The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Dano4734

Anyone use Penn Bullets

They have some good deals on 340 grain 454 Casull rounds. Has anyone used these. They look interesting. Going to make up some bear defense loads with H110. anyone use this combo. If so what is your best recipie.. Thanks again
Dan

Oh if there is a better powder to use like 2400 just let me know, I have not bought the h110. Yet

Last edited by Dano4734; December 9, 2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 01:11 AM   #2
Sevens

Penn Bullets make a truly fantastic product and the man running the show is a wealth of knowledge.

His website and ordering "system" is completely archaic and predates technology museum exhibits, and that makes it a chore to order from him.

I genuinely love his bullets and have zero complaints about them.
Old December 10, 2017, 08:11 AM   #3
Salmoneye

Quote:
His website and ordering "system" is completely archaic and predates technology museum exhibits, and that makes it a chore to order from him.
I agree, but...

When I forgot one line on that archaic form, he was on the phone confirming what I really wanted within an hour of me submitting the page...

Have bought from Penn, and will again...
Old December 10, 2017, 08:13 AM   #4
rebs

I use Penn bullets and lovem. Great bullets from a great guy
Old December 10, 2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Sevens

Last time I ordered from Penn it was an array of sizes, shapes and weights and the order got all goofed up. The bullets were top-notch, the order was messed up. If it had just been a single selection of some quantity, probably would have been fine.

I check the site every handful of months hoping to see a revelation in software, it hasn't come. My next order from him will probably be simply the great H&G68, 200gr LSWC.
Old December 10, 2017, 11:11 AM   #6
RC20

I have them in 9mm.

They are decent enough and I had no problems shooting them. You will want to shoot outside the lube smokes a bit. Zero leading. A bit erratic on the lube but they are mass production.

I did not care for dealing with him, he put out stuff on the tech end that sounded good, but when asked detailed question on seating depth got evasive and then would not answer.

Bit of an odd duck in my opinion but product quality overall is good.
Old December 10, 2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Real Gun

I use Penn for some bullet profiles I don't find elsewhere. For revolvers I have gotten bullets for 327 Magnum, 41 Magnum, and 125 and 158 gr for 38 Special and 357 Magnum Cowboy.

He lost 10 weeks of production starting in late August due to complications from heart surgery but is shipping again, getting caught up hopefully. I just received an order.

It is definitely disturbing for the ordering process to be such a black hole. There isn't even an order confirmation, so a couple times I wasn't sure what I had ordered after time passed. There is no communication when a credit card is charged. Be sure to make notes. There is no harm really, but it is unsettling compared to other online ordering experiences.
Old December 10, 2017, 06:07 PM   #8
Dano4734

I just ordered some thanks guys. Yup not a good website but it works. I will be patient. I certainly know all about heart surgery.. Been there hopefully I can cross that off my bucket list for good
Old December 10, 2017, 06:18 PM   #9
USSR

Nope, cast my own.

Don
Old December 10, 2017, 06:22 PM   #10
std7mag

Never heard of them. Will have to check them out.
Old December 11, 2017, 08:31 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Penn is my go-to for 185gn DEWC's for 44 Special. At least until they started coating them and not offering a non-coated version.

I ordered them as usual, and received coated. I called them to explain their "mistake." Turns out, they decided I wanted coated because everybody else does and they're the same price.

That didn't sit well with me.

To make matters worse, their coating (bright shiny red - looks like nail polish) is brittle and chips off easily. I don't like coated bullets. Anyway, I don't shoot a lot of 44 Special (and even less Magnum), so I haven't decided whether or not I'm dissatisfied with their coated product. I do wish they'd offer a non-coated. Perhaps if I called them. They seem like nice folks. But that's a phone call for the future. Despite my bone-picking, I like Penn Bullet Co.

What I really like about them is that they size their bullets to order - that's awesome.
Old December 11, 2017, 09:42 PM   #12
hodaka

I used them in the past but since I discovered Bayou coated bullets that is what I use. Has Penn begun selling coated bullets?

oops, just read the previous post.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:38 PM   #13
hdwhit

Quote:
Dano4734 wrote:
Anyone use Penn Bullets
Until I read your post, I had never even heard of them. Product looks good, the maker says all the right things on his website. And you are correct, it looks like it is being hosted off an Atari 800.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:33 PM   #14
Sevens

Old December 12, 2017, 07:34 PM   #15
Sevens

Atari 400.
Old January 2, 2018, 09:12 PM   #16
Dano4734

Outstanding bullets Robert, your 340 grain Casull with 26 grains of h110 and remington 7 1/2 primers amazing accuracy and punch
Next I will try 26 grains of H4227

Last edited by Dano4734; January 2, 2018 at 09:32 PM.