The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2007, 07:31 PM   #1
rangermonroe

Lee or RCBS hand primer?

Well, as I have decided to start reloading the 5.7 x 28mm round, I had to break down and buy a set of RCBS dies. Not my first, mind you, but not my favorite manufacturer.

After cleaning and resizing 400 rounds, I discovered that my set of LEE shellholders doesn't have one that fits this caliber/ case.

Well, what to do? I broke out the calipers, took some measurements, and off to the steel supply house I go. I'll just make one!

So last night, I am at my rangerbuddys house and spy his RCBS hand primer. That damn thing takes the same shell holder as the press!

Well, I don't really like my Lee hand primer very much, ergonomics and such, but I do not hate it nor desire to replace it. I do worry about primer detonation/tray conflagration and such.

After looking at the RCBS primer, it seems that it is a better design all around. Is this an accurate observation?

I see the flaws in the Lee design because I use one, I hope that the grass does not just appear to be more "green" with RCBS.

Thoughts/ experiences?
Old January 14, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have the same question as you do, Ranger.
I like the Lee, but my thumb gets a little tired after 2000 rounds. What beefs do you have in specific?
Old January 14, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
RERICK

Rcbs

I use the RCBS aps hand primer and I also bought the strip loader this way I can use whatever primers I choose instead of just CCI.The strips hold 25 primers each.No need to buy extra shell holders as it doesn't use them it is universal.It is an awesome tool and I wouldn't do it any other way.I haven't had one problem with it and it doesn't seem as if I will either.

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=5&s3=48

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=5&s3=51
Old January 14, 2007, 08:48 PM   #4
mjrodney

Quote:
I like the Lee, but my thumb gets a little tired after 2000 rounds.
Two thousand rounds at a session?

I'm thinkin' Aesop's Fables.

After 300, I've got a thumb that looks like Popeye's.
Old January 14, 2007, 09:14 PM   #5
cheygriz

I've tried several brands of hand priming tools, and didn't like any of them. The RCBS bench mounted priming tool is now used for anything that isn't loaded on the progressives.

The bench tool uses standard shellholders, and 50 round primer tubes. (I use the 100 round Dillon tubes in mine, as they work quite well and don't have to be refilled so often.

With the RCBS bench tool, it is easy to "feel" the primer bottom out in the pocket.
Old January 14, 2007, 09:40 PM   #6
rangermonroe

Quote:
I like the Lee, but my thumb gets a little tired ....
Not that I have done 2K, but it is 'opposite the RCBS (ergonomics). I like the feel of the RCBS 'better'.

I have primed several hundred at a sitting with my Lee, and 'dry fired' 7 or so with my buddy's RCBS. It seems that I like his better.

It seems that his is less prone to primer tray detonation than is mine.

Am I mistaken?

I think that I am woefully misguided, and should purchase the Smithy CNC Mill drill lathe combo that I have been eyeballing for a few years. That would allow me to fabricate the Lee shellholder that I need...so I can save $ by reloading the ammo I might shoot.

One of you wordsmiths rewrite what I just said in 'lady speak' that is convincing. I'll reward you with a custom shellholder.
Old January 14, 2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Trapper L

You may want to consider the age of your shell holders before buying the RCBS hand prime. I bought one from Midway when they had them on sale. I have always used the Lee and the covers seemingly always warp. Anyway, the older shell holders will not fit in the new RCBS priming tool. The bottom has a cone milled into it and the older ones are milled too short and not enough flair. I called RCBS and they offered free replacement of the shell holders. I had two issues with that, it would take a month for me to send them mine and then they send me replacements. They did send me new shellholders for the 308 and 223 sized cases but neither one of them can you get a case into- they are cut wrong. I sent the whole mess back. I bought another Lee instead but I don't have the issues that you have either. RCBS may be the only option but buy a NEW shell holder for it anyway.
Old January 14, 2007, 11:39 PM   #8
cloudcroft

I have one of the Lee hand-primers.

I've read posts where people say theirs broke after LOTS of use, but I haven't used mine long enough to verify that report.

I will make an educated guess, however, that the Lee hand-primers are the least durable of those available...but by the time it breaks -- IF it does -- you may be too senile to notice...or even care.

-- John D.
Old January 15, 2007, 12:44 AM   #9
rwilson452

Lee hand primer breakage

I know of one that broke. It wasn't mine. He didn't follow the directions for lubrication. He was trying to seat primers in Mil-surp cases without removing the crimp completely. He said he had to use both thumbs to get the primer to seat. I have seated many thousands of primers with mine and no problems. Yes I have had it for years. Yes, the lid is getting a little loose but it still stays on. I have used it for large rifle and pistol and small pistol. Not too many small pistol as I bought another one and set it up for small primers. Then I bought a progressive press for pistol stuff and don't use it to do pistol primers anymore. I still use a single stage press for my rifle reloading.
Old January 15, 2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Windwalker

Got both, love one and use the other.

I have both, the little Lee I bought when me and my wife started reloading, gawd we were young. It was only set up for 38/357 as that was all we had at the time. I wouldn't trade it for anything because of the memories but use the RCBS almost exclusively now days. It's nice to grip, I can "feel" the primer seat better, and best of all it uses shellholders from my presses.
Old January 15, 2007, 03:50 AM   #11
Bullet94

I’ve never tried the Lee or RCBS hand primer.

This is what I use –

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...000&type=store
Old January 15, 2007, 08:44 AM   #12
Randy_che

I like my Lee, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. It's good enough though.

Have you called Lee and asked for the shell holder? They'll probably make you one for a couple of dollars.

