1
gabby

My friend and I, two middle-aged women who don't carry guns, wear army green
fishing vests instead of carrying tote bags or large purses. Due to various health
issues and one broken arm, this became a much easier way to haul around
sunglasses, tissues, cellular phone, checkbook, notepad, medicines, hand lotion,
currency and coins.

I have been asked at least four times if I have just come from the "shooting range."
Since it has been more than thirty years since I shot a pistol, it makes me laugh. I
have also gotten looks of apprehension from strangers. Having just found your
website today, I am understanding better the remarks and the apprehension.

What do you think we can do to make the vests look less threatening, as we wish to
wear them on a trip to Romania, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic?
Will people over there assume we are "Americans who carry?"

[This message has been edited by gabby (edited July 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by gabby (edited July 13, 2000).]
Old July 11, 2000, 11:01 PM   #2
JimFox

Gabby

I wouldn't sweat it. Keep on trucking with what works for you. If you're overseas where guns are far less common than tourists I suspect you'll not have a problem. Even if civilans occassionally think you might be carrying - it should only serve to make the BGs more conservative.

If officials (foreign or domestic) question you and you're clean - so what? Do your best "Aunt Bea" routine and go on about your business.

I'm not female - and I'm swiftly moving past the "middle" part of middle age - and I often wear an old fishing vest for exactly the reasons you do. In this hot East Texas climate I often wear a light tee shirt and jeans. Since I need glasses to read, use tobacco, often have a dog with me that sometimes needs a leash, carry a checkbook that I don't want crushed and so on - I don't appologise for the vest.

In my case it often helps conceal a firearm. If it didn't conceal a firearm, I'd still use it because it works.

My general advice is "Don't let someone else's problem become your problem" if you can help it.

Have fun in your travels.

------------------
Jim Fox
Old July 12, 2000, 02:37 AM   #3
shiroikuma, Anchorage AK

Hi gabby! Don't worry about it! I bought a vest when I was staying in NY city just because I thought they were cool and all the photojournalist seemed to wear them. I never had a cop stop me to check (all guns are illegal in NYC) and lots of people wear them who don't have a gun. In fact most people with those kind of vests don't pack a gun. People who have a concealed pistol just think everyone else has one too In fact my mom wore one for the same reason on a few trips, so she wouldn't have to carry a purse and she's never considered carrying a pistol.
Old July 12, 2000, 05:11 AM   #4
Jim V

Hey, New members, welcome to TFL. I hope we can help you learn.

Perhaps if you were to sew on one or more decorative patches (that would look good on green). I know several people that carry pistols in "fanny packs" that have done that with the packs. There is something about a innocuous design on something that defuses any thought of a possible concealed weapon.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old July 12, 2000, 07:37 AM   #5
Billy Sparks

I think that most people in the non-gun knowing public give you a second thought when you are wearing a vest. The big thing, in my opinion, is that if you are wearing a vest (or fannypack) is to use the vest. What I mean is that if you are using a vest make sure that stuff is really in the pockets that you will be using.
Old July 12, 2000, 07:51 AM   #6
gabby

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billy Sparks:
I think that most people in the non-gun knowing public give you a second thought when you are wearing a vest. The big thing, in my opinion, is that if you are wearing a vest (or fannypack) is to use the vest. What I mean is that if you are using a vest make sure that stuff is really in the pockets that you will be using. [/quote]

I suppose you mean that one should not wear a fishing vest or photojournalist vest as a fashion statement? Right! For me, it is a substitute for a day pack or a tote bag.
And, there is no way that I would use a bum bag ("Fanny" pack is an offensive term in Europe.) as it is a signal to others, "Hey, this is where I carry my important stuff!" I would just as soon not experience theft on my trip.

Old July 13, 2000, 08:04 AM   #7
gabby

JimFox,

What is a "BG?" And, why would it be good to have one be more conservative?

Please forgive my ignorance - I have a few relatives who own guns, but we don't discuss them, as I have relatives who don't approve of owning guns. Happy families keep politics out of their conversations! LOL
Old July 13, 2000, 09:43 AM   #8
Steve Smith

Gabby, a BG is a "Bad Guy" and JimFox said taht about "being more conservative" to mean this: If a BG THINKS you might be carrying, he might choose to go somewhere else. (Of course, if he KNOWS you're carrying, and he plans on being hostile, you're the first target. I know you don't carry, but it's always best to hold you cards close to your chest.