The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

What should an IWB holster do?

I have reserved a CZ SP-01.
I have sold my G19.
I have not sold my G19 Galco Soft-Tuk IWB holster.
I have tried the SP-01 in the holster.
It fits and covers the trigger fully, but the slide extends beyond the bottom of the holster sleeve by an inch.

I could use it, avoiding the "golden fleece" type search that would be trying to buy a decent SP-01 holster locally. I would also avoid the "sell a kidney" costs of ordering one from the States.

So, does the Soft-Tuk sound up to the job, or am I over-looking something? Would I need to modify it somewhat?
Extend the area that covers the slide?
Old October 16, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2
BarryLee

It seems a holster should do three things:

1) Provide a safe/secure means of carrying the gun eliminating any chance of a negligent discharge, drop or slip.

2) Protect the gun from unnecessary debris and/or damage that might cause performance issues.

3) Provide a means of carrying the gun that offers the right amount of stealth and comfort.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 16, 2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Well the Soft Tuk seems to definitely do number 1. However, would it be doing numbers 2 and 3?

As I mentioned, it is the slide and muzzle, protruding from the end of the holster that bothers me and it is that I am thinking of addressing.

The question is how? An extending shroud at the end of the holster?
Old October 16, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
BarryLee

I suspect the muzzle protrusion won’t hurt the gun any, but does it hurt you? In other words does the gun poke or rub against your side/pants causing discomfort or wear. I doubt the muzzle protrusion will really damage the gun, so as long as the gun is secure and comfortable give it a try.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 16, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
JimmyR

The SofTuk is not a bad holster, honestly. I have one that has been used for a Beretta Tomcat, Kahr CM9, and Bulgarian Makarov.

As long as the size is close, you should be fine. What I would look for with the SofTuk would be making sure the entire trigger guard is covered, and making sure you can draw your pistol comfortably.

Where the SofTuk doesn't do as well is with safeties. The safety on my Makarov gets caught evey time I try to holster my pistol, and requires a certain degree of fumbling. I am not as familiar with the SP01 safety, but it might be worth trying to reholster with the holster in the waistband.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:15 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I am not as familiar with the SP01 safety, but it might be worth trying to reholster with the holster in the waistband.
What I remember, although I just slipped into the holster to see if it would fit, was that it slid in, but was a bit wider than the holster's carcass that was built for the G19.
I don't remember seeing the safety touch the holster: I think it was further back on the slide. I could be wrong.

Re-holstering was already a pain with the G19: I see no reason why that should be different with the SP-01.
Anyway, this is just to have a carry option if I ever choose to. My usual choice is a snub: a far cry from the big CZ!!
Old October 19, 2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Auto5

As long as the trigger guard is covered, I don't see any problem with the muzzle protruding through the open bottom of the holster. In fact, many slide holsters are designed this way. Since this is an IWB, I'm assuming there isn't a lot of dirt and debris inside your pants (and if there is, I don't want to know about it). Your clothing will protect the exposed end of the slide against any bumps or dings, if you are concerned about such things.
Old October 19, 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
dirt and debris inside your pants
Literally or figuratively speaking?

Anyway, my morals aside, I am going to wait till the gun arrive home, then see how it feels. Failing that there is one shop that sells a Theis type IWB holster on a leather base. But that is another €50 on top of the €110 I need to spend to get another mag and an IOSC holster / mag-pouch rig.

I'm not sure I would bother though as the SP-01 would be a VSC rather than EDC (Very Seldom Carried). It is really just to know I have the option.
Old October 21, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9
gotthegoods

Until I found my perfect holster, I used a no-name low profile leather holster for my 75B. It held the weapon securely and safely covered the trigger. The barrel protruded 1" - 1 1/2" from the bottom. I used this holster for a year for EDC and there is no wear on my pistol.

During that time I was never "cut" by the protruding end while moving, sitting, etc.

Based on your "a gun less carried," I think recycling your Tuk is a good option. A local leather guy could add something if the exposed barrel if particularly uncomfortable.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Brandon79ta

Most kydex IWB holsters I've seen didn't cover the whole slide and barrel so I don't see why a leather holster would need to.

Since you said it covers the trigger guard just see if it's comfortable and holds the gun securely enough to suit you. If so I would use it when need be.
Old October 22, 2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Pond, James Pond

Now that it is home, I've been cleaning it and I've tried it in the Galco, IWB. OK, it is not a G26, but it is held close to the body at 4 o'clock very well indeed.

In addition, the muzzle only protrudes by about half an inch: less than I had remembered. The grip is quite chunky, but if I load in a standard CZ75 mag, and not the rubber-ended SP ones, then it should not print too much under a baggy T-shirt, and certainly won't under a jacket!

I also checked that the safety is just outside the holster, so not at risk of being engaged by accident!!

Sweet: the Galco stays!!
Old October 22, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
ripnbst

I have a Blue Ridge Holsters CAMO model that I really like. They are $60 USD and then the additional cost would just be shipping obviously. You could maybe get one to you for around $100? They ship for free in the Continental US so you'd have to inquire about a shipping charge.
Old October 22, 2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Pond, James Pond

And the there is the extra 30% customs duty....