The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 29, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Devdev08

remington 1100

I just bought a Remington 1100 online and looking for reassurance I got a good deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=417856404
Old May 29, 2014, 11:34 PM   #2
colbad

A little rough for my taste from the photo, but a great gun in general. I love my old 1100 and have put thousands of rounds through it on the trap/skeet range and only have changed the gas/O rings. My Uncle gave it to me when I was a poor college student shooting on my college team back in 1977-81. It was probably 20 years old back then. Although I can now afford pretty much any kind of gun made, it is still fun to occasionally shoot the old 1100 and recall some great memories. It also still comes to shoulder like it was custom made.

Yours would probably make a good truck or duck blind gun as is. Sometimes, having a knock around gun you don't mind getting scratched is not a bad thing if reliable. I would get some new gas rings to have on hand. Take it to someone who knows how to put on a recoil pad and that will resolve the issue there. $300 is not too bad if it functions reliable. If you are good with wood, I would consider refinishing it.
Old May 30, 2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Virginian

If you don't have one, download an owner's manual and read it. That can save you a lot of grief. I have had at least one Model 1100 for 51 years, and still have five. I have owned and shot a LOT of other semi autos but I have never found another one I liked as well. I have probably worked on hundreds of them, and have seen a ton of owner induced problems. It is the best selling semi auto of all time, and there is probably more misinformation on the internet about the 1100 than any other two semi autos combined. If you have an issue, it is usually a simple problem, and you do not need drills or hammers to fix it. Take advice on the gun very cautiously. A lot of people own them so they think they are experts; they are not. If you take decent care of it, it will serve you well.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:05 AM   #4
g.willikers

That's a good buy.
You did plenty ok.
Give it a good cleaning, replace the butt with a good recoil pad and it will serve you well, for many years.
They are still great guns.
Owners' manual:
http://www.remington.com/Pages/News-...s-Manuals.aspx
Disassembly videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...remington+1100
Old May 30, 2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Devdev08

I'm glad to hear I did ok I just went out on a whim when I saw it and it had under a hour left and next thing I knew it was 4 minutes left for only $308 I thought man I need it. Then I got done and said I know nothing about this gun.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Pahoo

Just barely

Quote:
I just bought a Remington 1100 online and looking for reassurance I got a good deal.
These are old friends to me and still own one. By my measure, you just barely did a good deal. There is so much that is not showing and hope that internally it's still okay. These are some of my favorite shotguns and they are work-horses and can really take a beating. I'm suspicious of the sling swivels and the toe area of the buttstock. ...

JMHO

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!
Old May 30, 2014, 01:48 PM   #7
BigJimP

Stock and forend are in pretty rough shape..../ and like description said, the barrel has been replaced - but with an upgraded barrel with changeable screw in chokes.

So you probably did ok ....if it turns out to be mechanically reliable.
--------------
You can probably sand and repair most of the nicks / and improve the crack repair in the forend....and put a new coat of varnish on it, make it look a lot better( good winter project )....

Even if you have cycling problems with it....a knowledgeable Rem 1100 shooter can help you out / or a lot of gunsmiths are familiar with the design for probably under $ 200 worst case.
Old June 3, 2014, 10:56 AM   #8
gunnut69

High guys! New here but you did well on this buy. The 1100's only weak spot is its a gas gun. They foul badly with heavy loads such as may be used pheasant hunting. The A5 is better in that respect.. But with screw in chokes you did really well. Note the sling studs are NOT OEM.
Old June 3, 2014, 11:15 AM   #9
gunnut69

duplicate post.
Old June 3, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Virginian

Quote:
The 1100's only weak spot is its a gas gun. They foul badly with heavy loads such as may be used pheasant hunting. The A5 is better in that respect.
Horse hockey. I have been shooting 1100s for 51 years, and I have never had one stop on me, and that includes when shooting my VERY heavy filthy heavy Blue Dot handloads. A lot of Auto 5 lovers were dogging the 1100 when it first came out, and then a few years later, a whole lot of them were shooting 1100s. It will not go as long between cleanings as an inertia design, but I have gone 400 rounds at least. I clean all my guns anytime I shoot them.
Old June 3, 2014, 10:55 PM   #11
shortwave

Beating a dead horse but you did 'just' okay.

Has the stock been cut/shortened? The butt plate fits as though it has.

Quote:
The 1100's only weak spot is its a gas gun. They foul badly with heavy loads such as may be used pheasant hunting. The A5 is better in that respect.
Quote:
Horse hockey.
+1 on the 'Horse Hockey'.
Old June 4, 2014, 12:00 AM   #12
Devdev08

Quote:
shortwave
Has the stock been cut/shortened? The butt plate fits as though it has.
I don't think it was cut but I haven't gotten the gun yet it's still being delivered. It doesn't say it has in the description. But I will probably replace the stock on it anyways. I think I will make this a project gun and customize it how I like.
Old June 4, 2014, 06:44 AM   #13
lmccrock

I have shot an 1100 in 3-gun for about 10 years. There are parts which will fail, and there is the occasional death jam, but works pretty good. Never had an issue with fouling; I have gone 100's of rounds between cleanings. But every time I open it up, I change the o-ring.

