The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 23, 2017, 04:54 PM   #1
GUNNER63755

My poor mans CQB carbine

Yep, you guessed it. Hi-Point .45acp carbine. For the money it is hard to beat. Cheap gun, clunky and heavy, but made in the USA and lifetime guarantee. Shoots good and it feeds anything I put in it. Being retired and on a fixed income, this thing fits the bill. You can buy the gun and do the add ons as you can afford them, but you still have the gun in hand. That works for me. I may even buy one in digital camo 9mm next to play with. Nice CQB gun. I hope I put this in the correct sub-forum. If not, disregard. LOL. Mike
1. BSA Red Dot sight
2. Vented barrel shroud
3. Laser/flashlight
4. 2 magazine holder on stock
5. Flip up sights that witness with red dot.
6. Slip on Pachmayer grip with finger grooves
7. Folding fore grip.
8. Enlarged bolt knob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (122.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (140.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (142.0 KB, 82 views)
Old May 24, 2017, 12:10 AM   #2
the possum

How many rounds have you put through it so far? Any chokes?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:45 AM   #3
JoeSixpack

Ya I could see that being pretty decent, only thing about hi-points is the capacity.

I've got a 9mm and it's been awesome.. I have the "classic" model before the TS and 45acp came out, the so called "planet of the apes" gun..

btw the backup sights.. what kind are they? look like a set I just bought off ebay for 3 bucks. They're plastic but seem really durable.. I have not mounted mounted them yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252908408573
If it's the same ones have you had any issues?
Old May 24, 2017, 05:04 PM   #4
COSteve

I picked up a 40 cal version for $100 from a friend about 12 years ago as he needed to thin the herd for some quick cash. Not much to say about it except he had a TruGlo 2x red dot on it that makes it quick pointing out at 100yds even though the trigger is so bad it's hard to precision aim at anything. Got it as a blasting companion for my Glock 40s as my son thought it might be cool to have one. Fugly but it works. It's been surprisingly reliable; charge the handle, pull the trigger, it goes bang. Out to 100 yds it's a decent plinker, however, he's got it now along with my Glock 22.

Old May 24, 2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Mr. Hill

Beware the poor man with only one CQB rifle, he probably knows how to use it!
Old May 24, 2017, 06:10 PM   #6
turkeestalker

I first purchased one of the 9mm versions from a buddy wanting to dump his, and since purchased three of the .45 caliber ones so that both my sons and I have one.
The are cheap and butt ugly, but they work. All of us have enjoyed plinking with them quite a few times.
The only hiccup that I've ever experienced was when I attempted to attach a brass catcher to the 9mm way back when. Once it got the weight of several cases in it, the mesh material that it was made of would obstruct clear ejection of the following cases.
Not one other issue outside of that.
They truly are a bargain that is hard to beat, especially with the warranty.
Old May 24, 2017, 06:20 PM   #7
ThomasT

I own a Hi Point 9mm or at least I used to own one until my son "borrowed"it. It's been borrowed for 15+years. But what a shooter it is. The only malfunction was with a lead bullet that hung up on the feed ramp. It will hit cantaloupe size rocks at 90 yards every shot.

I don't understand the worry about it only having a 10 round mag. So what? How many keep a 45 with a 7-8 round mag for HD and feel well armed?
Old May 24, 2017, 06:21 PM   #8
pblanc

I just bought the 995TS ("tactical stock", 9mm) for $239 out the door. Put a Magpul clone angled foregrip on it for another $10.

I am impressed with the accuracy of this thing. Mine has only the stock sights. It will shoot an impressively small group at 25 yards and I am sure farther out as well. First time shooting I had trouble getting it to chamber the first round from a magazine but after messing with the mag feed lips a bit, the second time out it did fine.

It is a bit heavy. Most consider it ugly. It is no work of art but to me it looks functional. Charging handle, safety, and magazine release are all a bit awkward to manipulate. I actually have no complaints regarding the trigger. No, it isn't great but mine breaks pretty cleanly.

Clearly the weakness of this firearm are the magazines. Not only the limited capacity, but the fact that you are mostly limited to Hi-Point magazines which do not seem to be of top quality.
Old May 25, 2017, 01:45 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Well, despite the grief HP get from some members, I can't say that is a bad looking rifle and most owners seem to be happy with performance.

If I had a choice I'd go 9mm just for cost of ammo...
Old May 28, 2017, 01:30 AM   #10
Yung.gunr

Those are some fun rifles. My Dad had one for a bit in 9mm. I was only able to shoot a magazine or two through it, but it was a good shooter.

Are you able to put that front sight any further down the barrel (toward the muzzle)? Seems a short sight radius for your BUIS.
Old May 30, 2017, 06:53 AM   #11
jglsprings

So how much do you have into this one?

Commas save lives...
Old May 30, 2017, 08:38 AM   #12
shootbrownelk

I find it hard to believe that Hi-point doesn't make large capacity magazines for their carbines, not to mention Magpul and other aftermarket companies. Not enough demand?
Old May 31, 2017, 12:46 AM   #13
BigBL87

20 rounders, and IIRC this is one aftermarket mag that Hi-Point has said will NOT void your warranty. Only for the 9mm so far it seems.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...52334995018.do