The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 20, 2017, 02:39 PM   #76
rickyrick

People often get "ribbon envy" especially when a lower ranking persons has more awards than a superior.
Usually causes the soldier with more ribbons to be blatantly and unfairly scrutinized. For some people, the expert marksmanship badge is unobtainable. So that creates jealousy and resentment.
I can't imagine that the Marine Corps is any different because it's a common human behavior that can be found in any organized human group.

I've always said that 5.56 can cause some of the ghastliest wounds, especially when compared to other fmj bullets. Some I really wish I had never seen, but that cannot be changed.
Old May 20, 2017, 04:26 PM   #77
Rob228

You can't get something for nothing. I'm coming up on 17 years in the Corps, 12 of it with Recon before I decided to get a commission and move on to different things. I did several tours to some bad places with an M-4, and one with a DMR built on an M-1A. I'd take the M-4 any day of the week, although I am fully understanding that they served different purposes. 1-2 DMs per squad is not a bad thing at all, it is definitely a good thing. But what a lot of people do not understand is how badly the average infantryman is already overloaded. Give me a weapon that shoots heavier bullets? Great, how about you cut the weight of my outdated body armor in half and double its efficiency before you add more weight to my load. You know what would increase my effectiveness even more? A reliable radio that doesn't weigh ten pounds (RELIABLE). So we can keep throwing money at programs because people who didn't carry the weight think they know better, or maybe you can ask the guy humping the gear what he thinks.
Old May 20, 2017, 07:35 PM   #78
Stats Shooter

Quote:
So we can keep throwing money at programs because people who didn't carry the weight think they know better, or maybe you can ask the guy humping the gear what he thinks.
You see, it is like any government budget: Any money "saved" will be spent on something else and not returned to the tax payer. Any weight saved on one thing will be added elsewhere. I was Navy EOD...I had trunks full of gear I deployed with that didn't work well or would never be used because I could get on from radio shack at 1/10th the size and 5000% more reliable.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:18 AM   #79
Rob228

That is the sad truth of it.