The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Price check Remington Model 11 12Ga.?

Kinda, sorta always wanted a A5. My Dad had one many, many years ago, and I really liked it. Now, since Browning dropped the "real" ones the used market prices have gone supersonic. But I see on a website from a gun store I visit in Northern Mo. that they have a used Remington variation for $175. Looks pretty good in the pic. Pretty worn, but honest wear from use, not abuse. Does that sound like a reasonable price? In the past, like about two weeks ago I was able to get the price on a Mosberg 500 410 down a bit by using genuine, real, authentic folding green paper. So I might get this one for a little less.
Maybe like a break up with a girl friend, this might be a "rebound" purchase! I'm still bummed from a couple days ago when I saw on their page a Stevens 59a like I have been looking for the past couple years. A gun that represents my very first "all my own" shotgun of my youth almost sixty years ago. Called the next day to have them hold it for me, but it had already been sold the day it was listed! And for a very good price to boot!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 28, 2015, 04:22 PM   #2
SARuger

I gave $175 for my early model 1100 20g on the "X" frame with Cutts choke system. Its in very good condition.

Old May 28, 2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Virginian

Check completed auctions on GunBroker to see what things are actually going for. GunsAmerica and GunsInternational search engines don't work all that great. Search for a 28 gauge and see every shotgun with a 28" barrel.
Old May 28, 2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Not looking for a 1100, but the John Browning designed model 11 that is identical to the original Browning A-5.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Auto-5
Old May 29, 2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Drm50

rem 11

$175 is reasonable price. Rem 11 is real gun, about only thing that goes on
well used ones is the friction bushing. Easily obtained. You can melt one down
and make 3 m-1100s. I hunt with A-5s so m11 would be no handi- cap to me.
Some don't like the hump. Weight is not much more than 1100. Don't believe
me? Put them on a scale. Buddies make fun of my WW 1 guns, mine don't break
or jam. If you take seller down a few bucks it will be a killer deal. I like the
safety on 11 better than my old A-5s.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

BTW, I already have a 1100 Magnum. Bought it 35 years ago, never used it a whole lot, and still in almost new condition. I just have always liked those old hump backs.
Gonna give this one a good look if they still have it when I get up there next week.
Gotta stop going to my friends cabin on Thomas Hill Lake. I've been buying a gun on almost every trip. The gun shop loves it though. Either he talks me into buying something, or I talk him into buying something. Last time, a couple weeks ago, they got a threefer, My Son came up, and we all three bought something!
Old May 30, 2015, 07:51 AM   #7
DavidAGO

At 175 I would buy it. They are great shotguns. Beware, you just can't have one, when you get the first you start looking for them, for one with better finish, or nicer stock, or lower serial number, or an earlier one before they were the model 11.

David
Old May 30, 2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
At 175 I would buy it. They are great shotguns. Beware, you just can't have one, when you get the first you start looking for them, for one with better finish, or nicer stock, or lower serial number, or an earlier one before they were the model 11.
Oh Oh, sounds like the "Contender barrel addiction" or the "Mosen Nagant addiction". Maybe I better hope it's sold when I get up there next week!
Old May 31, 2015, 09:21 PM   #9
603Country

I have a Model 11 that was made in 1947 or 48 (I forget). It has the solid rib. Bought it at a pawn shop in Houston in the early 1980's. Paid 250 for it and it has been a good buy. Took it to Briley Manufacturing and had their choke installed. Kicks like a mule. Wouldn't sell it for anything.
Old June 9, 2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Bill Akins

Over time I've acquired three Rem model 11 shotguns and it's my favorite shotgun. Strong and sturdy and the extra weight of the steel receiver (vs a lighter alloy receiver on other shotguns) doesn't bother me. I've never paid more than $200.00 each for any of them. In fact I remember one cost me $140.00 and although I can't remember the exact price I paid for the other two, I do know it wasn't over $200.00 each. Two of my model 11's are full choke and one (the $140.00 one which is my favorite) came with the old Cutts compensator on it with three choke attachments. I usually keep the spreader (blunderbuss) choke on it and keep it handy behind the door of my bedroom for home defense. I really like the way that Cutts comp cuts down the recoil.

