The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 9, 2018, 09:48 AM   #51
weblance

Denis... I always appreciate your input. The time you take to explain things really helps me understand how truly difficult things can be regarding the rise of Marlin from the ashes.

I have two Remlin levers, an 1894 44Mag, and an 1895 45/70 G. Both are excellent, and are very reminiscent of what Marlin used to build IMHO. I also have several Marlins from the 1960s and if the new rifles were dinged, and had the finish wear that my older ones have, I would have a hard time telling the two different vintages apart. I'm not a Marlin expert, and I'm sure those of you who are, will scoff at that last comment, but I am pleased with my two Remlins.

I am interested in the new 357 1894. I have been for several years, and whenever I see a post about whats developing in that area, I hope the day comes soon when I can own, and enjoy that fine little 1894 in 357
Old July 9, 2018, 11:57 AM   #52
DPris
Member Emeritus

Save your lunch money, you'll get there.
Denis
Old July 23, 2018, 10:01 PM   #53
ice monkey

I wasn’t following the whole Marlin saga two years ago when I decided to get my little 16” 336 Marlin. I just wanted a short rifle for the trunk that wasn’t a semi.

At ~$500, I wasn’t expecting the butter smoothness of my granddads Winchester, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was stunned at how clunky the thing was when I got it. It was awful.

Before I even shot it, I stripped the thing down and cleaned it. There was wood chips from the stock in the trigger assembly for the love of Pete! After cleaning, I put some lapping compound on those areas I thouhgt could use it, reassembled the gun, and just worked the gun through a sitting of “A Dual at Diablo,” then cleaned and oiled her up.

The gun was shipped a mess. No question, but that initial work paid dividends! The gun had “good bones” as they say. Considering it was a ~$500 gun, the extra bit of work was nothing really. I’ve since put literally hundreds of rounds through her (>500 I think), and she’s my favorate.

The trigger still sucks, but who cares? The gun points itself! It’s a joy to walk with, and a joy to shoot! If I could have the exact same weapon in a cartridge that’d work out to 6 to 8 hundred yards... I’d never buy another rifle. I love my little 336.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:22 PM   #54
Orion6

I had a 90’s JM stamped 336 in .35 that was garbage. Rough action, misaligned sights, etc.

Quality was in decline way before Remington came along.

I WANT Marlin and Remington to come back strong. We shouldn’t be essentially rooting for their failure. The past QC issues can’t be undone, but I’ve seen obvious improvements recently. I bought my daughter an 870 Compact a few months ago and it’s absolutely a gem.

I am planning on picking up another 336 in the next year or two and I have faith that they’ll be of good quality. It sounds like things are at least getting on the right track.
Old July 28, 2018, 09:45 PM   #55
3Crows

Yeah, same here. These magic JM Marlins, having owned numerous Marlins down through the years going back to the late 60s, some were nice, some were not. In particular one problem child 30-30 I bought about 1973. It had barrel droop, a twisted barrel and it would Marlin Jam at the slightest provocation. I finally got it sorted and it became a beater rifle that my brother and I severely abused. Have a 917 with a crooked stock but it shoots straight, very straight. At gun shows I look the rifles over close. Sometimes I see one I want and sometimes I see some that are clearly there due to some of the aforementioned issues, JM stamp does not mean you should not carefully inspect a potential purchase. Twisted barrels/crooked front sights are common. My current two Remington Marlins are the best I have owned as far as function and shooting accuracy and the metal work is clean. The wood, meh.

3C
Old July 29, 2018, 05:54 PM   #56
Tony Z

My 80's era 336 is a good one - shooting as well as any .35 Rem should! I'm contemplating buying a Marlin lever in .45-70. Don't hunt any more, but like the reloading chase of getting guns to shoot!
Old August 5, 2018, 11:25 PM   #57
ifithitu

I bought two new Marlin's last week,a 45/70 & 336W 30/30,now I have seen people bashing the Marlin rifles.Hope I don't have lemons.I also have a Rossi 92 .44 mag on layaway.....
Old August 6, 2018, 11:45 AM   #58
Fishbed77

Quote:
I WANT Marlin and Remington to come back strong. We shouldn’t be essentially rooting for their failure.
No, but we shouldn't knowingly spend our money on substandard product either.

Remington/Marlin/Cerberus/Freedom/Group/Whatever They Call Themselves This Week have been all to happy to ride the coattails of their history for too long.

Ultimately, the product needs to stand for itself to earn my dollars.
Old August 6, 2018, 12:04 PM   #59
DPris
Member Emeritus

Cerberus is out.
Denis
Old August 8, 2018, 04:48 PM   #60
Picher

I've been burned by Marlin for the last time. I don't care if they're completely improved and could be the best guns out there. Fool me twice, that ain't nice and I won't again pay the price.
Old August 8, 2018, 07:30 PM   #61
9x19

Their biggest problem is convincing the dealers that consumers want the guns.

Most dealers these days have plenty of of guns that don't move, and stocking one that has a recent history of poor execution is a hard sell.

Marlins have become one of those brands that I just can't justify buying sight unseen.
Old August 10, 2018, 04:56 PM   #62
CLYA

nevermind

Last edited by CLYA; August 10, 2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old August 11, 2018, 10:56 AM   #63
cnemeth

Hopefully some good 357's will be out there soon. I bought a used one in the 90's that was fun to shoot but had some q.c. issues.

Sadly I had to sell it awhile back.
Old August 23, 2018, 03:31 PM   #64
PatientWolf

I am curious as to whether anyone with their ears to the rails have heard any more about the release of the 1894 CST.

I think the last I'd heard was that they were hoping to release in The Jun/July timeframe.