The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 3, 2016, 01:19 PM   #1
dewcrew8

suppressor help? laws on pinning/welding them

ok my dealer has my suppressor and 10.5 barrel. We plan on putting it on but he knows that it must be welded or pinned on. Because of the 16 inch rule but, how many beads/ all around bead weld do we need to be legal . thanks for your input!

Last edited by dewcrew8; November 4, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old November 3, 2016, 03:00 PM   #2
rjrivero

Silver solder is probably the best way to go. That way you can remove it with minimal damage.
Old November 3, 2016, 03:24 PM   #3
TMD

As much as quality suppressors cost I don't understand the desire to weld or pin it just to save $200 on another stamp. You pretty much limit the use of that can to a one gun wonder.
Old November 3, 2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Theohazard

Yeah, pin-and-weld jobs on silencers were popular back when SBRs were illegal here in WA, but now that SBRs are legal nobody does it. For just $200 you can avoid the cost of the gunsmithing work and have an SBR instead. That lets you take the silencer off to make the gun more compact or to move the slencer around to other hosts.

So unless you live in a state where SBRs are illegal or restricted in some way (or you're constantly travelling interstate with the firearm and you don't want to file a Form 5320.20), it doesn't make much sense to pin-and-weld a silencer to a barrel.
Old November 3, 2016, 06:28 PM   #5
dewcrew8

yes
I do agree that sbr stamp might be better but the rifle is my wife's and I could just pull the barrel so she can do her thing!

Last edited by dewcrew8; November 6, 2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old November 3, 2016, 07:40 PM   #6
Mobuck

I don't think just running a bead around the base of the can would be a good idea IN ANY WAY. I do some technical welding (not wielding) and the stress from a full circumference bead would be very detrimental to accuracy.
Old November 3, 2016, 07:43 PM   #7
MarkCO

My shrouded .22 barrel and integrally suppressed 9mm both have a hole drilled, a pin inserted then silver soldered. Done by an NFA manufacturer so it is legal.
Old November 4, 2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Mobuck

FWIW
The "weld" is just to prevent "easy removal" of the pin which is considered the actual "permanent attachment". IF the indent (in the barrel)for the pin is insufficient, it is still possible to loosen the muzzle device even though the parts may be damaged/destroyed in the process.