The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 19, 2018, 06:21 PM   #1
dyl

QD scope rings on AR?

Hi guys, I know this *could* potentially go in the accessories section but this is an AR specific question.

I'm thinking of mounting a scope I have - burris fullfied e1 2-7x32? (not sure about diameter of bell) on a 16 " budget AR in 556. The only scope rings I have are too low since they were for hunting on a shotgun and muzzle loader.

Now when I look at QD bases or rings, the only popular option that I see for AR's that return to zero are the LaRue base but it's WAY expensive.

Is there a reason people aren't using Warne Maxima QD rings? They are 2 individual rings, can come in low, medium or tall heights, but there is a guarantee that they will return to zero after detaching. Am I missing something? They're steel and only $70 or so.
Old February 19, 2018, 06:32 PM   #2
marine6680

It is hard to use rings on an AR...

It is possible on an AR10, with the longer receiver.

The best option for a scope on an AR is a cantilevered base.

Also... There is no such thing as a true return to zero mount... There is only return very close to zero. And they cost a pretty penny. If you want a real return to zero, or at least as close as possible, you would need a setup where the parts are made specifically to work together as a unit, like some custom bolt gun build, with custom scope bases.

As far as QD options, if you are on a budget, for just under $100 you can get a Burris PEPR QD mount. It works well enough for most people, and if you are careful and meticulous when installing it, the same every time, it should return close enough to zero that you would only need a few rounds to tweak it.

Another option is Midwest Industries, or American Defense Manufacturing... They make several mounts for many different uses. The models aimed at ARs and standard scopes run around $150.

Larue mounts are nice, I own one for my Trijicons MRO, but I feel the latch mechanism is a bit bulky, in that it sticks out a good bit... Some say it can damage your rail, when you rotate the lever, but a small dab of grease beforehand, cures that.
Old February 19, 2018, 06:49 PM   #3
AK103K

ARMS makes lever "rings" that are repeatable. They arent overly expensive either. I had a set on my SOCOM with a Leupold Scout scope on them, and they repeated.

Ive been using an ARMS #35 QD throw lever mount on my one AR for about 20 years now. Has always worked well, and is repeatable as well.

I also have ARMS, LaRue, and GG&G lever mounts for my Aimpoints, and they all work well too.

All of mine have been pretty much right on every time I R&R'd them.
Old February 19, 2018, 07:25 PM   #4
imashooter

I'd consider a cantilever mount (QD type if desired) in your price range.
Old February 19, 2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Have you looked at the Burris PEPR mount? It is a quick-release cantilevered mount designed for ARs and it will return to zero well enough that you'll have to be a very good shooter to notice any problems. Quite a bit cheaper than the Larue also.
Old February 19, 2018, 10:08 PM   #6
ed308

I've tried a lot of mounts through the years. LaRue's LT104 has been my favorite for many years. It's expensive but so easy to use, returns to zero and you can quickly move a scope to another rifle. IMO, they are the gold standard for QD AR mounts and worth the extra money. My second choice is American Defense Recon SL. Also a good mount but slightly less expensive.

I don't recommend the Burris Perf. The levers are hard to work IMO. They take a lot more force to lock to the rail. I've got 4 to 5 of them and will switch them out eventually for a LaRue.
Old February 19, 2018, 10:59 PM   #7
dyl

Thanks for the response guys.

I *had* seen mention of the Burris PEPR on a site that acted as a guide to newcomers to the AR15, however the review on the list of recommendations seemed to make a big deal of how the PEPR does not return to zero. So I kind of threw it out the window. But after reading a review, off by 1/2 MOA isn't a deal killer since this is for recreational purposes.

I'll be checking out each of your suggestions thank you.

My goal is:

I've got 1 budget AR built, and a more precision build underway. Aside from a red dot or irons, I'll need some way to facilitate finding their favorite ammo and the limits of the barrel (the Ballistic Advantage barrel will have a sub MOA guarantee), and I'll need some kind of scope for that. I'm trying to use the scopes I have. I'm guessing the scope will stay mostly on the precision build when not in use for testing on other rifles.
Old February 20, 2018, 01:26 AM   #8
marine6680

For a build that is precision based, and the scope will not come off very often or ever...

