The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Peaches2

Loading shells

Ok folks,

I'm new here. I need some information. Reciently i was given an old Forehand 16 ga. with a Damascus barrel. I usually hang out on another site dedicated to 16's. I asked my friends if a Damascus barrel was safe and of course was told to have the gun checked out by my Gunsmith.

When the subject of reloading for the old gun came up..... now don't laugh at me...... i was told to use light loads, preferably black powder and to use split peas or Cherrios for shot. I don't know if my buddies are pulling my leg or not

What's the story here?

Thanks for your input.

Peaches2
Old September 29, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Doyle

Black powder - yes, split peas or cherrios - no. Although, I have heard of war reenactors using flour in their guns to get more of a visual effect during the war game reenactment.
Old September 29, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Peaches2

reloading

So they're pulling my leg?????
Old September 29, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
FlyFish

Quote:
So they're pulling my leg?????
Both of 'em, I'd say.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Clifford L. Hughes

Peaches2:

Damascus barrels should not be shot under any conditions. It's impossible to assesses any rust that has weakened the weld seams.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old September 29, 2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Clifford L. Hughes

Peaches2:

Damascus barrels shouldn't be shot because it is impossible to besure that there is no rust or other weaking elements it the weld seams.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC retired
Old September 29, 2011, 01:49 PM   #7
PawPaw

I concur with Mr. Hughes. I wouldn't shoot a Damascus barrel under any circumstances. Those old barrels were welded from strips of steel. Sometimes they were welded around a mandrel, other times they were free-welded then straightened.

I had a buddy who, back in the early '60s was shooting light field loads in a Damascus barrel. Every time he touched it off, you could see smoke coming sideways out of the barrel at three or four different locations. That old barrel was so full of holes that I don't know how it held together. We all told him what we were seeing and he finally retired that old gun. It's a miracle someone wan't hurt.

I don't trust Damascus steel in shotgun barrels.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 29, 2011, 01:57 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
Damascus barrels should not be shot under any conditions
Not quite 100% true - many folks DO shoot Damascus barrels all the time - it falls under the "it depends" category - which means having it properly checked out. There are folks shooting shotguns from the 1870's and 1880's all the time - and doing it safely
Old September 29, 2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Jim Watson

I can think of several categories:

Old cheap Damascus in doubtful condition - not shootable. I fear that is where the OP is.

Old cheap Damascus in good condtion - maybe shootable with black powder.

Old good Damascus in doubtful condition - not shootable.

Old good Damascus in good condition - shootable with black powder.

Old good Damascus in good condition with Nitro proof - shootable with smokeless.

The trick is getting barrels thoroughly checked to be in good shootable condition. I know there are experts doing that - had one here at one time - but it is not something to take lightly.
Old September 30, 2011, 09:29 AM   #10
RevGeo

Peaches2 - What is the 16ga. site?

George
Old September 30, 2011, 09:50 AM   #11
dahermit

Unless "have it checked out", includes sophisticated testing equipment, and not just, "having a gunsmith look at it", I would not shoot it. The "welds" that are used to make a barrel in Damascus steel are "forge welds" where the steel ribbons have been twisted and braided together, heated to red heat and hammered together using a flux (borax). Therefore, given the multitude of forge-welds required, the multitude of of possible places were there may be unseen, undetected rust eating away at the steel somewhere, firing one of those antiques seems a bit foolhardy. But, it is your eyes, hands, fingers...
Old September 30, 2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Civil War Life

Quote:
Damascus barrels should not be shot under any conditions. It's impossible to assesses any rust that has weakened the weld seams.
Not necessarily true. I have a 16 ga Damascus double that I have been shooting for 40 years. Yes I had it checked out be a gunsmith first, then fired a test shot from each barrel remotely. I now load my own black powder shells with 60 gr of FFG powder and 7/8 oz shot. Works great on clay pigeons.

Check it out and have fun.
Old September 30, 2011, 12:59 PM   #13
vaskeet

I would check with Briley manufacturing and talk to them about having a tube set made for the gun. Randy
Old September 30, 2011, 01:14 PM   #14
jaguarxk120

If you do shoot the gun with black powder. Use only holy black not any of the new stuff. The pressure curves are different, and the pressures.
Old September 30, 2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Civil War Life

Here is a 16 gauge site I enjoy.

http://www.16ga.com/

Old September 30, 2011, 08:20 PM   #16
oneounceload

Besides the 16 gauge society listed above, if you enjoy doubles, look here as well:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

and here:

http://www.vintagers.org/
Old September 30, 2011, 10:19 PM   #17
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
Not necessarily true. I have a 16 ga Damascus double that I have been shooting for 40 years. Yes I had it checked out be a gunsmith first, then fired a test shot from each barrel remotely. I now load my own black powder shells with 60 gr of FFG powder and 7/8 oz shot. Works great on clay pigeons.
It is not true until it lets go in someones face. As the first post states, you cannot see inside a forge-weld and see if corrosion is eating away at it. Looking at it proves nothing. Also, just because someone gets away with kicking a grizzly bear in the butt does not make it a safe pastime. Sooner or later, one could have a very bad day. Is it worth the risk?