Two of them are pre 1927, as evidenced by the in the trigger guard safety (kinda Garand style) and one is from the 1940's with the later button safety. Personally I prefer the earlier in the trigger guard safety. My one from the 1940's was originally a "Sportsman" model. The Sportsman model was made to only chamber 3 shells and had a different loading tube, fore end and the fore end/loading tube cap was actually a bolt, which all are different from the standard model 11's. I acquired a regular model 11 fore end, loading tube and spring and loading tube cap, and installed them on my Sportsman making it higher capacity like the regular model 11's. Now the only thing that gives it away as originally being a Sportsman, is the engraving on the receiver and bolt. Otherwise, it's exactly like a regular 5 shell model 11 now.

I also like my two Winchester model 50's. One is a modified choke and one is an adjustable choke, both made in the mid 1950's and both have steel receivers (some were made with lighter alloy receivers). Also got both of them for less than $200.00 each.

Here's a few pics of my Remy model 11's and my Win model 50's. Top and third down are pre 1927 in the trigger guard Garand style safeties and 2nd from top is my converted 1940's Sportsman with the button safety. The Ishapore Enfield front sight bayo lug and 1907 Brit Bayo I placed next to the barrel of one. I was just messing around and checking to see how a bayonet might fit onto a model 11. But that one won't work because even if I modified the bayo lug by cutting off the sight ears and just using the bottom portion, it still has the front lug and the bayonet too high to clear the muzzle. Jus playing around since I had the old bayo laying around (3 of them) and the Ishapore front sight/bayo lug. Might look into another kind of way to mount it maybe. Maybe not. Still haven't got around to buying a Rem 870 extended loading tube that will fit the model 11 and give me greater shell capacity. Want to do that.

(Anyone know why when I use [IMG] it doesn't show up as a pic in the body of the post anymore but just shows up as a link? Used to show up as a image. Did something change here that prevents images from showing up anymore?)

Later edit: Strangely, the problem I was having of my images showing up only as links, seems to have corrected itself since I saw that as of today, the images suddenly appeared. Must have been a temporary bug.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 12, 2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old June 10, 2015, 10:46 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

I picked up the Model 11. 30", full choke. It had some spots of surface rust, and the bore was iffy at first look, but I did get it for $150 OTD. The rust was not really deep, and a little light buffing with 0000 steel wool cleaned it up nicely. The bore cleaned up to a bright mirror finish as well. The wood looks very good. No cracks, or serious gauges. From what I have read it was made sometime between 1905, and 1910 because it has the slide safety switch inside the trigger guard. So it isn't a Model 11, but rather a Remington Automatic Shotgun.
The only problem I have found is it appears the lifter spring is broken. The lifter just loosely flips up and down with nothing pressing it to the lower position.
I'll try to get a few pics up soon, and a report on how it shoots after I replace the spring.
Old June 11, 2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Well, a bit of correction due to internet misinformation. It is marked Model 11 on the barrel. So the theory of ones made before the change in the safety supposedly in 1910 were marked with the model number.
So was the information I found about the slide safety inside the trigger guard being changed in 1910 also wrong?
However old it is, whenever it was made, I still enjoy thinking about how many rabbits, squirrels, and birds were collected with this old shotgun!
Old June 11, 2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Bill Akins

At $150.00 out the door, you got a good deal on your model 11 Cheapshooter. Now you just have to fix that floppy shell lifter. Look on e bay for the part and sometimes on Gunbroker. Check out the exploded drawing in my link at the bottom of this post to see what it looks like. You might try Numrich or Sarco for it too if unavailable on Gunbroker or ebay.

To answer your question about when the in the trigger guard safety was changed to a button safety, from what I've learned, the in the trigger guard (kinda Garand style) safety was changed to the button safety in 1927. I've got two of the earlier in the trigger guard safety ones and one converted "Sportsman" model from the 1940's with the button safety.

