The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1
TCman

User 870

I have 2 Remington 870s with 28 inch barrels that I hunt with and a Benelli M1, all in 12 ga. I feel the 12 is a bit overkill when squirrel and rabbit hunting, and the long barrel is more useful when bird hunting. I found a used 870 in 20 ga for a good price so I picked it up. The previous owner mounter a weaver scope base and removed the bead from the rib, apparently to make a bubba slug gun. I ordered a Meprolight tru-dot to replace the bead and removed the base. My problem is midway does not carry factory plug screws. Brownells has them, but I do not know the thread pattern.
My secont problem is when I shoulder me 12 gauges I can see the sight right down the rib perfectly, but with the 20 I really have to sandwich my head down on the stock. would a shim kit angle the stock more so it would be more comfortable?
Old February 4, 2010, 01:19 PM   #2
zippy13

Go to your local hardware store and check out small screws in the Bownells plug screw threadings to see which one fits. Or, you they may have some set screws that would serve as plug screws.

A shim kit may do the job, but it's possible to change the angle of Remington stock by removing some wood. Before you do anything to the 20, do an accurate measure-up and compare the two stocks. Remember, changing the length-of-pull will also change how far up the comb your face is placed. You may need a butt plate spacer, not an angle change.