The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Ed_

Primer catcher on Lee Turrent Press

I am using a Lee 4 hole turrent press

Has anyone came up with a easy way to catch the spent primers while depriming? Some end up on the bench and some on the floor.
I could care less but my wife wants to know lol

Ed
Old May 3, 2009, 08:04 AM   #2
rwilson452

I presume your talking about the old style turret. The new Classic turret press has a hollow ram that feeds the spent primers into a tube at the bottom of the ram. For it to work properly you need to leave the primer lever in place.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Ed_

I just bought it but apparently it is not the new style. My single stage came with a tube a deflector plate. The turret press just shoots em out the right side onto the table or floor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2235.jpg (109.9 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Ed_; May 3, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:40 AM   #4
baileyboy

primer catcher

I had the same problem which I solved by removing the press from the counter top and drilling holes in the counter below the hollow opg's. I then installed a plastic container below to catch the primers and it works great. The primer installer must remain installed because this deflects the primers thru the hole. OR they go all over. bb
Old May 3, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Russ5924

Solved my problem by doing all the primers by hand. I just decap after cleaning and use the Lee hand primer. Took all the stuff off my Lee Turret press and my Dillon 550. Amazing how much cleaner everything stays
Old May 3, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Ed_

BailyBoy you must have also had to make some kind of deflector.
My primers shoot out to the right.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:26 PM   #7
baileyboy

Ed, The primer lever connects to the ram post via a horizontal pin, located in the groove of the ram. The primer lever can be lifted out of the ram, but for decapping I leave it in. The old primers hit the primer lever, as they fall and are directed to the right rear of the base of the unit. They fall into one of the opg's in the base, thru the hole in the counter top and into the plastic cup. A stray may occasionally bounce out, but not often. bb
Old May 3, 2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Ed_

I see i will drill a hole below the right hand side thing and put a cup underneath.