People also need to know that the 3 shot "Sportsman" model used a different wooden fore end, different wooden fore end retainer bolt (not the normal cap) and different loading tube and spring than the regular 5 shot model 11 used. The Sportsman can be converted to be just like a regular 5 shot model 11 by simply removing those parts and re-installing model 11 parts to allow for 5 shells (I did it on a Sportsman of mine), but a lot of people don't realize that there is a difference when buying them and then are disappointed when they realize their Sportsman model only holds 3 shells. Of note is the fact that it isn't real easy to find the model 11 loading tube separately. I got lucky and found a fellow who had both the regular model 11 loading tube and wooden fore end. I had to buy the regular longer spring and fore end cap off e bay. So be careful shooters to make sure if you want a 5 shot model 11 to not accidentally buy the model 11 "Sportsman" model that only holds 3 shells instead of the normal five....unless you get a smokin deal on one that makes it worth the cost and hassle of conversion or unless you only shoot skeet with it and WANT a 3 shot only one. Also of note, I HAVE seen "Sportsman" models on Gunbroker occasionally that already have been converted.

Look carefully at the front end of the wooden fore end on the "Sportsman" model. If it is square on its front end and uses a standard screw on cap, then it probably has been converted to be like a regular 5 shot model 11. If its wooden fore end is more "Beaver tailed" tapered at the front and uses the knurled end bolt head that isn't as thick as a regular screw on cap, then it is an unconverted "Sportsman" model and is a 3 shot only.

For a complete explanation of this in text with pics showing my converting my Sportsman model to the normal model 11 configuration, see my thread here at this link.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532861

I also found out that by putting a spacer under the loading tube cap, and allowing my loading tube's spring retainer plug to extend out about 1/4 of an inch by using that spacer under the cap, that I could get five high wall brass 00 buck shells into the tube instead of the usual four. With one chambered, that makes six shells capacity. There was no problem previously with loading five low wall brass bird shot shells, but the high wall brass 00 buck shells are just a little bit longer than the low wall brass shells and wouldn't allow me to load five by lacking about 1/4 inch of loading space that I didn't have. By putting that 1/4 inch spacer under the cap it allows me to load five of the slightly longer 00 buck high wall brass shells too.
Text and pics of how I did that at this link.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534150

Just won this fancy inlaid wood Remy model 11 buttstock off Proxibid a few days ago for $47.00 including shipping. Will arrive soon. I've never seen a fancy one like this for the model 11. Ain't it pretty? Not sure but I think it's Maple. Strange though that the grip was only checkered on the right side. Now if I can just find a fancy fore end somewhere that at least somewhat matches it.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 11, 2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 11, 2015, 10:53 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Thanks for the info Bill. That is really a fancy looking stock there! Looking forward to seeing your finished project.
Is it your opinion that my assumption of a broken carrier spring is the cause of the carrier not returning to it's down position?
Numeric does list them as available, and I've also seen them offered by Wolff Gunsprings.
Is there any other potential cause of the carrier problem. I haven't had time to take it apart to look for broken parts.
Old June 11, 2015, 11:36 PM   #15
Bill Akins

Quote:
Cheapshooter wrote:

Thanks for the info Bill. That is really a fancy looking stock there! Looking forward to seeing your finished project.
Is it your opinion that my assumption of a broken carrier spring is the cause of the carrier not returning to it's down position?
Numeric does list them as available, and I've also seen them offered by Wolff Gunsprings.
Is there any other potential cause of the carrier problem. I haven't had time to take it apart to look for broken parts.
To (try) to answer your question Cheapshooter, I first must say that I have never had to disassemble the Carrier (shell lifter) nor any of its related parts on any of my Remington model 11's. I would refer to you what I do when I'm in doubt about how parts interact....and that is to go to YouTube and type in something like "Disassembly of Remington model 11 Carrier" or "shell lifter" or something to that effect. I do know there are a lot of people who have replaced their model 11 carrier/shell lifter with two piece Browning auto five carrier/shell lifters so they no longer have to depress the button to allow them to lift the Remy shell lifter for loading, so there must be some videos on disassembly of the Remy shell lifter to replace it with the Browning lifter. You might try either of those on YouTube and see if the video shows whether the Remy shell lifter is actuated by leverage caused by the bolt going to the rear, or whether the Remy shell lifter is actuated by a spring or a combination of leverage and a spring. I can't tell exactly how it operates simply by looking at the exploded drawing and without my ever working on that specific part, I simply don't know.

