The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2019, 02:27 PM   #1
DAKA

LCP vs PICO vs SCCY vs ?

Anyone have any FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with these three?
GENITRON gives the SCCY CXP (380) a lot less recoil factor.
OR, any 380 no bigger than these...
Old August 11, 2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

Pico is top shelf. Do a search, many pics. Also love the Kahr CW380. Have a LCP, but no longer shoot it much. Never shot the SCCY, although too big for my preference. The Pico and the Kahr are mild shooters, very pleasant. And so is the Kahr CM9 which only weighs 15oz. Love all these guns including the Beretta Nano.
Old August 12, 2019, 05:52 AM   #3
mike94yj1

I have an LCP, I have never had an issue with it. Love the size. The SCCY, is a larger pistol. I had to have mine serviced for failing to extract. Since they went over it no issues. A friend had a Pico, sent it back twice and had to get rid of it, could never get it to fire reliable with his wife. Could have been grip issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 12, 2019, 06:19 AM   #4
OhioGuy

I never liked anything about the first gen LCP when I rented or even held it. The Pico feels considerably more solid and it's run reliably over about 500 rounds, although it did have a few double feeds during the first 200 or so.

Haven't experienced the SCCY but I was very unimpressed with their 9mm pistols. Felt cheap, ergonomics were weird, didn't like the trigger.

Pico trigger is actually excellent. It's possible to be very accurate with it. The grip is small and slippery so I'm still looking for a solution to help with that. I may try gritty Talon Grips next. The rubber sleeves I've found tend to slide around during shooting.

Remember a gun this size is the ultimate compromise. I'm very fond of my Pico but carry only when clothing rules out all else.
Old August 12, 2019, 07:35 AM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I never liked anything about the first gen LCP when I rented or even held it. The Pico feels considerably more solid and it's run reliably over about 500 rounds, although it did have a few double feeds during the first 200 or so.

Haven't experienced the SCCY but I was very unimpressed with their 9mm pistols. Felt cheap, ergonomics were weird, didn't like the trigger.

Pico trigger is actually excellent. It's possible to be very accurate with it. The grip is small and slippery so I'm still looking for a solution to help with that. I may try gritty Talon Grips next. The rubber sleeves I've found tend to slide around during shooting.

Remember a gun this size is the ultimate compromise. I'm very fond of my Pico but carry only when clothing rules out all else.
Ohio, guy, yes the gipe is slippery, but just a little bit of grip takes care of that. Also the modular grip design mean you can experiment with DIY stippling. I have two Pico's and love these well built mild shooters. If I told you have many rounds I have through one of them, no one would believe me. Very Durable guns.

Additional grips are inexpensive.

Beretta Nano Professional stippling on left

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 12, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old August 15, 2019, 07:07 AM   #6
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post

As an aside..how I carry my Glock 42 and how I carried my LCP when I had it..Very comfy, great alternative to pocket carry.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 15, 2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Carl the Floor Walker

Light weigh holsters

I have these for all my Small pistols and revolvers as well. Like IWB, but not holsters.I want it light weight,no bulk. Fast and easy. Like this on my Beretta Nano.

Old August 15, 2019, 09:47 AM   #8
tarhealcracker

Carl,

What are those "thingies" on the leather tong over your trigger housing. I know I'm going to feel a fool when you tell me but I gotta know.
Old August 15, 2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

I got some of mine through Gallaway precision, but some from other vendors as well. Gallaway also has them for other firearms

Old August 15, 2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

My 1st gen Elsie Pea is my every day companion. Never a problem. Shoots as accuratly as you can expect for a tiny "mouse gun". Disappears in any type of clothing. Personally I don't find it hard to shoot, or particularly uncomfortable. As for the grip, I added a Hogue Handall Jr. Rubber grip sleve which both gave a stickier feel, and a bit more body without sugnificantly increasing the size.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 15, 2019, 06:45 PM   #11
dannyb

I've carried both the LCP and Pico. I think that the Pico is the more elegant pistol, better made with better sights. My one problem with the Pico is its odd shape; doesn't lend itself to a pocket holster that's comfortable for me.
The sights and trigger on the LCP first generation weren't much of an improvement over my older P3-ATs. The LCP custom came out, the one with the red trigger and better sights, and I decided to try. Was disappointed with the reliability until I changed the recoil spring for a 12 pound Wolf replacement. All reliability problems went away, and the LCP fits well in an Uncle Mikes or DeSantis holster. The LCP custom is my carry piece now.
Old August 16, 2019, 07:04 AM   #12
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhealcracker View Post
Carl,

What are those "thingies" on the leather tong over your trigger housing. I know I'm going to feel a fool when you tell me but I gotta know.
Not 'Carl' but a way to carry this, with a clip, ClipDraw type thing, over your belt, lanyard attached to belt..so you can carry with one in the chamber, safely..Pull gun out, pull far enough, cover comes off trigger..

Carry my Glock 42 this way and also with the LCP, before I sold it..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 16, 2019, 08:33 AM   #13
tarhealcracker

Thanks Ret93. I got it and found a few Youtubes on the subject as well.
Old August 17, 2019, 04:55 PM   #14
1MoreFord

Rightly, wrongly, or indifferently I chose a LCP Custom Gen 2.

I didn't like the ergos of the Pico and don't trust the SCCY's.

