The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1
dorite

Load data for remington bullets

Is there any source avaliable for reloading datta for reminton bullets specificly.
Old June 21, 2006, 08:26 AM   #2
MADISON

Loading data for Remmington bullets?

A now retired police range officer told us a story of a guy who could not find reloading data for a specific bullet manufacturer.
His answer was....What difference does it make.
Everybody but Lyman, who does not make and sell bullets, says don't use other brands. With a little care, it doesn't make any difference what brand of bullet you use from which manual.

"A little care" to me means too start on the lot to middle of the scale and make sure as you go hotter the pressure is not to much.

Last edited by MADISON; June 22, 2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old June 21, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
918v

Why don't you define "little care"
Old June 21, 2006, 05:10 PM   #4
steve4102

I think "a little Care" means to use common sense and as always start low and work up in small increments looking for signs of pressure along the way.
Old June 21, 2006, 05:39 PM   #5
amamnn

oddball bullets

You can probably use the data in Lee's "Modern Reloading" safely as it is very conservative and actually an average of ogive type, bearing surface, bullet runout, and jacket material or alloy. As always, start with the start load and work up.
Old June 21, 2006, 06:47 PM   #6
MrApathy

what data are you looking for rifle or pistol? perhaps give some usefull information in your question so you can get some usefull feedback
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old June 21, 2006, 10:14 PM   #7
dorite

I was hoping to find some source to all of remingtons bullets ,pistol and rifle.
I load for.44mag,357mag,38spcl.,40sw & 30-06,30-30 mod94,contender,300wsm.,308,7mm08.
Old June 22, 2006, 12:15 PM   #8
VincentB

If you stay with the same bullet type and start with starting lods I have NEVER had a problem with using Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, etc data.

But what do I mean same bullet type. For instance I am now loading 45 grain Remington Hornet bullets from Midway in my Cz 527 .22 Hornet They look very much like the Hornady bullet and are lead core/guilding jacket bullets. At $35 for 500 of them they make great plinking bullets and while the 35 gr V Max (@$14 per 100) gets .6" groups at 100 the Midway/Rem are good for 1 to 1 1/4 inch. No problem here.

What you NEVER want to do it take a Barnes solid bullet or a Nosler Partition and sustitute for the data of a standard bullet. These harder, tougher bullets will most certainly run the pressures up if you do. In this cae the Barnes will run the pressures up MORE than the Partition but even the Partition will run higher pressures as compared to a"soft " bullet. That central partition makes the butter harder to deform to fit the rifling and will cause pressures to rise. The Solid Barnes bullets are MUCH tougher than a standard bullet and will almost certainly cause a rise in pressure.

Getting back to you Rem bullets, as long as you pick a similar bullet from one of the big bullet suppliers their data will work quite well. Just start low and work up like you would when starting with ANY new bullet.