The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 23, 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Para Bellum

Non-firearm stopping need

Our workplace (lawfirm) was the scene of an almost-lethal knife assault recently. We are 10 people in several rooms in an 250 square-meter office. I am the only one who can safely and accurately use handguns and carries all the time. My office is way in the back and not exposed at all. So if it hits the fan again, I might come to help with my handgun but am not likely to instantly have to defend myself.

The others at my firm are somewhat afraid of firearms. And if they are not willing to constantly seriously train, I don't want them to have one (I'm the boss here). This is because I don't want to have to handle an attacker and be afraid of a colleague who doesn't know what he/she's doing but waves a handgun around. You get the picture, I'm sure.

So what should I equip my employees with? Tazers? Pepper? Handheld stunguns? It needs stopping potential since knive-attacks proved to be an actual threat. Dogs are out of the question, I'm allergic.

Thank you for your time and thought.
Old March 23, 2005, 05:39 PM   #2
marshall2

Baseball bats

I'm serious. Baseball bats in each cubicle.
Old March 23, 2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Para Bellum

baseball bats

Quote:
Baseball bats in each cubicle.
Sounds good. The most exposed ones however are the secretaries, three ladies...
Old March 23, 2005, 07:00 PM   #4
artsmom

My nephew was involved in a shootout, chase, shootout, car assault, chase, rollover, shootout type deal that all started when a Boulder, CO police officer tried to subdue a suspect with a taser. It did not incapacitate the suspect, and he drew a gun and shot two officers, shot at some teenagers, and then tried to run over two other cops (my nephew being one) before being rammed and shot to death by another police officer.

If guns are not an option, I say buy the best pepper spray to be had. I had over 400 hot pepper plants in the garden one year(412, to be exact), and had the unfortunate idea of grinding up some cayenne an habeneros for relish. I think I got a healthy shot of high test capscium due to bad blender operation, and was DEFINITELY incapacitated for 15+ minutes.

Oh, and if you are canning hot peppers, wash your hands THREE times before relieving your bladder...
Old March 23, 2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Mannlicher

Put a lock on the door, hire armed guards, and pray.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 23, 2005, 08:17 PM   #6
mohomesteading

Perhaps educating them in martial arts?

I am not sure what to suggest. Baseball bats, cricket bats, golf clubs...for that matter, a broom stick or inch diameter or larger dowel rod might work. The pepper spray is good too. Tasers might work, but you still have to aim them and have the presence of mind to work within the maxium effective distance of it.

In the United States, most of our one on one confrontations happen within 7 yards (a bit less than 7 meters). Someone with a knife that close can cover that distance in less than two seconds, making a firearm almost as useless if you don't know how to defend against the attacker while moving the firearm into a useful position.

I might suggest using a staff or club weapon where you might be able to extend the defender's reach over a knife-armed attacker. An attacker high on drugs may not be stopped by pepper spray and might be all the more dangerous. Tasers may not properly take down someone, and again, requires some basic aiming skills.

You might want to have a silent alarm system to alert you in your office if there is trouble up front or in another part of your law offices. At least you might get a bit more warning for you to act. This might reduce your reaction time to the threat.
Old March 23, 2005, 08:42 PM   #7
USP45usp

Was this an old clinet that was ticked?

I know that it would be inconvenient to clinets but you may try a buzz lock for the door. You can pick out the recep. that you think most likely to spot "bad eggs" and then put in a call to you to make the decision before they "buzz" in the person.

There are some law offices even here in Eugene that have these. Law firms either make great friends or greater enemies (from what the lawyer at one of these firms here said).

Baseball (or if your country does more cricket) then put those on the wall (so they are easy to get to). To make it look like a "collection", do a few forged signatures of older, dead, players that people would know of. This way, your "weaponary" looks like a harmless collection.

Just ideas, hope something will work for you .

Wayne
Old March 23, 2005, 10:06 PM   #8
chris in va

Quote:
Oh, and if you are canning hot peppers, wash your hands THREE times before relieving your bladder
That...is truly funny.
Old March 23, 2005, 10:24 PM   #9
SpectreBlofeld

Heavy paperweights and letter openers...

Or maybe an alarm, signalling for you, so you can come running with your Nine
Old March 23, 2005, 10:49 PM   #10
USP45usp

Quote:
Or maybe an alarm, signalling for you, so you can come running with your Nine
That was truly sarcastic . Especially with the afterward. Shame on you .

Plus, this guys from Europe so maybe they have different laws then we do on what can be done. He's just asking for advice.

Wayne

*sorry for the public spanking and sorry to intervine if I shouldn't have.
Old March 23, 2005, 11:05 PM   #11
Greybeard

A law firm where I spent some time in Cleveland, Ohio had a camera mounted just outside entry door. Receptionist could recognize (or not) individuals through glass next to fancy wood door and push button to permit entry ...
Old March 24, 2005, 09:00 AM   #12
Bo Hunter

Security System...

Yes, you need a keycard entry system, and a receptionist to answer the door via a push button.... Best way is to let them into a waiting area, so, if they appear to be trouble, could be locked in to wait for the cops!
Old March 24, 2005, 09:11 AM   #13
Wraith

Install those little alarms like banks?

If they aren't any good with the pistol, that's what the shotty if for.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old March 24, 2005, 02:09 PM   #14
artsmom

Oh, and if you are canning hot peppers, wash your hands THREE times before relieving your bladder...

That...is truly funny

Probably, but I don't remember laughing much at the time.
Old March 24, 2005, 03:39 PM   #15
SpectreBlofeld

Quote:
That was truly sarcastic . Especially with the afterward. Shame on you .
Eh, I meant it to be tongue-in-cheek. Just a little levity!
Old March 24, 2005, 04:10 PM   #16
USP45usp

SpectreBlofeld,

That's what the was for, wasn't sure if it was serious or joking.

Now I know.

Wayne
Old March 24, 2005, 04:50 PM   #17
BillCA

Hmm, a 3-iron? Most law offices I've seen have at least a putter in the corner!

Seriously, I'd suggest OC Pepper spray if legal in your part of Europe. Or something equally as effective that is legal.
Old March 25, 2005, 02:45 AM   #18
38SnubFan

I'm thinking OC spray would be the best option. At least give YOU enough time to respond with the appropriate tool.

Quote:
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

.......Bad mental picture there!

-Snub

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old March 25, 2005, 09:11 AM   #19
Dwight55

Para Bellum, . . . I work for a multinational fortune 500 company that I always thought was very open, friendly, etc. I rather naively just thought they were good guys and everyone respected them, . . . etc.

Well, . . . they're still good guys, . . . but not everyone respects them. I had to go to our Cleveland operation some time back, . . . and also to Pittsburgh also. Both have high security.

At Cleveland, I was funneled through one of four glass doors (3 were locked) so the receptionist could see me clearly. That put me between two sets of glass doors and without the card, . . . I could go no further than stand and push the intercom button. I gave her my name and contact, . . . and I stood there until my contact came up, . . . recognized me, . . . and personally opened the door to allow me in.

At Pittsburgh, . . . every day there I had to sign in, give photo ID, corporate ID, . . . etc., before I could even get on an elevator going anywhere other than the main floor.

All in all, it is not that expensive to set up, . . . and the double sets of doors can be rigged to isolate and imprison the person awaiting LEO presence.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 25, 2005, 03:47 PM   #20
Para Bellum

more details

Thank you for your time and thought.

after the incident, I immediately gave every employee an OC-Pepper-Spray. And according to your statements I was right doing so.

All the camera and surveillance ideas wouldn't really help. As attorneys we make people either extremely happy (we win for our clients) or extremely angry (we win for our clients, and that means loss for the angry guys). Anyway we live and work on an interface to extreme emotions. Therefore everybody could freak out.

We had let the attacker in before he stabbed my partner in the head. He was known to us and "friendly". We did pro-bono work for his mother and were very successful. He came to our firm with his mother often, so we knew him. After we made lots of money for his mother, he also wanted to be represented by us. But we turned him down because the stories he told us were quite weird.

The fourth time he came, my partner said no again and then he said: "If you are not helping me, even you are against me. Maybe all this conspiracy against me was triggered by you!". He left and my partner shook his head. The next day he came in the morning. As the secretary knew him, she opened the door and offered him a seat in the lobby. He pushed her aside, dashed to my partner's office and stabbed him in the head until his folding-knife broke. Then he left. The absurd part of it is that the attack happened the exact time I would have been in the very room every day, armed and trained with my 9x19 and 15yrs of martial arts. Just that very day I happened to be 500Km away in a court hearing. I dreamed a dozen times about how I could have prevented this.

No we know that this guy actually is insane. He was in a mental-hospital before, is schizophrenic-paranoiac and was arrested for assault and battery three times, and has a heroin problem. Perfect son in law, isn't he?

It took my partner two months and seven operations to recover. He actually was quite lucky and only has little long-term effects in one eye.

Anyway: We sometimes have to talk and negotiate with people who truly hate us because the want to settle a dispute etc. So in any case we have to let people in who have the potential or a "cause" to freak out.

We however have a door security system and reduce the risk, but indoor defense is unfortunately very necessary.
Old March 25, 2005, 06:36 PM   #21
tintcutter

So realistically, the best gift is a mental one.

No toy will protect better than a thought.

Give the gift of awareness, security related thinking etc. Guns are tools used by the brain.

Ever see these movies with all the fighting sans guns?

Chase the mentality of a gun fearing person and you see they fail to consider many, many issues.

Make these people honestly percieve their environment. Never push a weapon at them. Push the environment at them, and describe as many security options to them as you can. The trained security personell might have more ideas, but avoid vanity on your part. It is amazing what people can do when you teach them to fish.
Old March 25, 2005, 07:40 PM   #22
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, trust me on this one; use OC in an enclosed area and your office will be uninhabitable for awhile. I'm recommending the X-26 Taser with shaped pulse technology, and the cartridges with the longest probes (for penetrating clothing). I've deployed a Taser several times with excellent results. They do work against drunks and druggies, and when they don't, it's usually operator error. The biggest mistake seems to be trying to use it on a running person, or while you're running. Target the major muscle groups. The more muscular the person is, the more effective the Taser is. They are good up to 21 feet, but the ideal distance is 7 to 13 feet. During Taser training, we had to "ride the full 5" (seconds, that is). Trust me on this one too, NO one can fight against a properly deployed Taser!!! If you are determined to go with OC, DON'T get the over-the-counter stuff sold at Wal Mart, etc. It's worthless and will only pi** the bad guy off. You want the 10% law enforcement issue stuff.