The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 18, 2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

Shooting Four Paper Bad Guys, part deux

Okay, we'll try this again. And when you click on the link, apparently it sends you to a sign up page for DropBox. You don't have to sign up (it's free anyway, but just saying). Just click the 'x' in the upper right corner to close the sign up form, and watch the video. Sorry about the inconvenience, but I'm not computer savvy enough to know how to fix that.

Took a training course Saturday morning and managed to take a short video of one of the cycles. Thought I'd post it for some constructive criticism.

In this scenario there are four bad guys in various states of readiness: one has an AR, but it's pointed at the sky. One has a revolver pointed in my direction but not looking down the sights. One is holding an Uzi at the hip. And finally one is pointing a glock at me and is looking down the sights.

The BGs were numbered, but out of order from left to right. 1 and 3 were in the middle, 2 and 4 were on the outside. The drill required the shooter to decide which BGs were the most immediately dangerous, and shoot in that order. Each BG required one 'effective' torso shot (a smaller version of COM, as some BGs were using cover, and some were just in profile, which made the torso area much narrower). Some BGs were 'peeking' from behind a 'wall,' making good hits more difficult.

Last shot was a cranial-ocular, as one BG was apparently wearing body armor and got back up. Video is about 38 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w8j52c9kh..._1686.MOV?dl=0

Now, I've tested this twice so it should work. Please let me know if it doesn't. Thx.

Oh, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; September 18, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old September 18, 2017, 06:43 PM   #2
GarandTd

The video worked. I didn't even get a sign up screen. I've never participated in anything like that, so you won't get any criticisms from me, constructive or not.

At the beginning before you holster, what are you doing with the pistol? Were you topping off the mag after chambering a round?
Old September 18, 2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
The video worked. I didn't even get a sign up screen. I've never participated in anything like that, so you won't get any criticisms from me, constructive or not.

At the beginning before you holster, what are you doing with the pistol? Were you topping off the mag after chambering a round?
I'm doing an 'administrative' safety check and reload: Chamber check and magwell check to ensure both are empty and without obstruction. Insert a magazine, charge the chamber, another chamber check to ensure that a round is now in the chamber, and finally removing the mag to check that the top round is properly seated to the rear of the mag and then re-inserting the mag. And then re-holster.

We do this because we always approach the firing line with an empty pistol on the first cycle through a new drill.

Thanks for letting me know the link finally works as it's supposed to. That took more time and effort than I care to think about. Certainly a lot more effort than learning how too do that administrative check/reload drill.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

Interesting. 79 views and no critiques. I figured I'd get bashed pretty good, at least for the little dips between targets (something I've been working on this year). Or how slow my draw stroke was, or something. In case anyone is worried they'll hurt my feelings, don't. Nothing anyone can write on the interweb about me is going to impact my emotions.

Please feel free to 'bash ' my performance to your heart's content.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:34 PM   #5
2damnold4this

I could see the video but it is kinda limiting in the information it provides. It does look like you had some fun and accomplished what you were trying.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
I could see the video but it is kinda limiting in the information it provides. It does look like you had some fun and accomplished what you were trying.
Yeah, my cameraman is really a machinist, so he didn't think to capture the targets, just me.

And it was a lot of fun. Thanks for the reply, and letting me know that the video worked for you.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:37 PM   #7
OhioGuy

Good recoil control.
Old September 20, 2017, 07:59 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Good recoil control.
Thanks. I've been working pretty hard on that. One thing that helped a lot was watching Rob Leatham's video, "Aiming is Useless!" Which I didn't want to watch for a long time because of the title. But earlier this year I finally watched it and found a lot of very useful tips and information in there.
Old September 21, 2017, 10:43 AM   #9
hdwhit

No critique here.

You appear to have done a good job assessing the threat represented by each of the targets and responding to it in order. As has already been said, the camera work was less than stellar.
Old September 21, 2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Ed4032

What gun are you using?
Old September 21, 2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
What gun are you using?
My new S&W M&P 9 2.0.
Old September 22, 2017, 01:10 PM   #12
AK103K

My only thoughts on doing things differently there would be, quickly move offline as you draw and shoot, engage the targets faster and shoot faster, and with more than one round.

Not bashing at all either, just sayin.
Old September 22, 2017, 01:49 PM   #13
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
My only thoughts on doing things differently there would be, quickly move offline as you draw and shoot, engage the targets faster and shoot faster, and with more than one round.

Not bashing at all either, just sayin.
We do something very similar to your suggestion in a drill later in the day. This could be thought of as an "intro to skills" drill. So in this one we don't step off line until after shooting the four BGs with a single round to the COM.

In a later drill we fire two rounds into the first BG, then step off line, fire two rounds into another BG, step off line, and so on.

And I hear ya on the speed. In my defense, that was my first attempt at that drill, and the varied sizes and shapes of the COMs, cranial-optical zones, plus varied distances, forced me to slow down a bit. The BG in profile was a woman, think fitness model body-type, so her COM looked like a 16-inch tall upside-down bowling pin/milk jug. The peeping BG had a COM that was about 15 inches high, but only 4 inches wide, and it looked kind of like an arrow fletching, curved on one side. Likewise, the peeper was only showing a little over half his head, making his cranial-optical zone about half the normal size.

However, I feel that I can get faster, and I intend to make speed a critical focus in my training for the next year or so.

And thanks for the bashing.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; September 22, 2017 at 03:55 PM.