The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 21, 2020, 10:08 PM   #1
ninosdemente

MDT XRS for Savage 12FV

Looking to upgrade stock for Savage 12FV .223. I have been looking into this set up: https://mdttac.com/us_en/xrs-chassis...___store=us_en

Has anyone used this type of style stock? If so, what are your thoughts? Used for target.

I have an Oryx chassis on a Savage 12FV 6.5 Creed. Have contemplated on another one but want to get a different look. Call me picky, but don't want two of the same stocks.
Old June 22, 2020, 12:36 AM   #2
stagpanther

I have several LSS stocks and they're really nice IMO--this one is interesting in that it appears you get the integrated synthetic stock for little to no extra cost compared to the other MDT chassis systems.
Old June 22, 2020, 04:26 AM   #3
Bfglowkey

The Savage 12 FV Have that internal magazine, what modifications are required using this chassis to get the external mags it takes to work? Or is it drop in?
Old June 22, 2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Rimfire5

Bfglowkey,

I have two Oryx stocks on my 12 FV .223 and 6.5mm CM.
Both actions dropped in perfectly, and the Oryx AICS bottom metal replaced the hidden mags in the 12 FVs. But you have to buy the AICS mags separately.

With the 6.5mm CM, if you intend to seat the bullets out to optimize the jump, pay attention to the overall length allowed in the AICS mags.
Different manufacturers have different overall length limits, probably due to the type of mag material. The plastic mags need a wider material to maintain the mag strength and you lose some overall length for the cartridge.

I got a Magpul AICS mag for the .223 and it has 2.500 overall length available, more than enough for even a very deep chamber.
I also got a Magpul AICS mag for the 6.5mm CM but it was limited to 2.870 or so. I bought a metal mag and got almost 2.900 overall length.
Old June 22, 2020, 07:55 AM   #5
stagpanther

They are expensive--but MDT's magazines are very robust, precise (cartridges feed very well at all COL's I've tried) and they usually have a range of over-all maximum COL's that you can select from. Among the best built and functioning magazines I've ever used.
Old June 23, 2020, 12:06 AM   #6
ninosdemente

At the moment not able to spend to get the other MDT chassis. Although the set up I want is still not cheap but cheaper route vs the other chassis plus the additional components I have to get.

As stagpanther, they drop in no problem, no modification at all. I did buy the extra spacers just in case. Have not used it. Ended up buying these mags for the Oryx: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...?sku=100016599 and https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...?sku=100017581.

They do rub on some corners and on other posts did read some filed but I didn't. From the constant use, they work well. I ended up buying two more mags but from another site. A few dollars less than Brownells.
Old June 23, 2020, 08:39 AM   #7
stagpanther

If your Oryx has the same kind of rock-solid bedding, I wouldn't fret over it. the MDT has that "ready to go to war" robust feel about them which is why I like them, I'm abusive of things in general, tend to drop and bash them about easily.
Old June 23, 2020, 11:43 AM   #8
Rimfire5

The Oryx chassis at $400 is a great buy IMHO.
They will fit both the top and bottom bolt release models but the bottom bolt release has slot to get to the bolt release slide.

You can add options but unless you have long arms like I do, you probably don't need the optional spacers. It comes with one. I bought the pack of spacers and shared them between my two chassis.
I managed to get an optional color for my second Oryx without having to pay for the option by not buying from the factory site.

Solid mounting for the action but the chassis is a bit heavy if you intend to hunt and carry it around stalking.

The chassis is one piece of aluminum so there is absolutely no flex.
Barrels on both my 12 FVs are fully floated when mounted.
The Oryx improved accuracy by almost 10% with my 6.5mm CM by eliminating flex in the factory stock.
My .223 didn't flex in the factory stock but it did improve my accuracy too, just not as much as the 6.5mm CM.
Old June 24, 2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Bfglowkey

Good to know. I been eyeballing the Oryx for my How mini action build but the 12 FVs are such a value in terms of action and solid starting barrel. I have a 308 and a 223 in the 12FV sitting in 2 different aftermarket stocks...one being a boyd, and they are such fun shooters. The 308 is scary fun to load for and shoot. I have a 6.5 CM RPR that is just a hammer but I am looking at picking up 2 more 12FVs to cannibalize and maybe make one into an ARC for giggles. Wonder if I can find it still in 204 Ruger......
Old July 22, 2021, 11:21 AM   #10
King_elgar

All that you need is an AICS mag. The MDT mag fits perfectly, magpul AICS required removal of a small amount of material that interfered with the barrel. Barrel and action drops right in and fits perfectly. Makes the rifle way better, considering that the internal mag in the OE savage stock made the rifle a single shot only considering the incredible difficulty I had in loading the magazine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk