The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
swampy308

Old Lee Loader

I've onley loaded for rifle, but recently picked up an old Lee Loader for 12 gauge shot gun.
I was wondering if anyone here could help in what type of wad and powder I would need to use for turkey loads.
Any information I could get would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 5, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2
TRguy

The Lee Load All - Single Stage Shot Shell Reloader

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/loadall.html

I had one, cheap cheap cheap, and the crimp would never crimp correctly....Got a Mec Jr now a Sizemaster, never looked back.

Scrap it and move on.

(Not bashing Lee, just that particular product. Still have mostly Lee Dies and two lee presses.)
Old September 5, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
swampy308

The one im talking about is the one you use a hammer with.
I figured it would be the best way for me to go no more then I shoot shotguns, and if I can't use it its a great little collecter item.
Old September 5, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
TRguy

hammer?

I'm out, if you are talking about the Lee Classic

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...leeloader.html

never used one, nor would I , looks like a mistake waiting to happen.
Old September 5, 2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

A friend of mine used to use one of those. He still has it, AFAIK. He'd spark his fingers a couple of times per session when the primers went off during seating, so wear hearing protection, glasses, and a leather glove on the hand not operating the primer.

Charge and shot are handled with the scoops that came with it, IIRC? Lee's powder scoops are yellow and I believe the shot scoops were black, but that may not be written in stone. I'm not sure it matters which shot you are using? We used to run card wads a lot with .410's and 20's, but I don't recall if a AA wad works in the Lee loader tool or not? They certainly worked fine with Lee's shotshell presses. I've still got a a couple of their progressives, but they don't make them anymore. Not sure why? Primer feed wasn't reliable, but that's a common gripe with Lee progressives, and they seemed OK otherwise.

I saw someone was selling the instructions for the shotshell Lee Loader on-line at eBay for $5. I didn't spot them free online. If you get completely stuck, PM me and I'll ask my friend if he still has his and can scan them or photocopy them? I can ask what he suggests for wads. It seems to me someone had a page of instructions for Lee gear on line somewhere, though? If you are talking turkey shoots rather than actual turkeys, you can probably just use the scoop with some #9 shot and cover about as much of the card as can be expected. If you're after actual turkeys, then take a look at this.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 5, 2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Claude Clay

lee classic with hammer when i was 12. 380, 45 LC & 30-30.

i made perhaps 2k rounds over a 8 year period; mostly 30-30 till i was 16.

had exactly ZERO problems. not a one.
though i gotta admit it looks iffy. but the proof is in the using it.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 5, 2009, 07:10 PM   #7
snuffy

Swampy, if you need the instruction sheet let me know on this post or PM me. I have the lee loader for 12 gauge, and the instruction sheet. I'll scan it and send it to you via email.

I CAN tell you it probably won't work for turkey loads, especially since they're mostly 3 or 3½ inch shells. It also works best for the old paper shells, modern plastic hulls are much more difficult to crimp.

Unless you're a muscle builder, then you might be able to crimp the plastics!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 6, 2009, 12:38 AM   #8
swampy308

Thanks for all the input, I have the instruction sheet and load data sheet with it, but some loads say to use paper wads and others plastic, i've only seen plastic my self in different brands, so im not sure what to use.
Old September 6, 2009, 08:52 AM   #9
snuffy

Swampy, those lee loaders were brought out when there were still paper shells being made. Those paper shells used fiber wads. Then, about when the loaders we have were made, the plastic shells and wads began to appear. That's why you see both in that instruction sheet. Mine says the same thing.

I bought mine on fleabay, just to have one. I tried to make some shells using red AA hulls. The crimp was nearly impossible to completely close by hand. I stuck the entire loader in a rifle press,(for the leverage), was able to get the crimp closed just fine. Paper shells fold closed with less than half the effort.

My answer to you is the same to anybody who's starting shotshell loading, get the Lyman shotshell handbook. Read it to get an understanding on whats involved. It also lists just about all loads that can be put in any shell made today, with today's components. You should be able to pick a load from there to be used with your lee loader.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 6, 2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

You can still get fiber wads. This is one source.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 7, 2009, 07:50 PM   #11
swampy308

So if I can use todays componets, all I have to do is get a manual and use the load data in it instead of the load data that came with it.
Old September 7, 2009, 10:53 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
So if I can use todays componets, all I have to do is get a manual and use the load data in it instead of the load data that came with it.
Yup! The Lyman manual will be very specific about the hull type, the exact wad used, the powder and how much of it, the primer used and the amount of shot. Be sure to follow the recipe exactly. Substitution of any of the components with something else could be dangerous. You're going to need a scale for the powder, unless one of the powders listed in the lee loader instructions will work with the dipper measure in the kit. If you've been loading rifle shells, you probably already have a scale. Use it to measure the prescribed powder charges for the shotgun shells.