The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Huskerguy

Wolf primers

Has anyone used the Wolf primers? I have access to some small rifle for $30/K and just wonder if they are good?
Old July 1, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Yes they are good, but their SR primers are kind of thin. You might want to use the SRM's or "223"s if they are available (you didn't say what ctg you are loading)
Old July 1, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Huskerguy

I will be loading 223. The box did say something about being small rifle magnums. The guy at the shop couldn't tell me what the magnum really did for them. I have had one person tell me they were very good and another say they were not - one was large rifle the other I was not sure.
Old July 1, 2009, 09:15 PM   #4
EmptyHull

I use them to light up my 45 Colts and they do a great job. Tim
Old July 2, 2009, 12:31 AM   #5
zxcvbob

I've used Wolf LP's in .45 Colt, SP's in 9mm and .38 Special, and SR's in .357 Magnum and .30 Carbine (for a Ruger Blackhawk.) No problems with any of them. Like I said before, the SR cups are really thin; I wouldn't trust them for high-pressure rifle ctgs, but the SRM's and .223 primers should be fine.

$30/k is kind of high, but primers are scarce right now (rumors are that they are starting to show up on the shelves again) and it beats paying $50 for CCI or Federal primers.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Randy 1911

I have used them in small and large pistol primers. They work just as well as any other brand of primer.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
PCJim

"Word on the street" - is that Wolf used to designate their rifle primers as SR and SRM. More recent production has seen the SRM now labeled as SR .223.

Every one I've used (SR.223) has gone bang...
Old July 4, 2009, 09:49 AM   #8
RickV

I have used over 5K each of the LP and SP and never had any problem. I read a post here or somewhere that basically started that in Europe competition shooting is a big time sport and if Wolf made a crappy primer they would not be able to sell them there so their QC is good.
Old July 4, 2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Lunicy

Never had one problem with wolf primers. Don't get me started with CCI.
Old July 4, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10
benek

Never had a prob
More readily avail than CCI and others
Old July 4, 2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Archie

Procrastination...

I have a box of 1000 Large Pistol Wolf primers. I haven't loaded any yet.

I need to load up a comparative set of ammo in a couple rounds - probably .45 ACP and .44 Special with standard loads and see the difference between the Wolf product and the WWLPs I have stashed from last year. I may even have some CCI LP (whatever number that is) as well.

Knowledge is power, is it not?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 5, 2009, 01:12 PM   #12
HDDeluxe

I have loaded well over 5k of the wolf primers in large and small rifle and pistol and never had a problem with any of them. Hope this helps.
Old July 5, 2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

The SRM .223 will be a heavier primer cup than the SR. That is for the same purpose as the heavier cup in the CCI #41; to discourage slam-fires in the self-loaders, like the AR.

Wolf is an importer. They buy OEM from KVB's plant in Russia, so their primers are actually KVB primers. So were the PMC Russian-made primers. If you look up references on the web to ammo tests with them, they typically produce among the lowest velocity extreme spreads. Very consistent. You can see that in this test of large primers. I've also seen (at Sniper's Hide maybe?) a posted table of .30-06 ammunition tests in which they did very well (PMC branding).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 6, 2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Alleykat

Few months back, I acquired 15k Wolf small rifle primers and 15k Wolf large pistol primers. I use the small rifle primers for both .223 and 9mm reloading. So far, no problems. I paid $90 per 5k for the primers.