The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2010, 02:13 PM   #26
gew98

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...5f8e461d5eab4a

http://skinnersights.com/index.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/

Here's some links if anyone has not been to them yet.
Old December 22, 2010, 11:48 PM   #27
totaldla

52.5gr of H4895 behind a 525gr bullet in a 45-70 with a COL less than 2.6"?

I'm having a hard time understanding how you got that much bullet into a case with that much H4895. I wonder what Quickload will say about that - my guess is that you're into the 50K+ psi range.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:05 AM   #28
Ideal Tool

Hello, sem_problomatic. In your dec. 20 post, you said "I want RCBS carbide dies" RCBS nor anyone that I am aware of makes carbide dies for the .45-70.
If you think that you would ever get into shooting or casting lead bullets, you might want to check out the RCBS Cowboy dies..these are dimensioned so as not to oversize the brass & generally have a larger expander plug for use with cast bullets. One of the best old time hunting bullets designed by A.C. Gould..a famous gun writer of the late 19th century, for the 1886 Winchester is still in production, the Lyman 45722 a 290gr hollow point. Best of luck!
Old December 23, 2010, 09:41 PM   #29
ipscchef

For Totaldla

Totaldla,
This is a load given on the Beartooth Bullet site, under the "45-70 Piledriver" link, if you need to argue with someone, go to their website, look up the data and argue with them. I believe that I have already given you that information, so you have had time to research it for yourself. I have loaded these rounds from the info on their site and they function in my gun. I gave you velocities from MY GUN. If for some reason you do not believe what I am saying, well then I do not know what to tell you except for what I just posted. I am sorry that you consider me to be not a truthful person, as I always strive to be truthful, it is what I believe makes us who we are. I did go out and shoot five rounds from my gun over my ProChrono just so I could give you actual results. That and it gave me a reason to go outside and shoot one of my guns. I have not posted anything that are guesses. In my first post on this thread I did post some innacuraces, which I am at fault for. The data I have posted since are not "guesses", but fact.
I do not know what Quickload would say about this load. I am not an engineer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. But I do have two freinds that are, one being a physicist and the other a machinest/CNC engineer and a ballistics expert. They, along with some on TFL have said that some of the results from quickload are specious at best. Please do not take my word for it, do a thread search for yourself and see what results you get.
I do not know else how to respond to you, as you appear to consider me to be of dubious nature.
Again, go to "Beartooth Bullets" site and see what they have to say.

Sincerely,

Bill Henderson

Last edited by ipscchef; December 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old December 24, 2010, 11:48 AM   #30
semi_problomatic

Wait... I thought they made carbide dies for straight walled cases. No wonder I haven't been able to find them anywhere...
Old December 24, 2010, 08:22 PM   #31
totaldla

ipscchef: Sorry. I checked the Beartooth site. They indicate they've pressure tested the load and it stays under 40Kpsi.
Old December 24, 2010, 11:26 PM   #32
ipscchef

Totaldla

Totaldla, cool. I apologize also, I tend to get offended too easily sometimes. I reread my post to you and I have to say I am sorry for the way I said some of the things that I did. As my Wife has to remind me occasionaly, I tend to get backed up a little too quickly and then get on my high horse. As she says, "Honey, you can dish it out with the best of them, but you aren't very good about taking it"! As most always, she is right.
You seem to be one of the many good people here that have a world of information that I can learn from, and hopefully I may be able to contribute.We can all share knowledge in good spirit. That is one of the many reasons I really love this place!
I look forward to being able to share information, experiences and thoughts with you and others here in the future!!
And I do apologize to everyone here, esp. the OP for boogering up someone elses thread with my ranting.

And to you and yours; THE VERY MERRIEST OF CHRISTMASSES AND MY PRAYERS THAT YOU AND ALL OF YOURS HAVE A JOYFUL AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
Bill "Willy" Henderson

Last edited by ipscchef; December 25, 2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old December 25, 2010, 10:34 AM   #33
Cary

semi_problomatic,
The 45-70 case has a slight taper to it. From a drawing in my Lee Manual the case measures .504" near the head and .481" near the mouth. Ya, it would be nice if you could use carbide dies.
Cary
Old December 26, 2010, 09:31 AM   #34
semi_problomatic

Thanks for the info everyone! And the links to beartooth
Old December 26, 2010, 09:55 AM   #35
flashhole

Marshall at Beartooth runs a pretty decent forum but I've noticed participation has fallen off a bit since Bob Fawcett passed. Lot's of knowledgable folks over there too.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 26, 2010, 12:00 PM   #36
bbqncigars

FWIW, the 45-70 is a tapered case. Thus a carbide resizing die would get pricey fast.

Wayne
Old January 3, 2011, 03:49 PM   #37
semi_problomatic

Just to update... I got 1lbs of reloader 7 and some 350, 405, and 525gr bullets ordered from beartooth. I bought a set of rcbs dies in 45-70, but I'm trying to find that seperate roll crimp die. The people at Van's are talking to rcbs to see if they can order one for me. I haven't been able to find one made by rcbs, and I was worried I'd buy the same thing that came in the 3-die kit. And Skinner sights isn't making the ladder sights yet, but has informed me that when they do, they'll e-mail me. *crosses fingers*. As soon as I get my bullets from beartooth I'll load some up and let you know how they did!
Old January 3, 2011, 03:59 PM   #38
flashhole

Good for you. I'd be interested in reading your report on the 525 grain bullet loads and how they performed. Looking forward to it. Good luck with your load development.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 3, 2011, 04:11 PM   #39
semi_problomatic

Oh yeah, i got the bullets sized .460, its what pretty much everyone said to get.