The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Gorky_Park

Need help finding ghost ring sights for Mossy 500

Looking for something inexpensive and easy to install...please post them up (links and prices if possible)

I googled alot but reviews are mixed and I want an opinion from someone that has actual experience with them

Thanks in advance!
Old December 24, 2010, 05:27 AM   #2
natman

http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/comm...ategory%3DSIGH

The good news: If you have a recent 500, it came from the factory drilled and tapped for the rear sight.

The bad news: The front sight has to be silver soldered on. Having a gunsmith do it is strongly advised.

The worse news: Silver soldering will ruin the finish on the barrel and it will have to be refinished.

You could have the front sight glued on, but personally I don't feel comfortable with that on a gun I may be betting my life on. I refinished the barrel with Duracoat.

The ghost ring sights are super fast and I highly recommend them.
Old December 24, 2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Gorky_Park

Really appreciate it
Old December 24, 2010, 02:57 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

natman, Are you sure that Mossberg's ghost ring sites line up with the holes drilled and tapped on the top of their recievers? I thought it logical that they would, but wondered why I didn't see amyting saying just that. For some reason I thought they were there for mounting a scope.
Old December 24, 2010, 03:20 PM   #5
natman

Yep, the factory GR rear sight bolts right up to the factory holes on recent receivers. At least they did on my 500 Persuader.

You could also use it to mount a scope I suppose, but given the way that a 500 barrel moves around relative to the receiver it wouldn't give particularly good accuracy. That's why Mossberg offers a slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount.
Old December 24, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Natman, If I get a Mossberg that is all I want. I can get one at Big 5 Sporting Goods with a second barrel, a 28" with a fixed modified choke, for $279 less a 10% discount I can get. I thiink its the persuader; 18 1/2" barrel with 5 in the tube + 1 in the chamber with a bluing finish. The persuader may actually be the model with a heavy duty barrel and 7 round tube, but both have drilled and tapped receivers.
Old December 25, 2010, 02:51 AM   #7
natman

This is the 500 Persuader:

Mossberg has a huge array of models. The Persuader is the standard 500 with a longer mag tube and barrel to match. The barrel mounts like a normal 500.

The model with the heavy duty barrel is the 590A1. It's parkerized instead of blue, has a metal trigger housing and safety button and the barrel attaches differently. IMO the heavy duty barrel is just that; heavy. Fine if you plan on doing a lot of bayonet work, but just a lot of unnecessary weight for home defense. It's also a lot more expensive than the Persuader I bought for $245 at Big 5.

Last edited by natman; December 25, 2010 at 03:00 AM.