The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Servo77

Baikal shotguns

Is there any difference between a remington imported Baikal or the EAA Baikal? I assume they are both of similar quality since they are made in the same place...yes no?

Anyway, what are your opinions of baikals as a "working" double. I ahve heard that they do not handle well, but are as durable as tanks.
Old September 21, 2006, 03:42 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Slight increase in quality (Remington supposedly specified as a condition of taking over importation) and in customer service on problems.
Denis
Old September 21, 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
jhgreasemonkey

I've got an EAA O/U baikal. I was wondering the same thing when I was buying. What I found may be an exeption but the Baikal I found and bought had a nicer walnut stock than the Rem Spartan models I handled. Plus I got it for about $100 cheaper. But remington aparently chrome lines the bores and ports the barrels of certain models. So that would be nice. I just use mine as a fun gun and do some hunting with it. The only thing I dont like is that it breaks open really stiff. But no real problems so far.
Old September 23, 2006, 08:06 AM   #4
quack fiend

a little off topic, but the baikal auto is the most reliable, best-built duckslayer you can get on a budget. i love mine so much that i bought another as a backup when they were still $270. the funny thing is, it's a better shotgun than the twice-as-pricey rem. 11-87 superjammomatic