The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 25, 2015, 01:24 PM   #1
skizzums

snow in SE

not really a gun or hunting question. so close if need to. but I figure this would be a good bunch to ask. are there any mountains with 5-6 hours of Atlanta that would still have snow on the ground next week? I have live in GA for about 9 years, but haven't explored much of the mountains areas of Tennessee or the Carolina's. if no snow is possible, then whats just a nice area excluding the Appalachians? I remember doing Daniel Boone every year when I was growing up, but that's just too far of a haul to drag a 7 year old up there just for 2-3 days. a WMA with a range would be a bonus, but not a necessity. just want to find some nice mountains with some great lookouts and good day hiking to take my wife and son.
Old March 25, 2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Snyper

Quote:
excluding the Appalachians?
Those are the only mountains near you at all
Old March 25, 2015, 05:46 PM   #3
tahunua001

that may be the only MOUNTAIN RANGE near him but I'm sure there are mountains that aren't part of the Appalachian mountain range. for instance, Idaho has small mountains such as Craig Mountain and moscow mountain which have considerably higher elevation than the surrounding area but are not part of the rocky mountain range.

as to the OPs question, I really couldn't tell you it would take a local to answer that one.
Old March 25, 2015, 07:28 PM   #4
psalm7

The only mnts with snow caps when the rest of the state does not would be the Smokies you mentioned in East TN and Western NC . Despite the .70 weather there is a slight chance of snow this week end after a .40 temp drop .
Old March 25, 2015, 07:32 PM   #5
jmr40

I hunt the Cohutta WMA every year since 1977. They have hunts in October and late November that often run into early December. They also open the area in early March every year for a hog hunt. I've hunted in snow there quite often. Many of the higher elevations are 4000' or so and will often get 4-6" of snow when the Atlanta TV stations never mention snow. Drop below 2000' and there won't be any.

I'm quite certain there is none right now, but the forecast is for flurries in Atlanta this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see an inch or so there.

Coming up from Atlanta you could get off the 4 lane in Ellijay and follow the signs to Conosauga Lake. Be prepared for about a 20 mile drive on some pretty rough forest service roads. There are lots of wilderness hiking trails and the lake is beautiful. I don't think the campground is open for another week or so, but you can park near the boat ramp and hike around the lake and though the campground.

http://southernhiker.com/lake-conasauga/

There is a firing range on the NE section of the WMA, but it is about a 2 hour drive across the place coming up from Atlanta. Best to come in from the hwy 411 side if you plan to go to the range.

You can also go to www.gohuntgeorgia.com and download maps of all of the WMA's. If you need any other help send me a PM, I'd be glad to help. I've been hunting, camping and hiking in that area since the 1970's. My favorite place
Old March 25, 2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
I'm sure there are mountains that aren't part of the Appalachian mountain range.
Not within 5 hrs of Atlanta though, and none high enough to still have snow
Old March 25, 2015, 08:30 PM   #7
skizzums

well, we just got a cabin in the cohutta, I haven't been in awhile anyways, I did hear some freezing forecasts in Atlanta this weekend so coud get lucky. i'll prob hit up jacks river falls for a day and maybe do some mild climbing. my son would really love to see some snow, we didn't get a centimeter this year. I have never used the WMA range out there, I always drive by the range sign before heading to the top to beech bottom trail(I think?), not bringing much firepower, just my carry and the lever, but i'll prob check it out. thanks for the replies.
Old March 26, 2015, 08:04 AM   #8
jasmith85

Quote:
my son would really love to see some snow, we didn't get a centimeter this year.
I am always amazed at how different weather can be just one state away. I live in middle Tennessee and we always receive a little snow, but this year was a heavy snow fall year. We had 10+ inches twice in February.
Old March 26, 2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Snyper

Quote:
I am always amazed at how different weather can be just one state away.
It can be totally different over a distance of less than 200 miles.

It's rare to get a lasting snowfall here, but just a little bit to the West it's quite common.

My weather is affected by ocean temperatures, so it can swing 50 degrees from one day to the next with a change of wind direction.

It was in the 80's today, and we have a frost/freeze warning a few days from now