The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
jbrooks39

First Handgun Purchase: ROUND 2: Smith & Wesson M&P 9 (pro) vs. Walther PPQ

Greetings

As I stated in my first thread asking about the contrast between an SA XDM-9 and a S&W M&P 9 Pro, I have made a choice to eliminate the SA from my list to due to some of the lack of left-handed comfort/features.

So, I am now posting the same question regarding the S&W M&P 9 (pro) and the Walther PPQ.

I know there are a lot of "this" vs "that" comparisons, but I would appreciate some constructive feedback/contrast/comparisons between the following two handguns:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro
Walther PPQ

This is/will be my first handgun purchase. I am left-handed shooter, so I appreciate the slide lock/release being ambidextrous on the M&P. Both seem comparable in pricing too.

This will be used primarily a home defense purchase, but I have the intention to receive NRA Basic Pistol training from our local range. I would also like to spend time becoming as proficient as possible with this pistol.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Joe
Old December 13, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
5 Pack

I can't speak to the Walther but I can comment on the M&P. Left-hander compatibility was a critical feature requirement for me as although I'm a righty my wife is a lefty.

I picked the M&P, as both 1st and 2nd handgun, for (many reasons but the topical one is) the magazine release. While not what I would consider to be truly ambidextrous; it is very easily and quickly switchable from right to left. But even more importantly it does not interfere with my wive's grip if she grabs mine or with mine should I grab hers. Pick up a gen 3 Glock, then an M&P and you'll see exactly what I mean. We use ours for home defense, but mine is also my CCW.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Mercenary

Tough Call!

The PPQ also has ambi controls. The mag release on the Walther is ambi, whereas the mag release on the M&P can be switched to be made ambi.

The mag release on the Walther is that European style. Handle one and play with it some and see if you like it.

If you are looking to accessorize then the M&P has more options available.

THe M&P trigger is OK, but a lot of people think that the Pro is MUCH better. However, I've read where some users were disappointed that there was not as much of a difference as they thought.

The Walther trigger is superb!

THe M&P is a little bit narrower if you are looking to CCW.

Bottom line: Either will serve you well. Try to go to a gun show or gun shop and handle both. See what fits your hand best and go with that one. If possible rent and shoot both. Good luck!
Old December 13, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4
ScotchMan

The PPQ is a premium gun made with extreme attention to detail and quality. The M&P is a very popular, common, well-made gun. You can't go wrong with either but its the difference between a Ford Explorer or a Porsche Cayenne.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 13, 2011, 09:12 AM   #5
TunnelRat

I just bought a PPQ and think it's great. As far as being ambidextrous it's more so than the M&P because the magazine release is on both sides, no need to switch anything over which makes for other people using your gun to be a simple process. They both come with a lifetime warranty fulfilled by Smith & Wesson which is a great thing. To me the biggest weakness with the M&P is the trigger, which I found to be sub-par. A trigger kit helped but I still wasn't overly happy with it. The PPQ is much better in this regard. I also prefer the ergonomics and stipling of the PPQ. That said, the PPQ did have a break in period for me that the M&P didn't require. In addition I wish Walther had paid Smith & Wesson for the rights to use the M&P replaceable backstrap system because it is the best I have seen of any manufacturer and a lot easier than the PPQ's roll pin. I always use the medium grip so it isn't really an issue for me.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 13, 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
carguychris

I'm not sure whether you're looking at the 5" M&P9 Pro with the HiViz front sight or the 4" Pro with night sights, so I'll try to address both.

PPQ Plus:
  • Trigger is simply awesome, especially in reset
  • More refined assembly quality
  • Slightly more accurate according to range reports I've seen
  • Euro-style paddles rather than conventional mag release button (YMMV)
  • Slightly shorter and lighter (vs. 5" M&P; it's a wash vs. 4" M&P)
M&P Plus:
  • Pistol is cheaper, albeit somewhat less for Pro than standard M&P
  • Spare mags are substantially cheaper and more readily available
  • Conventional mag release button rather than Euro-style paddles (YMMV)
  • Better sights
  • Better aftermarket support
  • Longer sight radius (with 5" barrel; 4" barrel is a wash)
  • Lower bore axis for better recoil control during rapid fire
  • No annoying trigger "dingus"
  • Somewhat more CCW-friendly overall shape
Bottom line: Try the PPQ trigger and decide if it's enough to warrant paying extra.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:46 AM   #7
LordTio3

I have operated a Walther P99 (which is the generation 1 PPQ, lets not lie). I thought it handled fine. It wasn't for me. One of my biggest gripes on all the Walthers I've owned or operated is the sighting system. The front sight is just too small compared to the opening in the rear sights. Among other things, it just didn't fit me.

I OWN a Smith and Wesson M&P9. I love it. It feels perfect in my hands and I was dead on accurate with it as soon as I picked it up. It can be easily made left hand operable, and 17rd magazines can be found for just over $20.

Speaking from actual experience and not internet conjecture; for me, hands down, M&P.

~LT

PS: I got my M&P used with 350 rounds through it in Like New condition for $375. Shop around.
Old December 13, 2011, 04:55 PM   #8
sigarms228

I have tried a M&P in 9MM and .45. They are nice pistols but just did not do it for me. Then I tried a Walther P99 AS and it was great.

Later I held a M&P 9MM and a PPQ side by side at LGS. I like the grip on the PPQ better and the PPQ trigger was in a whole different league of quality compared to the M&P.

When I had a chance to get a new PPQ for $489 it was a no brainer for me and very glad I did after trying it out. Also the PPQ was about the perfect size for what I was looking for - just a very little bit bigger than my Glock 19.

