The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #26
Clark

Blue Dot burns so clean at 35 kpsi in a 223 that it cannot burn any cleaner.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 24, 2012, 01:12 PM   #27
zxcvbob

Clark, have you tried AA#7 or AA4100 in .223? (or 5.56 NATO)
Old February 24, 2012, 04:48 PM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

For soft shooting loads with lead Trail Boss is king. It burns clean even at low pressures. The only soot in a gun after shooting with it is from bullet lube. I use about 4.0 grains with a 158 grain LSWC using CCI small rifle primers. It gives tiny groups, low recoil, and a gun that is easy to clean.

Now I do use a lot of Bull's Eye and it is dirty, and sooty. I still use it because it works. I just clean my gun when I get done shooting. It takes me a few minutes to do so.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:56 PM   #29
dunerjeff

From my observations ,any Vihta Vuori is as clean as you can get under the most situations. I use AA#9 in my 357Sig loads and most of the time after being fired you can barely tell the case was even shot,they are still shiny inside.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:35 PM   #30
Clark

Quote:
zxcvbob
No.
I learned about Blue Dot from a guy I hunted with, known in the internet as Seafire.
He learned it from the James Calhoon website.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

I have been to James Calhoon, and they do not have internet. That website is hosted somewhere else and the frames are hard to get around, but..

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.php

They went through an evolution of reduced loads for ground squirrels, and eventually wild cats for ground squirrels.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 24, 2012, 08:08 PM   #31
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob
No.
I learned about Blue Dot from a guy I hunted with, known in the internet as Seafire.
He learned it from the James Calhoon website.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

I have been to James Calhoon, and they do not have internet. That website is hosted somewhere else and the frames are hard to get around, but..

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.php

They went through an evolution of reduced loads for ground squirrels, and eventually wild cats for ground squirrels.
Thanks. I just bought a Mini-14 (I know reduced loads would be better fired from a bolt action) and I *think* I have a jug of AA2230 and some 4895 but I'm not sure. I do have almost 16 pounds of #7, and it generally is usable in the same applications as Blue Dot but it's not as bulky. So maybe it's not a good choice but it should be worth a try.

Last edited by zxcvbob; February 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:23 PM   #32
Clark

I don't have a mini 14, but I do have gas operated ARs.

The 33 gr Vmax and Blue dot will not cycle at any charge. It has to be operated single shot.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:48 PM   #33
g20gunny

Hodgdon CLAYS is my goto for light to medium lead loads from 38 spl to roundballs in my 44mag. Extreamly clean and very economic... I use 2.5 gr in 38 spl with 140 ldewc.
Old February 25, 2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Doc.Holliday

In 45 colt I have found 7.5 grains of Red Dot over my 250 gr rnfp cast bullet to shoot extremely clean in relation to my barrel and brass.
Power Pistol is very clean burning as well in my guns .

Doc
Old February 26, 2012, 08:43 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

Here's a cure.....

1.The next time you reload, load up a box of ammo using real Black Powder. Go shoot that box off the first chance you get. 2.Go clean your gun. In two simple steps you'll be cured of complaining of dirty smokeless powder ever again. If you think I'm kidding just try it and you'll see.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:24 PM   #36
g20gunny

Pathfinder45 is right! I tried some blackpowder in my 38spl and the brass was so dirty that I gave up on cleaning them and threw them out.