The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old March 11, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Hardy

How do you sell B/p guns in a store?

Hello,

2 years ago I had room in our office space to open up a store. It is the county with no restrictions but located in big parking space that has a Freds etc. There was even a sign on top where there had been a previous retailer. Since by daughter makes jewelry and talking with some Black powder shooters, I said "why not." It didn't cost much since I had display counters etc. But, the 1st year, guys only wanted the brassers and cheap inline muzzle loaders. Now, what they want, I ain't sure. I have a collection of all sorts including 2nd and 3rd gen colts that can be bought for less than internet prices. And Colt Muskets.

We have a few customers that buy most of our guns. They have a passion for them. But I can't figure out the right advertisement wording to put in the freebie mags that everyone picks up to bring in more of these. You know, w/cabellas prices it is hard but I do buy from distributors and cut the prices down especially if they buy supplies. Any ideas on how to get more CLIENTS . Give me your best small add ideas to keep this tradition alive in a small brick and mortor store.

WB HICKUP/
Old March 11, 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Hawg

Quote:
Give me your best small add ideas to keep this tradition alive in a small brick and mortor store.
Buy one get one free! Sorry couldn't help myself.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Hardy

That is funny Hawg Well. maybe this post is funny. That's ok. Anyone out there can out do Hawg's?
Old March 11, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Hardy

Would 3rd gen colt muskets be a good inestment?
Old March 11, 2011, 10:25 PM   #5
ClemBert

Hey Hardy,

As you know I'm a former South Carolinian....Boiling Springs HS and Clemson. As such, in many ways, I understand your typical local yokal from that area. Have you thought about trying to cater to their "confederate" side? For the natives you might try to spark their interest in their historic roots by bringing the War Between the States into focus and the role that BP firearms played during that period.

How many words do you have to work with? Here's my version. I hope it isn't too cheesy for you....

Re-live the battle for South Carolina, like the old heroes of north and south, with authentic era reproduction cap-and-ball black powder revolvers and firearms. These fully functional reproduction revolvers are identical to those weapons that played a significant role in battles throughout the War Between the States and the taming of the American West. You've seen these firearms featured in many Hollywood movies staring actors such as John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. We offer a wide selection of some of the finest reproductions you will see. Many of these firearms can easily be converted to fire as cap-and-ball or cartridge revolvers. We also carry all the supplies needed to get you started into the fascinating world of black powder firearms. These are REAL firearms just like your great-great-grandfather used.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Hardy

Clembert That is great! Jeez, you took some time with that and I will use it..w/your permission of course. And yes, we are the supply hut for the Hampton Legions for stuff they can't buy or get from their outfit. In fact, some might want those colt muskets. BUT anyway as Hawg said... you buy my RE Lee in Box and I'll give you a gun for free. Promise. Or, you can buy the Marine 3rd gen dragoon colt (less than 1000 made serial #200+/- and I'll give you a gun and 2 boxes of 44c balls Seriously, though that was good---Thanks from a fellow South Carolinian

WILD BILLY HICKUP
Old March 12, 2011, 08:02 AM   #7
mulefour

Where in SC are you?

Bob in McCormick SC
Old March 12, 2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Hardy

How about you work out a deal with local re-enactment groups for a free first year membership or a waiver of the registration fee or some such.

You might work out a token system in which you give them a card. For every ten bucks worth of purchase of merchandice they accumulate points toward the purchase of other merchandice.

Might also work out a deal with a local land owner who will permit the people to shoot on his property. You could build a shooter safety Training Certification which could result in a card they carry in their wallet. No one gets to shoot unless they have finished that course and carry the card. That training could blossom into more NRA style training programs on virtually every aspect of BP shooting. Buy a revolver and get free training AND a place to go shooting!? I'd be on that like a wolverine on a pop-tart!
Old March 12, 2011, 08:40 AM   #9
noelf2

If your prices are competitive, you may be looking at the answer right now. Make a website and go online !
Old March 12, 2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Bill Akins

Since BP muzzleloaders are unregulated by the federal government and are exempt from the national firearms act (NFA), you have no federal laws to have to conform to. You may sell them as you would sell any other unregulated item. Being federally unregulated and considered an antique weapon, you may also mail them directly to the purchaser without you having to be a firearms dealer or having to go through a firearms dealer. There is also no paperwork to have to fill out. It is however a good idea to get a statement of age and that the person is not adjudicated a mental incompetent just to protect yourself from any civil lawsuits where you could have accidentally sold to a minor or mental case who then used it in a crime and then the victims tried to sue you. By getting proof they are an adult and a statement that they are not a mental incompetent, you are simply covering yourself against civil lawsuit even though you are not required by federal law to get that information.

However, there are a few states such as N.J. that will not allow the unregulated sale of BP muzzle loading revolvers. Some state laws are more restrictive than federal law. So it is always best to also check state laws even though you don't have any federal laws to worry about.

As for how I would sell them in a store? I'd lay them on top of U.S. or confederate flag pictures or some kind of civil war picture inside of a glass case (If you have a glass display case) and attach an easy to see price tag on them.

