The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2012, 07:36 PM   #51
nikdfish

I've always been intrigued by the 300 whisper, but seeing the SAAMI approval of the 300 BLK spec & ready availability of AR15 uppers in that chambering pushed me off the fence. I've currently got a 16" SS 300 BLK upper on order (back order...) from DSA inc.

My intended applications will primarily be supersonic. I'd love to be able to shoot suppressed - my hearing has taken plenty of hits over the years - but don't want the paperwork hassles.

I have picked up some dies & components in anticipation of arrival.

The brass I ordered from a place called BradsWarehouse and is formed from once fired LC brass. What I ordered is trimmed & formed (but not expanded or deburred) for $17.00 per 100. For another $5 it could have been expanded & deburred, but I'd just as soon do this myself. Larger lots are cheaper.

I've ordered some 125 grain sierra's but am thinking of trying some M2 ball pulls as well.

I figure on using H110 for the powder.

I'm looking forward to playing with this.

Nick
Old January 11, 2012, 09:06 PM   #52
rsilvers

Old January 12, 2012, 09:59 AM   #53
Adamantium

So I have a couple 300 blackout questions and I figured I might as well piggy back on this thread. I've noticed in load data that there is a gap in bullet weights between 135 and 200+ grains. Is there something unsuitable about 150, 165, 180, etc bullets? Or are they left out because they are too slow moving to reliably expand but not subsonic either? Are there OAL issues with bullets with longer ogives?

Also I want to say to rsilver thank you for putting out info on this round. I've read some of your post on other discussion boards and know you have a financial incentive to promote the 300 blackout, but it is still nice to have someone doing it.