The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1
ECLIPSE45ACP

horandy XTP vs. remington JHP 125 grn

What are the primary differences between these? I have heard they are similar and load data can often be shared between them. Is this true? I am going to be loading 296 in my 357 colt python 6 " bbl. I am starting with 18 grns. Anyone had any expereince with this? What is a good COL for this charge?

thanks
Old April 4, 2007, 02:29 PM   #2
ECLIPSE45ACP

anybody?
Old April 4, 2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Trapper L

I've used a bunch of the Remmys in 125. I think you may have a consideable muzzle flash with the 296 powder. It is right there with H-110 and that makes LOTS of flash- as in don't shoot it in tall grass. You probably would have better luck with something quicker like Unique. The H-110 makes lots of dirt and soot in the barrel. Powder is blown out and all over the place. But this is H-110, but it is a hair quicker than 296. Your mileage may vary.
Old April 7, 2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Daniel BOON

I use remington

I pretty much use remington pistol/rifle bullets for everything; 125 for my 38/357 loads, 150/180 cor lokt for my rifle loads. many deer/elk have dropped to rem corlokt. I haven't shot anything except paper and jack rabbits with the 125 bjhp, but they punch big holes in the rabbits, and on paper they shoot better than I can.
did I mention they are about the cheapest brand?
Old April 7, 2007, 03:33 PM   #5
HSMITH

I have shot both loads you ask about. I shoot well over 18 grains though.....

The Remington bullet is a good bullet, but not constructed tough enough for anything but varmint or coyotes. It is pretty accurate.

The XTP is a tougher bullet, and more accurate in all of my guns. It is an extremely well made bullet. It would be suitable even for smaller whitetail on broadside behind the shoulder shots. It is NOT capable of getting through much bone though at the speeds it will be running with H110 or W296.

Your OAL is going to be dictated by where the cannelure is, and I don't remember what they came out to be. Crimp in the cannelure and work up if desired from starting data.

If you want to torch off the absolute fastest 357's and that is part of what you are doing here pick up some of the Speer 110 and 125 JHP for 38. The cannelure is lower on the bullet and case capacity is increased quite a bit. H110/W296 is really fast, but Blue Dot will push them over 1600 fps from a 4" S&W.