The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 25, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1
FYN409

Magazine Recommendation

Looking for a for a good handgun/rifle magazine. Something more toward home defense/self defense/concealed carry less toward hunting? Anyone have a good recommendations?

-Ryan
Old January 26, 2012, 12:28 AM   #2
BarryLee

Membership in the NRA includes a subscription to The American Rifleman which seems like a pretty good general firearms magazine.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 26, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

Hang on, typically there'll be 20 or so people along shortly to tell you none of the magazines are worth reading anymore.
Denis
Old January 27, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
bumnote

Subscribe to most any of the major mags for a year, hang onto them, and you'll be covered for several and won't have to renew for several years because they're basically just rehashing the same stuff over and over...along with glowing, never negative reviews. American Rifleman has more articles that I'm interested in over all the others. If you're new to guns G&A and others like it are great...for awhile. After that newness passes, I get bored with articles mainly about the latest and great new products I'm never going to buy. Once in while I may pick up a single issue because of an article, but that's about it and I've found forums to be the best place to get honest reviews of new stuff.
Precision Shooting is the only one I've kept renewing, but it's about long range rifles, that gear and reloading so it wouldn't be of any interest to you.

$50 can probably get you a year sub. to 3-4 mags if you look for their special rates, get 'em read 'em for a year and weed out what you like and don't like. Most of the major mags have special rates that hover in the $10-15 a year rate, which makes giving them a test drive painless.

Last edited by bumnote; January 27, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
kdrf636

Quote:
"...G&A and others like it are great...for awhile. After that newness passes, I get bored with articles mainly about the latest and great new products I'm never going to buy. Once in while I may pick up a single issue because of an article, but that's about it and I've found forums to be the best place to get honest reviews of new stuff."
So much this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ best answer ever!!!!
Old January 31, 2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Scharfschuetzer

I enjoy two sister publications, "Rifle" and "Handloader."

I used to subscribe them, but now I preview each issue to see if it has articles that interest me. Of course when comparing over the counter prices of four or five tomes a year to an annual subscription it would probably be just as well to re-subscribe.

I would also recommend joining the NRA, not only to help the pro-gun movement, but also for the "American Rifleman" magazine.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old January 31, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7
BPowderkeg

WHAT ????

there is only one.., and that is SWAT !!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old January 31, 2012, 11:12 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Good printed gun magazines....

I've bought & read many gun related publications over the years(since the mid 1980s).
Some gun press writers & magazines are better than others. Harris Publications has a few good ones; Combat Handguns, Guns & Weapons For Law Enforcement. SWAT, Handguns and American Handgunner have interesting content & photos.
Some magazines do repeat topics & get repetitive, .
Good gun press writers to read include Leroy Thompson, Massad Ayoob and Dave Spaulding.

CF
Old January 31, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Yung.gunr

I have purchased a couple at the store over the years, nothing has ever held my interest for long. I think that's why I like the forum more. On here we get guys who have tried stuff at their own expense instead of the manufacturers sending them free stuff (take that for what it's worth).

I think between TFL and YouTube my interests and time are covered...
Old January 31, 2012, 07:39 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

Yung,
Just out of curiosity, how far do you think one guy could get in reviewing an average of 30 guns & 50 or so other products annually, at his own expense?
This "free stuff" is the only thing that makes a professional writing career possible.
Denis
Old February 2, 2012, 05:42 PM   #11
g.willikers

Free to read online or to download:

American Handgunner
American Cop
Guns
Shooting Industry

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/digital-editions/
Old February 2, 2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Concealed Carry