A cantilever base, without QD is the best bet. A bit cheaper to boot.

You can spend a lot of coin on a very nice mount... But unless you are shooting at 1000+ yards, there isn't much need for a mount that costs more than $150 give or take a bit.
Old February 20, 2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Scoits

I use the Burris[s] and like the mount. Bought them with the pic’s on the top of the rings and use a fastfire 3 on one.
Old February 20, 2018, 08:54 AM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

I use Larue mounts myself; but if you want a good practical alternative and you are worried about return to zero on the PEPR, look at something with thumbscrews like the Rock River Hi-Rise mount.

Mount your scope. Zero it on the rifle. Now, make witness marks across the thumbscrews (just a painted line from screw to base). Next time you remove and replace the base, tighten the thumbscrews until they are tight and the witness marks line up. That’s a suprisingly effective way to get a decent return to zero without quick-release levers. Used to be very popular for ACOGs with the TA51 thumbscrew mount.
Old February 20, 2018, 10:57 AM   #11
TheDevilThatYouKnow

I use a Burris PEPR with a Burris 1-4x24mm MTAC; a half MOA off after reattaching isn't a big deal to me and the only scenario I anticipate using the detachable feature is because the scope went tit's up and I need to go to irons.
Old February 21, 2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Erno86

I have a Wilson Combat Accu-Riser QD scope mount, on one of my AR's...that I like.

--- George Orwell
Old February 22, 2018, 10:32 PM   #13
Chainsaw.

Aero is my choice. Will be the right height on you AR, nice mount for a decent price. And from a great company.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...nt=953-000-003
Old February 23, 2018, 02:29 AM   #14
marine6680

The Aero is not QD...

Its also not very rugged. It works and is lightweight, but can't take much of a beating from the reports I have read.

If you are building a lightweight rifle for competition of fun... Its a good mount to go with though.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:59 AM   #15
Mobuck

I don't anticipate needing to QD the optic on my rifle. If I do, the scope went POOP and needs to be out of the way. My "fight my way home" rifle has a 1-4x scope mounted and a pre-zeroed folding rear sight stuffed in the trapdoor of the buttstock along with a little modified wrench to remove the scope.
Old February 23, 2018, 09:41 AM   #16
marine6680

Yeah, not everyone needs or wants QD, but the OP asked about it specifically.
Old February 23, 2018, 01:10 PM   #17
Rembrandt

Quick detach principal has been around for decades. European gun makers devised claw mounts for hunting rifles. The late Leonard Brownell pioneered the lever style release rings. These were popularized by the first generation Kimber company for their hunting rifles. When Kimber went out of business, Warne offered a cheaper version in aluminum. The premier maker of steel quick detach rings today is Dave Talley. Warne and Talley make them in various heights to accommodate large scope diameters.

https://warnescopemounts.com/

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/
Old February 24, 2018, 06:35 AM   #18
bamaranger

Leupold QRL

I don't know about working on an AR platform, but I've used a pair of Leupold
Quick Release Lever rings on a Savage Scout and Leupold IER scope for a number of years, and have shot the combo in more than one instance swapping the rings/scope on and off to see what the point of impact would do.

The rifle would come back to a usable zero, but not absolute perfect. By usable, I'd say about 1 MOA of original impact point. I would not hesitate to shoot at deer size game at typical woods ranges, say max out to 200 yds, after such a scope swap on my rifle and set up.

Only drawback is the Leupold levers are pretty darn big and clunky.
Old February 27, 2018, 09:11 PM   #19
dyl

Thanks folks, went with a Burris PEPR for now. Operation may not be as smooth as some higher end ones but for now they'll do until I have a setup that a scope will live permanently on. Had a pretty frustrating first day with my first AR-15 but it's kind of funny and after I figured out the problem it's reassuring that sometimes it IS the equipment and not the shooter. (Here's a hint, I'm waiting for a Wheeler torque wrench to adequately torque the rings) I'll probably write a separate post about that. I will say that if I ever do get a scope worth more than 300 or so, I could justify nicer mounts.