The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 27, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Vermonter

Lyman Deer Stalker

I was given a Lyman Deer Stalker with fiber-optic sights on it as a gift many years ago. When reorganizing hunting gear I recently stumbled across it. In the box plastic packaging and all. I am torn between attempting to sell it and getting it set up to hunt with. I seem to find that no one will buy a Lyman and therefore have decided to try to get setup for muzzle-loader deer season for the first time.

This thing has never been fired and frankly I have zero idea of where to start. I have seen the "black powder starter kits" however I wander if I really need all that to just start hunting.

I am an experienced shooter and hunter with center fire, rim fire, and a bow so I feel like I should know this. I feel like I am smarter to ask before I buy the wrong powder and blow my family away by being stubborn so I am asking the experts here.
Thanks, Vermonter
Old October 27, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Pahoo

I believe yours is a blued model as oppose to the new SS. Also might be made by Investment Arms. Look for a large [I]. If you do a search in this section, you will see many posts on how to get started. If you contact Lyman, they will send you a basic loading manual. Lyman also sells a manual by Sam Fadal that would be of great assist. Basically working to develope a Shot-String. Propellant-Projectile-Primer. Lots of choices here. Suggest you start out with Patched Roundball, #11 primer and put in some range-time in order to get use to working with your sidelock. I might add that I also have one of these, in SS. Later you can start developing your Hunting shot string. Lots of choices here. .. .. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old October 27, 2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Vermonter

Pahoo

I am not sure if that was English or I am just stupid? I'd go with the latter to be safe. Again forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by a shot string. Maybe I should go look for muzzle-loader for dummies or something.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Pahoo

Vermonter
You are not stupid but sometimes I do take too much for granted. Shot-String invovles the basic/major components to what you are shooting. Aslo helps to define the loading steps. All else is in support of that shotstring. For example, your shot-string cold be:

M/L = SideLock Percussion. .50 Cal.
Propellant = 50-100grns. of FFFG - Main Charge, Pyrodex
Projectile = Patched Round Ball (PRB) - .490 pure lead
Primer = #11, ignition source.

Sorry about that and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 27, 2010, 03:34 PM   #5
mykeal

My shot string would include data on the patch itself, such as 0.018" pillow ticking lubed with dried 6:1 Ballistol/water. The primer designation needs the brand name of the cap as the #11 size callout is meaningless without it. Also, some folks would include the type of round ball (cast or swaged), although I personally don't do that.
Old October 27, 2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Vermonter

Ok i'm starting to get it

basically your shot string is your recipie. Fair enough. So what you are saying is I should find those basic components and tinker with which ones fire well from my ML sort of how you would expirment with different loads in your centerfire until you find the most reliable...
Old October 27, 2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Pahoo

By golly, you are starting to get it and it's really not all that hard. Developing and using a good shot-string, is worth it's time and investment. It all came together on evening, for me when I took a ten-pointer at 150YDS. with 95grns. of loose powder. Won't list the powder as it would extend this post life too long. ...

Welcome to the club and hoping you will get hooked. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; October 27, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:03 PM   #8
7MMGUY

I started muzzle loader hunting years ago with a Lyman Deerstalker. Using a 370 grain TC conical bullet it flattened deer like an elephant gun and was fairly accurate, six inch groups at 75yds with iron sights. When inlines hit the market I started using one but still have the Lyman.