As always it is best for you to try both out, ideally at the same time, to see which works best for you.
Old December 13, 2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Officer's Match

FNP's are a good value ambi in the class of the other two as well.
Old December 13, 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
jbrooks39

Is it fair to say that holding a P99 is close enough to a PPQ with regard to how it will fit/feel in one's hand?

None of the local shops have a PPQ and I would like to get my hands on one to experience the fit/feel.

Thank you for all of the responses.

Regards,
Joe
Old December 13, 2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Uncle Malice

Both are very good pistols. The PPQ trigger will be much better out of the box.

As I said in your other poll, if you go with the M&P, make sure to get the Apex Tactical DCAEK kit.

Both guns are served by S&W's excellent customer service department. The Walther probably does have a little bit more refined fit and finish and has that German made 'cool factor', if that's something you care about. Or the S&W has the American made thing going for it...

These are 2 of the best polymer pistols on the market in my opinion and you will be extremely well served by either of them. The M&P is one of my favorite guns that I own, and the PPQ is next on my list for purchase... I've handled and shot them... I can't say that I like it better than my M&P because I know that my own M&P is 100% perfect... but the PPQ will be giving it a run for its money.

Try to find a place that you can at least handle both of them and if possible - shoot them.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

I have both and love both, so it's close... If I could only have one---M&P Pro. Both hve been 100% reliable, are extremely accurate, have good ergos, and are made by proven manufacturers. But, for me, the PPQ has more muzzle flip than the M&P and my follow up shots are slower. Either way you can't go wrong.

BTW.... Have you seen the newly released 'PPQ 1st edition'? That thing looks sweet
Old December 26, 2011, 08:23 PM   #13
jbrooks39

@ plouffedaddy

Which version of the M&P Pro do you have? What drove you to make the barrel choice you chose?

Thanks and regards,
Joe
Old December 28, 2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Mercenary

Just wondering if you had made a decision yet? I am interested in knowing which you choose.
Old December 28, 2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

I picked the 4'' barrel with night sights as I view all of my guns as SD/HD weapons.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; December 28, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old December 29, 2011, 04:18 PM   #16
jbrooks39

@ mercenary

No choice made yet. I finally, last night (Dec 28th), was able to get my hands on a PPQ 9mm.

The shop did not have an M&P in 9mm or .40, but they did have an M&P in .45 that I was able to compare/contrast with the PPQ.

The PPQ did indeed feel good in my hands. The magazine release is different; that's for sure. However, all of the other ambidextrous features felt pretty good to me.

Firing the PPQ with the snap cap, felt really good, from my limited experience.

Ultimately, I am leaning very heavily toward the PPQ. However, the shop owner commented on the 9mm regarding home defense, the velocity, and the possibility of traveling much further than I would anticipate. Those thoughts have me going through the pain of the 9mm/.40 debate (and I am not convinced one way or the other on this topic).

@plouffedaddy - did you say your versions are 9mm?

Thanks,
Joe
Old December 29, 2011, 04:23 PM   #17
18DAI

I vote for the PPQ - on trigger alone. Regards 18DAI
Old December 29, 2011, 04:32 PM   #18
sigarms228

Quote:
Ultimately, I am leaning very heavily toward the PPQ. However, the shop owner commented on the 9mm regarding home defense, the velocity, and the possibility of traveling much further than I would anticipate. Those thoughts have me going through the pain of the 9mm/.40 debate (and I am not convinced one way or the other on this topic).
That is not unique to the 9MM and is also a problem with .40, .45, .357. etc.

You can use pistol ammo that is best suited for such applications including JHP or possibly frangible but never FMJ.

Otherwise use a shotgun and large birdshot/small buckshot for home defense.

BTW my choice 9MM PPQ:

Last edited by sigarms228; December 29, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old December 29, 2011, 05:07 PM   #19
excelerater

Wather...never owned one but im certian its better than a M&P
which is IMO the worst of all of the big 4 poly guns (ruger,glock,XD,M&P)
Old December 29, 2011, 06:13 PM   #20
catnphx

Quote:
excelerater said: im certian its better than a M&P which is IMO the worst of all of the big 4 poly guns (ruger,glock,XD,M&P)
LOL ... I could address this in so many ways but everyone has their opinion.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old December 29, 2011, 06:15 PM   #21
MLeake

What makes you say that, excelerator? Do you have much trigger time on all four?

Personally, I haven't tried an XD; handled and didn't like the feel or trigger of the SR9; owned but never warmed to Glocks (G21 and G30); and own and like the M&P45 in full and compact. I also have to shoot the M&P9 every so often.

The only guns I like better than the M&P series are my Les Baer 1911 and my S&W 13-3 3".

Oddly enough, over half the shooters in my IDPA club used M&Ps. Glocks and 1911s probably tied for second in popularity...

But to each his own.
Old December 29, 2011, 10:49 PM   #22
Mrgunsngear

Yes, both of mine are 9mm.
Old December 29, 2011, 11:36 PM   #23
Martowski

My XD40 is the auto I'm most consistently accurate with; the only handguns I currently shoot better are revolvers. And I don't know why... but it is what it is. The trigger on my XD40 is simply outstanding; smooth, consistent light pull and then a break w/o any change in tension. It's wonderful. Hey, wait, maybe that's why!
Old January 3, 2012, 04:43 PM   #24
jbrooks39

The Choice

Well, I finally made the choice this afternoon. I ordered a Walther PPQ in .40 caliber.

I am excited and really looking forward to taking ownership of this handgun.

I struggled with the 9mm vs. .40 caliber choice, but figured I could always add a second PPQ to my arsenal.

Thanks to those of you that contributed to this thread.

Regards,
JB
Old January 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Uncle Malice

Congrats! Make sure to post pics when you get it!

(Proper Internet etiquette, you know. )

Tags
ppq , s&w 9mm , smith & wesson 9mm , walther