The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 16, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1
BanditSRT8

Can we get quote and MULTI-quote buttons?

Please?

It makes it sooo much easier to reference one member's particular post on a long thread that way. And I hate having to manually code in the [ quote ] tags...
Old February 16, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Creature

There's your quote button right there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quote button.jpg (15.5 KB, 33 views)
Old February 16, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3
BanditSRT8

No, I mean on each person's posts there can be a quote or multiquote button. As you read their post, you click the quote button and it automatically sets up ALL of the coding for THAT exact post.

Multiquote does the same thing, but allows you to click on multiple posts before going to your textbox.

With the one you show, you need to hit "post" go to your textbox, scroll way back up, copy the post you want to refer to, paste it into the code that this button gives you, then keep on going.

With the one I'm tlaking about you click one single button as you're reading (before you hit "post reply) and it automatically does EVERYTHING for you. No copy/paste or decent memory required.
Old February 16, 2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Creature

Ahhh, yes...I know what you mean now...the "quote" button at the bottom of each reply in a thread. I have seen them in other forums and they are quite handy. I wonder why it's not used here?
Old February 16, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature
Ahhh, yes...I know what you mean now...the "quote" button at the bottom of each reply in a thread. I have seen them in other forums and they are quite handy. I wonder why it's not used here?
-USMC Rules of Combat #23: Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
-Vigilance requires no apology or explanation.
-NRA Life Member
They aren't used here for the same reason we don't allow avatars. They invariably add to the noise and diminish the signal. For example: Quoting the post directly above in its entirety like I just did.

Here is another example:
Old February 16, 2008, 10:11 PM   #6
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8
No, I mean on each person's posts there can be a quote or multiquote button. As you read their post, you click the quote button and it automatically sets up ALL of the coding for THAT exact post.

Multiquote does the same thing, but allows you to click on multiple posts before going to your textbox.

With the one you show, you need to hit "post" go to your textbox, scroll way back up, copy the post you want to refer to, paste it into the code that this button gives you, then keep on going.

With the one I'm tlaking about you click one single button as you're reading (before you hit "post reply) and it automatically does EVERYTHING for you. No copy/paste or decent memory required.
+1
Old February 17, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Creature

Quote:
They invariably add to the noise and diminish the signal.
I didnt know this. I can see how avatars could add A LOT of extra data, but I didnt know that quotations added very much as well. I learn something new everyday.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8
No copy/paste or decent memory required.
Nope... Nothing but shear sloth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature
I wonder why it's not used here?
Just to go over it, in case you missed Dave's excellent examples...

People tend to get lazy (it's just a part of our nature). An entire post is copied when you only mean to reply to a single point. Everyone else must read through the (now) large post to get to your 1 point.

Most people won't edit down the copied/quoted material to reflect they are simply responding to a single point of a previous post (as I have done above).

This was a problem in the early days of dial-up BBS's and the problem simply migrated to the web. All of this extra quoted material is the "noise" and the signal gets lost.
Old February 17, 2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Thanks TBM and Antipitas for the good explanations. I was simply going to answer the original question, "No!".
Old February 17, 2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

"It makes it sooo much easier to reference one member's particular post"

So does copy and paste between quotes, as I have done above.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:26 AM   #11
BanditSRT8

LOL, it's amazing how all that was rationalized.

It adds no extra "noise" to a forum. It functions in the exact same way as your existing button... except it actually does everything for you.

And to call anyone lazy for not wanting to open a text box, hit the quote code, scroll back through (possibly to PRIOR PAGES), copy the post, paste post in text box, go back and copy poster's name in case it's a funky spelled odd name, then do all of that over and over again in case you're quoting more than one post....

That's just ridiculous.

That's like saying you're lazy for not wanting to turn a crank to start your car. Sorry... I'd much rather use an ignition key thank you.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:36 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Quote:

It adds no extra "noise" to a forum. It functions in the exact same way as your existing button... except it actually does everything for you.

And to call anyone lazy for not wanting to open a text box, hit the quote code, scroll back through (possibly to PRIOR PAGES), copy the post, paste post in text box, go back and copy poster's name in case it's a funky spelled odd name, then do all of that over and over again in case you're quoting more than one post....

That's just ridiculous.

