The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 10, 2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Rough Handguard on Ruger PR

My Ruger Precision Rifle arrived. I got the scope set up and installed, and I attached a bipod.

Question: is it normal for these things to have rough edges around the holes in the handguards? Mine reminds me of a cheese grater.

I could deburr it, but I'd have to get someone to redo the anodizing or whatever it is.

I sent an inquiry to Ruger. Maybe they're all like this.

Old July 10, 2020, 09:18 PM   #2
10-96

They make fillers that fill up those holes. But, I've found that wrapping it with medical type coban tape. It softens the grip, can be replaced quick and in a hurry, still breathes pretty well to dissipate heat, seems to help the mirage of a hot barrel, comes in just about any color you want. Yeah, it looks kinda hillbilly and tacky, but I've found that if your targets look like you know what you're doing, folks tend to leave you alone about the looks thing.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 18, 2020, 02:03 AM   #3
Metal god

Where did you get the rifle I ask because that does not look like their stock handguard to me it doesn’t look anything like mine which is a GEN 2

EDIT

Looks like you have the GEN 3 model which has the M lock hand guard my GEN 2 has a key mod . My edges are not sharp and do not need the burning in anyway but are also not rounded in anyway either . Fhey definitely have an edge But nothing too aggressive

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 18, 2020 at 04:11 AM.