The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Gbro

Quote:
Like Shoney,
Over the years I've deprimed hundreds of live primers, whether in the right way, upside down, sideways smushed..... Never had one detonate.
I have had primers stuck sideways in my Lee hand primer on many occasions. To free the case from the tool I just crush the primer flat and never had one flash. That doesn't mean one should not be careful. I can just picture some wearing safety glasses looking away from a possible flash thereby exposing the eye to danger from the side. Look danger head on for safety
Old February 7, 2009, 08:03 PM   #27
enstorm

Either eject the primers with the deprimer in the sizing die or just chamber the brass in your firearm and shoot them. I have done both with wonderful success
Old February 8, 2009, 02:45 AM   #28
Voyageur

This probably is not what most folks are looking for but you could deprime them the way we use to deprime Berdan primers. I used to have a Lachmiller Berdan deprimer but I traded it off to Elmer Keith as it ruined too many of the 'posts'.

The shellholder, a short piece of wooden dowel and water. Fill the case almost full of water, put it in the shellholder, take the wooden dowel (slip fit) and strike it with a hammer. Out comes the primer.

Probably too much trouble for most folks... but then again I don't complain about cleaning my M/Ls.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:44 AM   #29
Snobal

I'm so dumb I just deprime them normally like a fired case.

I've had primers that would not seat flush --- and also accidentally seated primers sideways and upside down ---- then deprimed them normally, and never had one detonate when using the RCBS Jr. press I got in 1970.

But, in the 60's using a "Lee Loader" and a plastic mallet, I believe at least one went off --- but it did not hurt anything.

At family parties, we used to shoot wax bullets at cans in the fireplace in the living room. Guess I've shot so many "primer powered" wax rounds, that I just don't see primers going off as a problem.