The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
buffalo

Lyman Neck Expander Problem

I just got my Lyman T-Mag press set up and everything was going good until i started to try and expand the case neck,this is for .45acp using LSWC bullets. Even with the neck expander screwed down all the way and the case as far up as it will go the neck expander still is not down enough to make contact with the case. I must be doing something wrong but i have no clue what,i followed the directions exactly,or so i thought. Anyone have any idea whats going wrong?.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:31 PM   #2
snuffy

Now screw the die body further into the turret. Do it slowly so you don't create a case that looks like a funnel.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 6, 2009, 12:57 AM   #3
buffalo

The die is already screwed into the turret though so it hits the shell holder,i didn't think screwing it in any farther would make any difference,am i wrong?
Old September 6, 2009, 08:40 AM   #4
snuffy

Is it possible you have the seater die mixed up with the expander? Otherwise, I have no clue what your problem may be.

What brand are the dies? You sized the cases first?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 7, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
'Borg

If you have the expander shaft screwed all the way in and it still doesn't expand, then you may have the short one
They make two sizes, one for pistol, and one for cast rifle.
'Borg
Old September 7, 2009, 01:11 PM   #6
buffalo

It is the next expander,i'm sure of that. Last night i played with it and found that if i unscrewed the neck expander head it would go down enough to enter the case. After i found that out i put some loctite on it and now it works ok. It's not what i was expecting to have to do but it works so right now i don't care. I did read on another site a guy saying he had to do the same thing with the exact same die as mine,it's a Lyman neck expanding die.
Old September 7, 2009, 01:18 PM   #7
'Borg

It's called the Lyman "M" die, it's used for expanding on all their pistol cals, and for people who want to load cast rifle bullets.
It usually needs to be adjusted in all cals.
'Borg
Old September 7, 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
buffalo

Yes it is the "M"die,i forgot that part. This is the first time i have used a neck expander since i never used lead bullets so i had no clue that it had to be adjusted,it makes sense though now. It works fine now after the loctite but damn did it have me confused for awhile. Thank's for the replies everyone,i appreciate it.
Old September 7, 2009, 02:14 PM   #9
'Borg

I also use the "M" die to expand all my rifle, so I don't stetch the shoulder out and not have to size my cases as much. Longer case life.
'Borg
Old September 7, 2009, 02:23 PM   #10
buffalo

Once it gets cooler here i'm gonna start doing my .308's so i'm sure i'll be doing it on those,haven't reloaded rifle before so this will be a first.
Old September 7, 2009, 06:49 PM   #11
billcarey

I've found the M die almost eliminates the need of 2nd step belling, especially when using bevel base cast bullets. Straight base bullets require a little more belling to make it less tedious, but not much. If you're looking for long case life, adjust the 2nd step as small as possible and you won't shave even a tiny bit.