The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 3, 2018, 11:09 AM   #26
taylorce1

Drae, what are your laws on magazine capacity? AR magazines usually come in 5, 10, 20, 30, & 30+ rounds. I've never seen any come in a odd number like 7, that doesn't mean they're not out there just that I haven't seen them.

California has some of the strictest restrictions on AR ownership in the United States, so you might want to Google search on AR compliant parts for there. I'm guessing you'll find a bunch of stuff you're looking for, I'm not sure any of them can be exported to Western Poland though. However, if you have access to 3D printing and CNC machines then you might be able to fabricate something similar to your liking.
Old February 3, 2018, 12:19 PM   #27
Drae

Well, thankfully i'm nowhere near California. Importing stuff from US... you know how expensive would that be?
I'm not sure about if there are any restrictions for magazine capacity here... i mean a bigger magazine doesn't make your weapon more deadly, so why there would be? As for why 7 for the capacity, better question is why not? 5 is a small number, 10 starts getting 'long', and i don't want to put a huge mag in a weapon that's not even semi-auto. Where's the point?
Old February 3, 2018, 12:23 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

If you are limited to say, 7 rounds by some law, rule or regulation, what is usually done is use a smaller mag (5rnd) and forget the rest, just reload more often!

OR use a larger magazine and don't put more rounds in the gun than allowed.

HOWEVER, you need to know how the law is written and enforced. Most of the time, the law is written with a limit on how many rounds CAN be put in the magazine, not how many (fewer) that you do put in it.

Basically what this means is the magazine must be physically blocked from accepting more than the legal limit. Example, a 10, 20, 30 rnd mag would need the follower blocked from taking more than the 7 rnds that is the limit,

There are a couple ways to do this, and again you need to see what satisfies your local law. The law may just say "limted to 7 rnds) or something like that, or it may say something like "permanently blocked" and, you need to know if "permanent" in the language of the law means "cannot be undone, ever" or if means "cannot be changed without disassembly and tool use" or something like that.

Good Luck
Old February 3, 2018, 12:39 PM   #29
Drae

...i still don't get some dumb gun laws. But hey maybe i'll never understand them. Anyway, i'd like seven rounds because that's enough capacity for me, i think it's okay? No need for more.
Also you think taking a ten mag, then cutting it at a specific spot and putting a metal plate down there would do the trick? I remember when one day one had to do this with nerf magazines to get odd capacities, but this is real steel and i think there's more stress put on the follower and such. The AK 90 round ultra-mags fall apart when firing, there's videos of that.
Old February 3, 2018, 01:03 PM   #30
10-96

Drae, by any chance, is anybody importing or producing anything like this into your area? https://gibbzarms.com/product/g4-enl...pper-receiver/

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 3, 2018, 01:04 PM   #31
HiBC

Follow your bliss! I respect your ideas. I just want to suggest another rifle to look at.If you want a .223, CZ makes some delightful,quality,accurate small action conventional turnbolt rifles.10 shots. You can have walnut and blue steel.
Its not a straight pull,but they may be something you can acquire and start shooting.
Old February 3, 2018, 01:33 PM   #32
Drae

@10-96 This, kind sire, is wonderfulawesometastic. Buuuut *argh american pricing*. 836 zlotys, that's a little under third of my monthly pay. That's why i prefer to modify cheap stuff instead of buying new and cool.
@HiBC i think you're the most posting person i've seen here. The CZ rifles are awesome, buuut... i want my straight pull >-<

I think i'll go for a dang homemade if i'll have to (see my other topic).
Old February 3, 2018, 01:48 PM   #33
T. O'Heir

"...import firearm components from the U.S..." It's the exporting part that's the trouble. AR parts are restricted for export by ITAR.
"...manually operated as a straight pull action, look at the..." FAL.
I'd be thinking that Italian SPAR would be a whole lot less fuss.
Old February 3, 2018, 02:02 PM   #34
taylorce1

Are Blaser rifles available in Poland? Their R8 is a modern straight pull action, it also allows you to change barrels and cartridges fairly easy. However, it's a very expensive rifle to own.
Old February 3, 2018, 02:05 PM   #35
Drae

They're amazing... but i'd have to save up a few years ;-;