As an alternative to a physical store, you could open up a virtual store on gunbroker's auction site.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 12, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

When I opened my gun shop, many years ago, I was in the heart of muzzle loading country. The plan was a muzzle loading only speciality store. Business was near zero. I learned several things very quickly. Trading is a big key to selling new guns. There are many-many more potential customers for modern guns than muzzle loaders. Gun buyers need to have confidence in who they are buying from (exception these days are the big discount stores with deep price cuts) and they want good service.
After I started stocking and trading modern guns my ml business kicked in. As customers got to know me they referred others to me and brought in guns for trade. I always made a point of letting customers I could special order anything (legal) they needed, including parts and accessories. I hired a gunsmith and that really brought in the traffic, and profits.
To compete with the discounters I sold under or over them but no way could I compete head to head with identical products so I didn't try. But customers would buy their low priced guns (in modern usually H&A at that time) from K Mart then come to me for accessories and gunsmithing. I loved K Mart being there.
If what you plan is only a side line maybe friends will get the word out and you will be able to sell the items you have on hand.
A good sign out front, getting around to shooting and gun related events is another good way to promote. But promote you must do.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:37 AM   #12
arcticap

~~~~~Reward!~~~~~

Wanted Dead Or Alive!

Black Powder Revolvers

If You Know Their Whereabouts,
Give Us a Call and We'll Send Out a Posse to Round Them Up!
Come In and See Sheriff Bill Hardy at the Smokin' Gun Shop
For All of Your Black Powder Shooting Needs.
Cowboy Shooting Is the Most Fun You Can Have With Your Shoes On!
Federal Forms Never Required!
Call Him Today at 864-804-7080

Last edited by arcticap; March 12, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:59 AM   #13
kilog55

id leave out the fact you dont need any background or form to fill out, all we need is for someone to learn of such things and certain "modifications" for the revolvers to have an unregistered gun, but street guns are easily acquired too so its a no win situation.

but yeah id do something catchy with history involved and have some northern based steel frames as well, what confederate woudlnt want to say they killed a union officer and took his brand new revolver?
Old March 12, 2011, 10:05 AM   #14
ClemBert

Hardy, feel free to plagiarize, hack, modify, or throwout what I wrote. I think the key is to capture the imagination of those who aren't already involved with reenactments. I'm sure the reenactment fellas already know about you. I'm certain there's a large segment of the population that always was curious about the firearms they see in those all those war and old west movies. As someone else suggested it would be most helpful to be able to demonstrate these firearms to newbs by having a place to fire them. It would certainly make it easier to hook them. The other thing is, if you aren't already doing it, is to show up at the local gun ranges when they are busy and make a lot of smoke-n-boom. It seems that a real demonstration of these firearms is always a crowd pleaser. There've been numerous reports on this forum about some of your buds on here hooking some of those smokeless devils into our sport.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:20 AM   #15
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilog55
id leave out the fact you dont need any background or form to fill out, all we need is for someone to learn of such things and certain "modifications" for the revolvers to have an unregistered gun, but street guns are easily acquired too so its a no win situation.
I know a lot of folks think that way but hiding the truth doesn't promote gun rights which this website is suppose to be about.

If these guns don't require Federal forms then that's simply a selling point.
No one should be afraid to advertise the truth about them in black and white.
After all the purpose of his business is to promote 2nd Amendment rights by selling guns to anyone who is legally qualified.
That mission is sacred and the reason why the 2nd Amendment exists.
People either believe in and fully support the 2nd Amendment or they don't.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:30 AM   #16
ClemBert

+1 arcticap

Also, with regards to being able to convert cap-n-ball revolvers to cartridge revolvers in 20 seconds is a big selling point for those concerned that they're gonna end up with some unusable firearm on a windy day.

Hardy, do you stock conversion cylinders? You might want to have one on hand for demonstration purposes.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:00 AM   #17
kilog55

i agree, but if you watch some of the vids on youtube a few guys explicitly say if you cannot legally purchase a handgun this is the way to go. its just more fuel for the anti fires.

then again a 45lc is a bit too much for a gangbanger to handle they like their little 9mm lol
Old March 12, 2011, 11:01 AM   #18
junkman_01

I think you are a troll. Ease up or go away.

kilog55:
Real Name
Shawn Davis
State or Province
Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Date of Birth
March 18, 1979 (31)

Last edited by junkman_01; March 12, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old March 12, 2011, 12:12 PM   #19
kilog55

and you're close minded and or sheltered so open up or shut up
Old March 12, 2011, 01:03 PM   #20
junkman_01

You will find that most of the members here are a very conservative bunch and will not put up with the trash you are pushing. Are you sure you are not a card carrying Brady-buncher?
Old March 12, 2011, 01:26 PM   #21
Doc Hoy

Last time I checked...

...we were all on the same side.
Old March 12, 2011, 01:36 PM   #22
junkman_01

Doc,

We are not on the same side if this guy is a troll or Brady-buncher!
Old March 12, 2011, 02:59 PM   #23
kilog55

i can assure i am more pro gun than you are, and i will not endorse loopholes for criminals to obtain handguns more so than they have already
Old March 12, 2011, 03:01 PM   #24
junkman_01

Go home and see if your walls will listen to you.
Old March 12, 2011, 03:31 PM   #25
kilog55

Sorry Hardy some people refuse to grow up.

like i said use history and hollywood as selling points as well as incentives to buy packaged deals. like say throw in 30 free lubed wads, or 100 percussion caps with purchase of revolver, balls and powder.
Closed Thread