That's like saying you're lazy for not wanting to turn a crank to start your car. Sorry... I'd much rather use an ignition key thank you.
Noted.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:41 AM   #13
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalH
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

Noted.
+1 No noise here.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

Noted.
+1 No noise here.
Have to agree.

It's just a rationalization.

Until complete and total retards who are too lazy to use even a modicum of common sense and prune the quotes so that they're quoting a discrete portion of a post start "serial quoting" as is being demonstrated above.

And it always seems that most of these quotetards, yes, that's a new word, you can use it, don't have anything much to say. They just want to weigh in with a +1, QFT, RIGHT ON, or some other such drivel.

And then, of course, ANOTHER quotetard feels compelled to jump on that bandwagon with an equally pointless, inane "contribution."

But hey, anyone who thinks it's a rationalization? $100 and you can have a forum all your very own where you allow endless, mindless, quotetarding.

Old February 17, 2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

Noted.
+1 No noise here.
Have to agree.

Until complete and total retards who are too lazy to use even a modicum of common sense and prune the quotes so that they're quoting a discrete portion of a post start "serial quoting" as is being demonstrated above.

And it always seems that most of these quotetards, yes, that's a new word, you can use it, don't have anything much to say. They just want to weigh in with a +1, QFT, RIGHT ON, or some other such drivel.

And then, of course, ANOTHER quotetard feels compelled to jump on that bandwagon with an equally pointless, inane "contribution."

But hey, anyone who thinks it's a rationalization? $100 and you can have a forum all your very own where you allow endless, mindless, quotetarding.
Oh, I just wanted to give myself a +1!

Old February 17, 2008, 12:33 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

Noted.
+1 No noise here.
Have to agree.

In my mind's eye, Mike Irwin sits...in a dark room, chain-smoking unfiltered camels and drinking a neat bourbon...while muttering about the eTards and chortling at some particularly inventive bit of vitriol. -- Justin, APS
Hey this is fun.

WildhaveyouhuggedyourS&W12todayAlaska TM
Old February 17, 2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

Noted.
+1 No noise here.
Have to agree.

In my mind's eye, Mike Irwin sits...in a dark room, chain-smoking unfiltered camels and drinking a neat bourbon...while muttering about the eTards and chortling at some particularly inventive bit of vitriol. -- Justin, APS
Hey this is fun.

Stop it, you quotetard!

Old February 17, 2008, 01:14 PM   #18
BanditSRT8

LOL @ quotetard.. great word.

Point is that if someone is going to quote to the degree you are saying... they'll STILL dot it, even in the ridiculous long version we currently have.

Adding a simplified true quote button won't make it any better or worse on that front.

Old February 17, 2008, 01:24 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Actually, you are QUITE wrong in that regard.

At one time TFL did have a quote button, and the kind of crap that is being described (and demonstrated) was a common occurrence.

It got to the point where the quote button was removed, and the problem ceased to exist.

Other than this one, please find a thread where quotetarding is an issue.

Yes, there are threads where previous messages are quoted, but it's not even remotely close to the degree that it once was, nor do the quotes go on endlessly.

Not having a quote button does several things.

First, it disarms the lazy quoter, the quotetard.

Second, it helps make those people who are interested in quoting a message THINK about what they're quoting.

Third (the only drawback) it makes some people complain because there's no quote button.

Old February 18, 2008, 09:05 AM   #20
ssilicon

My personal preference as a reader is to skim past excessive quoted messages than to have messages with a lack of clarity because it was too inconvenient or not apparent on how to quote meaningful information.

In short, it is much easier to block out some noise, then to try to figure out how some signals were modulated so to speak.

That's as a reader. As a poster there is no question that the buttons would be a boon.

One mans opinion.
Old February 18, 2008, 10:24 AM   #21
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssilicon
In short, it is much easier to block out some noise, then to try to figure out how some signals were modulated so to speak.
And it is much easier if the noise is blocked at the transmission site before it enters the stream. TFL is the transmission site. Removing the "quote" button did, in fact, help boost that particular signal to noise ratio.

The bottom line? The "quote" button will not return.
Old February 18, 2008, 10:37 AM   #22
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

Noted.
+1 No noise here.
Have to agree.

Hey this is fun.

Stop it, you quotetard!
Seconded... Wild, can you go back to using your sig to critique biased posts/posters in L&P plx?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)