However, after hearing of your floppy lifter, I took a look at the exploded drawing and saw there is both a Carrier spring (part #25), a Carrier dog spring (part #66), a Carrier dog pin (part #65) a Carrier dog spring follower (part #67) and a Carrier dog (part #68).

To fix the problem you are going to have to disassemble the carrier (shell lifter) anyway. You need to inspect and see if you are missing any of those parts or if any of them are broken or dislodged from their proper positions. Refer to the exploded drawing for the interacting parts.

First thing I would do is view some YouTube videos and become familiar with all the interacting parts of the Carrier (shell lifter) and how it operates. And then start your disassembly and ascertain if all your parts are there as in the video and exploded drawing and if any of them are broken, missing or dislodged from their proper positions. That's how I think you will isolate what the problem is.

Hope this helps you. Sorry I can't specifically tell you what I think it is, but since I've never had to disassemble that particular portion of my model 11's, that's the best advice I can give you and is what I would do.

Here's that exploded drawing again showing you the parts.

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 11, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old June 12, 2015, 01:25 AM   #16
Cheapshooter

I have a couple youtube videos bookmarked

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jkiGWd6ot84
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPY84sR1wY

These should help a great deal. We are supposed to have some rainy weather here for the next several days. That might give me a break from outside projects long enough to take it apart. I already need some parts foe another gun from my youth that I found. Numeric has them as well, so I will be putting in an order when I am more sure what I need.

As an aside, I wonder if it is common to try replacing long gone guns of one's youth. Or is it just me?
So far I have found a Winchester 97 12 gauge. An example of my Dad's old '97, the first shotgun I ever hunted with as a young boy almost 60 years ago. The other gun I am getting working properly, and example of the first shotgun I could call all my own. A Stevens 59A bolt 410. Last year I found what was my next shotgun. A Stevens Model 311 16 gauge double. Now the Remington. Not exactly what my Dad traded his '97 for, but close. He had a Browning, but it was the Model with the safety in the trigger.
Fortunately, my Grandad's High Standard HD Military, and Winchester 74 have never left my possession!
Coincidentally, looking at the webpage of the shop where I found the Remington, they added a Winchester Model 50. The gun my Dad traded the Browning for, and at one point gave to me. Wouldn't you know? But the shop is 175 miles away, and I'm not going up there until late next month. Oh well, although I'd like to have it, it's not as important to me as the ones I already found. What will be will be!
Old June 21, 2015, 11:33 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

OK, got the spring the other day. Disassembled the Model 11, and low and behold, no sign of a carrier spring. I installed the new one as per the video, and sure enough it pushed the carrier down just like it should. Until I worked the action! Seems this speing is a tiny bit short. When the carrier moves up to lift a shell, or you push it up to load a round, the spring slips off the carrier.
I did find one at Midway made by Wolff Springs that in the picture at least, looks to have a bit longer finger with an extra little bend in it. Hope that one works.
Old July 16, 2015, 04:50 PM   #18
Bill Akins

Cheapshooter, did you get your carrier working correctly?

You said it appeared the carrier spring was too short. I wonder if you are missing a follower or spring plunger that could cause the spring to be too short.

I remember the exploded drawing listed these parts: "Carrier spring (part #25), a Carrier dog spring (part #66), a Carrier dog pin (part #65) a Carrier dog spring follower (part #67) and a Carrier dog (part #68).

Is it possible you bought the right spring but because you didn't get a "dog" or "spring follower" and that might be why it appears your spring is too short?