One thing which must be highlighted to any new 1100 owner: Do not EVER put your fingers on the inside of the receiver, especially above the trigger group. The machined edges have not been polished and those sharp edges will RIP YOUR FINGER TO SHREDS. Don't ask how I know.
Old June 4, 2014, 08:10 AM   #14
g.willikers

Yeah, 1100s are very reliable.
About the only time they act up is due to the above mentioned rubber O-ring or the gas ports getting clogged.
A two minute fix.
The O-rings should be the ones made for the gun, but hardware store versions work just fine, too.
The trick is to protect them, when removing or replacing them, from the threads at the end of the mag tube.
Occasional cleaning them helps, including the insides of the mag tube.
Old June 4, 2014, 08:57 AM   #15
AllenJ

It is a brave man who first makes the purchase then asked if he did OK

I think you did fine. I finally purchased an 1100 a few years ago and I really enjoy it. Keep some spare O rings on hand, keep the guns action and barrel ports clean and it should serve you as well as mine is serving me.
Old June 4, 2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Pahoo

Always reliable !!!

Throughout years of shooting the 1100's and I have owned five, I have only encountered one problem and at the time, it was big one. This was during one deer season and that morning, it was -5 Deg.F. The gun would not cycle as the cold had turned my auto, into a single shot. The was not the fault of the gun, but rather my choice of lube. That was the last season I used Rem-Oil and gladly gave what I had, to a buddy.. ....

Quote:
They foul badly with heavy loads such as may be used pheasant hunting.
Hardly, but you do have to clean them, watch the O-Ring, don't forget to clean the ports piston parts and cylinder. I use to clean them before and after each hunting season. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 4, 2014, 09:00 PM   #17
Virginian

I have used RemOil with no problems down to minus 11 F, but I do not use it heavily. Spray and wipe off. I have one O ring that has been in service since 1967 with well over 100,00 rounds thru it. Call it a test in progress. I have never lost an O ring in service on 13 different ones, none newer than 1979; they do not move they provide a static seal. They get torn by inattention during assembly and disassembly. I did tear one running my mouth while reassembling my 20 gauge, and I have run over 2 spares with my chair on the concrete floor. Viton will not go away from contact with solvents or lubes.
Oops, I lied. Two 11-87s were newer than that.
P.S. - use an old toothbrush to clean the inside of the receiver, and a shaving brush works great on the trigger group.
Old June 6, 2014, 12:25 AM   #18
340 Weatherby

Best autoloader ever produced in my opinion. I bought one back in the early 80's to hunt with down in Mexico. You are only allowed to take two shotguns down there and for years it was my 1100 plus a .410 Citori. That 1100 ate every shell I ran through it from dove loads to 1 1/2 Oz. duck loads. In fact I still have a few cases of Activ nickel plated #6's that killed everything. Between my friends and I, there were 6 1100's in our group. what we began to notice was when the bluing began to wear out on the magazine tube, that is the beginning of the end for an 1100. But what we dealt with down there was a really fine dust that just went everywhere. Your gun was basically covered in an abrasive powder after a day of walking cornfields for Pheasants. The teflon coated magazine tube on the Beretta's spelled doom for the future of the Remingtons. It's a shame because everyone shoots an 1100 well.
Old June 6, 2014, 04:31 AM   #19
Virginian

Well, I have managed to avoid such dust, but most of the bluing was gone off my magazine tube decades ago, and it still runs like a champ, so I don't know what yall's problem was. In fact most of the bluing has been gone off the magazine tubes on all four of mine decades ago. The old style piston and piston seal are designed to compensate for wear and as far as I know it works. My oldest has over 115,000 rounds thru it now. I have "retired" it to duty as my 12 gauge clay targets gun, but I rarely shoot anything but the smaller gauges at anything but waterfowl anymore. And Teflon wears a lot faster than steel does.
I think it was Beretta's marketing about the ability to run longer without cleaning and a lot of people's desire for what seems to be the "latest and greatest", plus a lot of negative rumors about what was wrong with 1100s from owners who screwed theirs up and the O ring myth hurt Remington. Not saying Beretta doesn't build a good gun and they will go longer between cleanings, but my Remington has always run clean enough, even with filthy Blue Dot reloads.
Perception is a funny thing. Thru sheer marketing genius, Benelli had a ton of people, including ones who knew very little believing that Benelli was the shotgun for a while. If you wanted to raise money with a raffle; you raffled a Benelli. That wave seems to be over now. They do build good guns, and an inertia action being so simple does have some plusses, but soft recoil without two piece stocks and whatever else sure isn't one of them. Their high pricing made people start to consider other choices too, but since Beretta holdings owns Franchi and Stoeger also I don't guess they care too much.

Last edited by Virginian; June 6, 2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old June 7, 2014, 08:06 PM   #20
Devdev08

I just got the gun today it looks just the like the pictures I think I might just replace the stock but keeps the old ones for beaters. Will let you know when I shoot it but it did come assembled wrong not sure why .
Old June 7, 2014, 08:39 PM   #21
rs97

Sometimes you can find stock and forefend on eBay at very reasonable prices.
Old June 8, 2014, 09:52 AM   #22
Nathan

Great gun in rough shape. I have never seen one for under $400. Is that a Wingmaster?

It looks like a good candidate to match up with some better wood or maybe a synthetic stock.
Old June 8, 2014, 10:10 AM   #23
g.willikers

The synthetic stock is a good idea.
Remington's is quite stiff and, being hollow, is a good place to add weight to reduce recoil and help with balance.
You can also hide your money there.
Old June 8, 2014, 04:43 PM   #24
joe45c

Nathan asks, is that a wingmaster? Nathan the wingmaster designation was given to the 870 Remington pump shotgun. Devdev08's gun is clearly a Remington 1100, semi-auto, not a pump. I think $350 is a decent deal, and if he puts a little money into a forearm, and stock, he will have a gun that will last a long time. Enjoy your 1100, I love mine.
Old June 8, 2014, 08:49 PM   #25
Nathan

Thanks for the correction Joe. I wasn't sure if they designated a higher grade with the 1100's. I have an 1100, but it is a matte blue finish.