The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2013, 08:51 PM   #26
jasmith85

One suggestion I would make is create a gunbroker account and look for good deals. Some sellers will open an auction at $1 with no reserve and if you time it right you can get some very good deals watching and bidding on these auctions. I have just $325 in my Kahr CW40 and $360 in my M&P45c and both were new when I purchased them. Both were also purchased within the last 4 months. I also watched a new Sig p229 go for $505 a couple days ago because I promised my fiancee I wouldn't spend over $500 on a gun.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:17 AM   #27
Quentin2

Under $400, I'd get a quality used pistol. I'm pleased with my LE trade in Glock 22 and S&W 5906.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:38 PM   #28
kerreckt

Go to cdisales (Cole distributing Scottville Ky) on Gunbroker. I have bought a number of guns from these folks and every one of them was in better condition than described. They are a first class operation. Very responsive with any questions you may have. No, I don't work for them. Just a very satisfied customer. Best wishes
Old October 31, 2013, 07:24 PM   #29
JWT

Look at Gunbroker for a good used S&W 5906 9mm. Lot's of them around because they were used for years by many LEO's. A very, very solid gun - in fact they're built like tanks. Mine was the first semi auto I bought and I still consider it one of my best purchases.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:46 PM   #30
Yung.gunr

I would have to agree with those saying a used gun or the Canik. My dad got the all metal CZ clone. I was able to shoot it recently and I really liked it. Seemed well made. There is a lot to be said about used guns though.
Old November 1, 2013, 03:02 AM   #31
cdbeagle

New:
Stoeger Cougar - I have one
Rock Island Armory - my next purchase
Zastava
Bersa - Have one

Used:
CZ 82 and 83 - I have them though the 83 was purchased new.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes and they are not necessarily based on fact or rational. I know Ruger, Glock and S&W make excellent firearms but I do not care for them and I couldn't verbalize why.

Handle some of the suggestions and pick what feels best and speaks to you. Also a handgun you like may not be the best one for you. I love Sigs but they don't fit my smallish hands as well as a CZ. As a consequence I have three CZ's and no Sigs.

Just my two cents, and I probably don't have near the experience as most of the posters on this thread.

One I forgot to add is a Tanfoglio though I don't know if they are in your price range.

Last edited by cdbeagle; November 1, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old November 1, 2013, 11:02 AM   #32
southjk

You can get used M&P 9mm from Bud's Gun Shop for $389. They are police buy backs and have the night sights but they may be dim/burned out by now.
Old November 2, 2013, 02:12 AM   #33
jib

Look at Bersa. The BT380 is a nice .380. I EDC a Bersa BP9cc 9mm. Both are quality firearms.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:37 AM   #34
Ruark

Yeah, in my opinion, nothing comes close to a SIG 2022 for what you describe. Has a long double action 1st trigger pull, and a light, crisp single action after that, about 4 lbs. Or just pull the hammer back and go SA all the way. Get it with 15 rd. magazines. It'll shoot until the cows come home. Got my 9mm for $399.

Tip: lube it good before you start breaking it in. SIG tends to ship'em a little "dry."
Old November 2, 2013, 02:48 PM   #35
FYN409

I will throw my vote in for the Ruger SR series as well. I have the SR9c and it has been a good gun. A co-worker has the SR40c and loves it.

Like others have mentioned though need to budget for holster(s), ammo, and probably some extra mags (Ruger usually includes 2 mag with the purchase)

-Ryan