My LCP is a bugger to shoot but once I added a Hogue Handall it's usable.
Old August 17, 2019, 10:12 PM   #15
Cirdan

I had an LCP for a long time. Good carry gun because it was so small. Still, not the highest quality gun. Once I sprung for a P238, there was no point. . . I traded it.
Old August 18, 2019, 02:48 AM   #16
mellow_c

The first gen lcp has been good to me. Long trigger, and low sights but reliable, tiny and accurate. A piece of bicycle inner tube on the grip and your in business. I haven’t shot the most recent version of the lcp but I think I would prefer it for the taller sights and better ergonomics. Also I’m sure the trigger is easier to manage in a hurry, but I also like the long pull of the first gen because I feel like it adds some safety to a gun that has no manual thumb safety and may be carried loosely in a pocket or soft pocket holster unlike a glock or something where you really need a good trigger blocking holster if you have a round chambered.

The sccy is kind of the same in regards to it’s long trigger pull, but is easier to manage in a hurry vs the 1st gen lcp, due to the better sights and just because it has a more hand filling grip and more natural distance to reach and fully pull the trigger (in my opinion anyway). I haven’t shot one in 380 but have in 9mm. They are actually really good guns for the money. The first so many they produced were plagued with problems, but they were all easily solved and very well understood issues, so that when they fixed them, they actually fixed them! It’s my understanding that all of their new guns are expected to be reliable and of good quality.
The sccy is a bit bulky, kind of a square grip, and if you get one, I would recommend you get it without the thumb safety because it really does get in the way when racking the slide and it’s easy to unintentionally reactivate during a reload. But overall I think they are pretty good guns.

I suspect you can get a brand new gen 2 lcp and a brand new no issues sccy for about $200 each these days. And you’d likely be happy with either. Just depends on how small you want to go, what you like the feel of, how you want to carry it, if you want a bit more magazine capacity, and some other factors I’m sure.

I don’t know anything about the Pico.

Last edited by mellow_c; August 19, 2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old August 19, 2019, 07:34 AM   #17
lapetrarca53

Just purchased a SCCY CPX-3 in .380 last week. First trip to the range was successful. 100 rounds down range without ant hiccups.

The trigger will take some getting used to but, overall, it seems to be a very solid, well made gun. No slop between mating surfaces, everything seems to fit without hardware rattling around.

Also have an LCP II (not a fun gun to shoot) and an M&P .380 EZ. It is, as it's name describes, EZ in every sense of the word..accurate too!
Old August 21, 2019, 07:21 AM   #18
Siggy-06

The Pico is nice, well made, easy to take down, but I couldn't get a positive grip on it. My LCP gen 2 fits much better and is a few oz lighter, just a bit more involved to disassemble.
Old August 21, 2019, 08:44 AM   #19
BigMikey76

Haven't shot the SCCY, only handled the Pico. LCP is just fine, but a bit too small for my XXL sized paws. For just a bit more grip room, I went with a Kahr CT380. Gets 1 extra round over the LCP, which makes the grip just long enough to get the edge of my pinky on there. Still disappears in a pocket, and there aren't many DAO triggers out there that are better than Kahr. Oh yeah, and I found it on sale new for $190, which just appealed to the cheap skate in me.
Old August 21, 2019, 09:05 AM   #20
spacecoast

My Kahr P380 is much easier to shoot and even a bit smaller than my 1st gen LCP. I recently added a green laser sight activated by my finger pressing against the grip. Highly recommended.
Old August 21, 2019, 09:41 AM   #21
IdaD

I have a second generation original LCP that I picked over the LCP II, Pico and BG. It fit my hand the best, I like the double action trigger a lot minus the double reset although I've gotten used to that, and it's so thin and light I can carry it all day without even thinking about it. I use the flat baseplates which only give me about 1.5 fingers on the grip so it took some practice to get the hang of it, but once I shot it a bit I've found it to be surprisingly accurate. I had about two FTF's from a box of cheap Armscor flat nose FMJs but otherwise it's fed everything without a single hiccup.

I like the P238 a lot and it's objectively a better pistol, but I'm not too keen on carrying a single action pistol cocked and locked in my pocket.
Old August 22, 2019, 05:52 AM   #22
OhioGuy

It's not exactly on topic, but I've been poking around looking for a very small gun for a while. I've tried the S&W Bodyguard .380 and Beretta Pico, both mostly reliable but very hard for me to shoot well. I've given up on pocket carry in any kind of ordinary pants, even as small as these guns are they still take up a lot of space, aren't comfortable to me and frequently are still visible from the outside in dress pants pockets (which is about the only time I'd carry something this small).

I also have trouble carrying them IWB because the grips are so tiny and they're hard to get a good hold of.

I've recently discovered snub nose revolvers, and while still larger than guns like the Pico, boy they sure are easier to hold and conceal deep. I think it's mostly the shape of the grip and how it curves around -- can bury it under the waistband and still have something there to get a good hold on. Only 5 shots and I don't realistically think I'd ever reload one well under stress (hard enough without stress!) but I've had enough issues with tiny pistols (picky with ammo, prone to misfeeds if not gripped tight enough, etc.) that having 5 shots that I know will fire when I need them to is very tempting.

Anyways, just for fun, if you're looking for a deep concealment option you might want to really look also into these little revolvers. If nothing else, they're fun and you feel like you're in an old-school cop movie.
Old August 27, 2019, 05:36 AM   #23
silvermane_1

My vote would be SCCY for two reasons: a)double stack mag, higher capacity and b)hammer fired instead of striker fire and no i'm not biased i own striker fired pistols.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c