As far as putting it into lady words and the lathe... Just buy it and tell her that you've wanted it for a long time, but held off until (insert some financial goal here). For example, until we paid off the car.
Old January 15, 2007, 08:59 AM   #13
jsflagstad

I use the Lee

I use the Lee and haven't had any problems with it. I bought it used and have used it for about 2 years since. I lube it with the heavy thick STP oil additive and that seems to work well. The RCBS sounds nice with the universal shell holder though. I wonder what the cost difference is, taking into account the cost of the individual shell holders for the Lee? That might be an interesting comparison. I have never used my Lee priming tool for 2000 primers in a session, if I am loading that kind of volume it is a job for my Loadmaster.

JSF
Old January 15, 2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Thirties

"I see the flaws in the Lee design because I use one, I hope that the grass does not just appear to be more "green" with RCBS. Thoughts/ experiences?"

My thought and experience says: Hornady hand primer

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=217

Old January 15, 2007, 11:20 AM   #15
Ausserordeutlich

Haven't tried the Hornady, but do MUCH prefer the RCBS to the Lee.
Old January 15, 2007, 12:03 PM   #16
BigJakeJ1s

I've used the Lee autoprime in the past, but got a new RCBS universal hand primer for Christmas. It has a universal shellholder (.32 ACP - .45-70 Gov't) like the APS hand primer, but has a larger, square primer tray than the older RCBS, or the Lee for that matter. It takes a full factory tray of primers flat in the bottom of the tray, making it easy to put all the primers in right side up with no shaking to flip them. The lid is held on with a friction fit plastic post that squeezes into a hole in the center of the tray (hole is not big enough to spill even small primers). The tray slips in/out of the hand unit, and has a sliding gate to prevent spilling when not on the hand unit. The hand unit works extremely well, with the four fingers providing the squeeze, as opposed to the thumb. After a couple hundred rounds on the old Lee, my thumb would start to ache a little. No such problem with the RCBS universal. The universal shellholder works well, but does require a bit of pressure to slide the case in, separating the spring loaded jaws. It takes a little more getting used to, and I occasionally have to slide the shell around against the spring pressure to get it to center on the priming punch (it does not always automatically center the shell). It is fairly easy to change between small and large primers (the same tray is used, but a different punch, and plastic, internal primer guide must be installed). However, now that I have both it and the Lee, I'll probably just set up the Lee for small primers (I don't reload very many of them anyway), and keep the RCBS set up for large primers, which is the majority of what I use. Maybe I'll ask for another RCBS for next Christmas, so I can keep it set up for small primers.

My only beef of the RCBS is the lack of strong, consistent centering of the shell over the priming punch. I also have a COAX press with similar universal shell holder, but it has a small adjustment screw that helps keep the jaws centered for a specific diameter shell. I believe that would be a worthwhile addition to the Universal hand primer, but I'm pretty sure this problem will go away as I get more used to the feel of it.

Long story short, the RCBS universal hand primer is a very nice hand primer that I prefer to the Lee, especially if you hand prime a few hundred or more at a time.

Andy
Old January 15, 2007, 12:21 PM   #17
Mal H
Staff

To me, there is no contest between the Lee and RCBS hand press both in quality and ease of use. The RCBS wins hands down, so to speak.
Old January 15, 2007, 02:09 PM   #18
rangermonroe

Thanks guys, I will give the RCBS primer a try.
Old January 15, 2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Peter M. Eick

Here are 3 different lee primers that I have broken in the last 25 years. They seem to last about 8 to 10 thousand rounds then break. Note that each one breaks in a different place.

When I get around to it I will send in all of the parts to lee and let them send me back a couple three new ones. They say I have to pay 1/2 new price to get rebuilds.

In the mean time. I bought an RCBS.......
Old January 15, 2007, 04:07 PM   #20
rangermonroe

I called Lee and they will make me one for $8.

I spent more than that on a piece of steel to make my own.
Old January 15, 2007, 09:35 PM   #21
Shane Tuttle
Staff

mjrodney,
You're right about the popeye arms!(feels like 'em, but doesn't look it! ).

Cloudcroft,
All I can say is I'm APPROX. in the 50,000 round range with mine. Sure, something that is economically priced is not made as well as others. But if I recall, Lee designed his stuff originally for the poor guy, so to speak. And if it broke on me tomorrow, I think it was money worth spent.
Like you said...maybe you'll be too old and senile to notice or care!
Old January 15, 2007, 10:35 PM   #22
cloudcroft

tuttle8,

"...Lee designed his stuff originally for the poor guy, so to speak."

True.

And I have been telling Lee bashers for years now that since 1958, Lee Precision has gotten more people into reloading than ALL the other brands combined.

I've also said that ALL American reloading companies make good stuff...including Lee.

His stuff is just..."different."

"Like you said...maybe you'll be too old and senile to notice or care!"

Also true...if I'm unlucky enough to live that long to see THAT day come.

-- John D.
Old January 31, 2007, 02:23 AM   #23
hinkleid

I bought the Lee Auto Prime at Cabela's for under $10. I have loaded about 100 rounds so far and works fine. If it were to break after x,000 rounds I won't complain over $10... so what.

The RCBS unit was around $30 I think.
Old January 31, 2007, 06:00 AM   #24
kojak

Price is not the issue. We spend so much on powder, bullets etc.

I own both. The Lee is better. More feel. If it breaks buy a new one. However, I tried to prime .300 WSM cases. Didn't work. The shellholder fits but the .300 WSM cases don't fit into the frame of the primer.

The RCBS tool will last forever except the plastic parts perhaps, but it is very complicated to switch to another shellholder and you got less feel.
Old January 31, 2007, 12:05 PM   #25
Crazy4nitro

I have an RCBS hand primer that uses the strips of primers. I love it but have never used any others.....

Just my 2 cents

'Nitro