The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2017, 11:22 PM   #26
Troy800

Sig P239 or P225A1 are great shooters but a big shift in trigger from the 1911. Shield PErformance Center, Sig 320(voluntary trigger recall right now), glock 19 if you dont mind polimer. Walther PPQ M2 has a great trigger and grips tend to fit womens hands well.
Old November 2, 2017, 04:58 PM   #27
SauerGrapes

My EDC P239, she might like it. I have small hands.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old November 2, 2017, 05:31 PM   #28
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1911 View Post
Good Morning b.deb,

pat701 is right on target. I'm convinced that the P239 is among the world's best personal protection handguns. It's 100% reliable. A self-defense handgun that is not 100% reliable is not a self-defense handgun. For clarity, no mechanical device is 100&% reliable. The idea is to get as close to 100% reliable as possible. The P239 is such a handgun. Its weight mitigates recoil thereby allowing one to keep its muzzle pointed at a threat. Recoil should never take a muzzle off a threat.

I'm a bigger caliber and heavy bullet is better dude. Others see it differently. Hence, I'd recommend a .40 S&W. But it the end, it'll be preference.
Too small for my mitts, a P225 works better for me. Or better yet a P229.

Might work for a small handed lady though.

Why not just replace the 9mm 1911 with the same model again? Or something by Dan Wesson.
Old November 3, 2017, 12:54 PM   #29
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP:
$ 1,200 isn't going to get anyone into the "custom - or semi custom 1911" world ..../ ...but it will take you into the Colt and Springfield 1911's in 9mm...
$1,200.00 is about what I spent for my 9mm STI Trojan, after I sorted the recoil spring weight (9 lbs is light compared to the stock 14 lb. spring, but it works) and ammo (just about any 147 grain factory FMJ particularly Fed AE), this one is probably the most accurate 9mm range gun I have. I had it out to the range last weekend and I had a really great time shooting it. If I lost this one I’d have to replace it with either another Trojan, or a DW Pointman 9.
Old November 3, 2017, 09:05 PM   #30
PatientWolf

I was at Cabelas today. They had the Colt Competition model 9mm on Close-out for $699.

Might be tough to beat that.
Old November 4, 2017, 11:08 AM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A "compact size" is generally considered to be what Colt calls the Commander size, or a pistol with a full-size receiver and a 4" or 4-1/4" slide and barrel. Colt offers those in 9mm. They have the standard Combat Commander in 9mm (MSRP $949) and a Lightweight Commander in 9mm (MSRP $999).

https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Combat-Commander

https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols...ight-Commander

Springfield Armory recently introduced a version of the EMP with a 4" barrel -- but I don't think you'll find one of those with a price south of $1,000.
Old November 5, 2017, 02:06 PM   #32
AxlMyk

I think the first thing you should do is get a safe that you will actually use.
Old November 5, 2017, 05:03 PM   #33
rodfac

Gotta say that the current Ruger Commander sized 1911 in 9mm is a great choice...light weight for carry, good Novak sights, accuracy right out of the box, and recoil that's...well 9mm in strength...a true winner.

But if you've got the shekels, a Browning Hi Power is a great choice too. About 30 oz's in 9mm with a grip feel that many would say is the finest of any automatic. Not cheap...but a good one right now will run you about $800 if the prices on gun broker are any clue..but they've been discontinued...FN says the machinery is worn outl. There are clones out there, and some well used commercial ones for $400-$700 that might work for you too.

Good luck, and congrats on finding a wife that'll shoot with you....ROD
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 10, 2017, 10:29 PM   #34
rdtompki

My wife and I both shoot SA 9mm 1911 Loaded Target guns in steel challenge and here EDC is a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 9mm. We also carry 9mm SA EMP when appropriate. The SA guns have seen many 10's of thousands of rounds and have been very, very reliable. They can be readily customized, of course, but that tends to turn a $1K gun into a $2K gun. Of late it appears Springfields QC has been a bit spotty, but they are quick to remedy problems.

The Kimber had issues in it's original 38 Super caliber, but I will say Kimber was very quick to fix. It's a bit more attractive than the SAs IMO. My wife's Dan Wesson CBOB is a sweet mass produced gun. Best stock trigger and finish of our several mass produced guns. BTW, HK P2000 in 9mm is a great carry gun.
Old December 5, 2017, 08:32 PM   #35
longshank

If you're willing to spend $1,300 the CZ SDP is mighty nice. Soft shooting and best trigger I've ever pulled. Better than my two Ed Brown 1911's.
Old December 14, 2017, 01:11 AM   #36
dajowi

"I'd try talk a woman outta a revolver. I'd talk her in to a Sig P239 .40 S&W..." I encounter a lot of shooters at the range who have been talked into purchasing a handgun in 40 caliber. Many find the caliber hard to work with and don't practice enough to become proficient with their self defense weapon.
Old December 14, 2017, 05:53 PM   #37
Bilbo463

Nothing against Sig and CZ pistols in DA/SA.......but if your wife has become accustomed to a sweet single action trigger pull, I would NOT recommend something in DA/SA. There are plenty of single action pistols in your price range. Mastering the DA/SA trigger takes time and dedication...... I’ve been there.....
Old December 14, 2017, 07:14 PM   #38
osbornk

Having been married for almost 50 years, I found out long ago that you don't choose anything for the wife. You can help her research, find guns but make sure she chooses it herself without encouragement from you. If you choose or talk her into a particular gun, sooner or later it will start with "If I had gotten the one I really wanted........................".