The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2018, 12:43 PM   #1
exit30

1911 Low profile safety

So here is my dilemma. I have been shooting my first 1911, a Springfield Range Master, for about a month and discovered that my grip is slightly incorrect. My trigger hand thumb is resting below the safety, not on top, the reason being is I have small hands (insert jokes here). I shoot great as is, with my thumb under the safety, but I hear this is bad. However, putting my right thumb on top of the safety is uncomfortable, and I have much less trigger finger contact.

Would putting a low profile safety on the gun help with my reach issue? I have yet to accidentally set the safety with my thumb as many say will happen. Or, should I just keep my grip as is? Please feel free to give me opinions.
Old June 24, 2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Bimus

On my 1911's my thumb goes under the safety so pushing it on the thumb goes up .I thought they where all like that ?
Old June 24, 2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Kirosha

While it can happen, in my experience, a well adjusted shooter won't easily, mistakenly hit the safety.

I think most people want to caution against so many things because it can happen instead of will happen

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old June 24, 2018, 01:56 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...I shoot great..." That's what matters. Not where you hold your thumb.
"...is uncomfortable...less trigger finger contact..." That's the part that isn't good.
Brownell's sells "slim grips" for 1911's starting at $23.99. Might be an idea. Currently on back order of course. Cabela's is listing Hogue rubber grip panels at $19.99. Neither is the only game though.
The size of the safety won't make any difference.
Old June 24, 2018, 02:08 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Just keep in mind that if you go with the slim grips you'll likely need a new set of bushings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 24, 2018, 04:09 PM   #6
exit30

Thanks a bunch everyone. I just came back from the range and discovered a new issue with thumb over. As it turns out, every few shots my palm doesn't depress the grip safety far enough and I get no shot off. So, since I am shooting well with thumb under, and never engage the safety by accident, from now on it is thumb under every time. Forum monitor, you can shut this one down, case closed
Old June 24, 2018, 05:16 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

But your original question has not been answered. If you are shooting with your thumb beneath the thumb safety and you are shooting using a "both thumbs forward" grip, there IS a possibility that your thumb may some day accidentally engage the safety. At the range, that's not a problem. If you also carry, then it IS a problem, because as Murphy reminded us, "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." Usually at the worst possible time.

Other responders seem to have skipped right over the point of your opening post: Would a lowered safety help? Yes -- that's why they make them.
Old June 24, 2018, 05:44 PM   #8
exit30

Thanks Aquila, I am still going to look into a lower safety.
Old June 24, 2018, 06:12 PM   #9
TJH3781

Look at Brownell's as they list the Gunsight Low Mount Thumb Safety.
Old June 25, 2018, 12:35 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
. I shoot great as is, with my thumb under the safety, but I hear this is bad.
You hear this is bad? From WHOM???

If you are hitting your target where you want to hit your target, you aren't doing it WRONG!!

you may not be doing it the most efficient way according to "experts" who cares???

The original 1911 has a small square checkered tab on the safety. There is no "shelf" for the thumb to rest on. The shelf safety came later, and on commercial guns. The GIs were taught the thumb sweeps the safety off and then goes underneath it on the grip. Curled down.

maybe not the best way to do it, everyone today says the thumbs up/thumbs forward is best, but back in the old days, we didn't know any better, and you know, we hit our targets too...
(and ok, my "old days" only goes back about 50 years, but beck then, we got taught what our forefathers had been taught,, using the same guns)

I suppose its possibly to accidently put the safety ON but if your gun has correctly made detents and a properly functioning plungertube spring I think its pretty unlikely. The safety should "snap" into either position and be held there securely. If its soft, or mushy, its not right.

Hold the gun the way it works for you. DO not hold the gun in a way that does not work for you just because someone says you are doing it wrong.

I wear a size 8.5-9 glove. I've never failed to depress the stock GI style grip safety. Ever. Nor have I ever been bitten by the hammer. I detest the popular "memory bump/speed bump" on so many of today's grip safeties. To me, its an uncomfortable lump of metal in a place it doesn't belong.

Everyone's hands are different sizes. What is easy for some is difficult for others, as you have noted with your hands, and putting your thumb on/above the safety. It doesn't fit you. It will fit someone else, with different size hands. Your way may be "wrong" for them, but it doesn't mean its wrong, for YOU.
Old June 25, 2018, 12:49 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
The original 1911 has a small square checkered tab on the safety. There is no "shelf" for the thumb to rest on. The shelf safety came later, and on commercial guns. The GIs were taught the thumb sweeps the safety off and then goes underneath it on the grip. Curled down.

maybe not the best way to do it, everyone today says the thumbs up/thumbs forward is best, but back in the old days, we didn't know any better, and you know, we hit our targets too...
(and ok, my "old days" only goes back about 50 years, but beck then, we got taught what our forefathers had been taught,, using the same guns)

I suppose its possibly to accidently put the safety ON but if your gun has correctly made detents and a properly functioning plungertube spring I think its pretty unlikely. The safety should "snap" into either position and be held there securely. If its soft, or mushy, its not right.

Hold the gun the way it works for you. DO not hold the gun in a way that does not work for you just because someone says you are doing it wrong.
I agree with all of the above. I also go back more than 50 years with the M1911A1, and my first introduction to it was the United States Army and the small, GI style thumb safety 44 AMP described. I also shoot using (by today's standards) the "wrong" grip -- but it's been getting the job done for fifty+ years, so I see no reason to try to change now.

Note that in my post above I wrote, "If you are shooting with your thumb beneath the thumb safety and you are shooting using a "both thumbs forward" grip, there IS a possibility that your thumb may some day accidentally engage the safety." I don't shoot "thumbs forward." My strong hand thumb is bent down, and locked in place by the support hand. With that grip, there is essentially zero possibility of my thumb accidentally engaging the safety. However, if you are holding both thumbs forward but the strong hand thumb is beneath an extended thumb safety lever, that's when there's the possibility of the thumb slipping and engaging the safety.

And that's exactly why someone came out with the safety that has the lever set lower.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-prod6677.aspx

Quote:
Places the thumb closer to the centerline of the bore; gives greater leverage and recoil control for shooters that use a high thumb hold. For shooters with smaller hands, the lower position is easier to reach and deactivate.