The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

What calibre is it?

Last night I watched a movie on a certain online film library starring Mr Pitt called Killing Them Softly. In it he plays an underworld enforcer.

In one somewhat disturbing scene we see him execute someone in a slow-mo/close-up graphic drive-by shooting: Mr Liotta (Playing some crook who'd fallen foul of the powers that be).

Anyway, part of that scene that wasn't gory was a close-up of the pistol cycling and ejecting cases. The cases were bottle-necked and I was wondering what it was.

If anyone has seen the film can you confirm if it is indeed 357 Sig?
Only curiosity; nothing else....
Old January 21, 2018, 07:35 AM   #2
Salmoneye

It's a 9MM Browning Hi-Power firing blanks...

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Killing_Them_Softly
Old January 21, 2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Hmmm...so much for my case i.d....

In my defence I did think the cases were too long to be .357 Sig, but couldn't think of any other contender.

Blanks... pretty obvious now, although in some shots you can actually see the bullet leave the barrel. These were no doubt shot in a controlled environment.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:08 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...if it is...you can actually see the bullet leave the barrel..." It's a Hollywood prop that has nothing whatever to do with reality. You can only see the bullet exit the barrel in movies.
However, Salmoneye's picture of the flying cartridge is a 9mm blank. A live SIG's neck is far shorter.
Old January 21, 2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
It's a Hollywood prop that has nothing whatever to do with reality.
It's not hard to obtain footage of a bullet leaving a barrel....
Old January 23, 2018, 06:19 PM   #6
pelo801

I thought the cases looked like 5.7 but that the gun did not.
Old January 25, 2018, 11:10 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

It appears to be a simunition round or something like that, not a standard 9mm blank. Of course the gun may have been altered as well (and probably was) to operate with anything other than live ammo.

BTW, yes, I know that it is entirely possible to kill someone with a gun firing a blank cartridge; it was reportedly done by the KGB, but I have never heard of gangsters doing it.

Jim
Old January 26, 2018, 08:06 AM   #8
Salmoneye

Looks just like 9mm PRVI blanks to me...

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-blan...izan-50-rounds
Old January 26, 2018, 06:36 PM   #9
gwpercle

Blanks loaded into a real gun can kill. My friends' teenage son thought he would play a practical joke on his buddies buy loading a revolver with a blank and play Russian Roulette with it .... on the third time it fired and he died...I went to the boys funeral.
No third hand story ....He died and I saw them bury the boy. Very sad.
The kid was no KGB agent or gangster...just a kid who's father hadn't taught him gun safety. My friend doesn't shoot , owns no guns and had never taught his children about the dangers...ignorance of things will get you killed.
Do Not Play with blanks, enough material comes out the barrel at point blank range to kill.

If you have children....teach them about guns, gun safety and proper gun handling....
It may save their life someday. Like I said ...this is a true story, I lived through the anguish and pain of my friends loss.
Gary
Old January 27, 2018, 10:56 PM   #10
1MoreFord

The actor Jon-Erik Hexum killed himself with a blank. Gotta have some sense. Was the end of a promising career.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382149/